Dyeing blue denim

chris100575

I've recently acquired a couple of lightish blue denim skirts. I was toying with the idea of dyeing at least one of them black, as 99% of my other clothes are. Can anyone offer any suggestions as to how well this is likely to work, what's the easiest / best dye to use etc? I've not done anything like this before, so really have no idea what I'm doing! Thanks, Chris

Over here (in the U.S.), "Rit" dye is available in stores like Wal-Mart, craft shops and sometimes supermarkets. It is available in powdered or liquid form, in a variety of colors. Basically, you dissolve the dye in warm water and soak your article in the bath, far more detailed instructions are given on the package. I can say from experience that it can be messy but I had fairly good results dyeing a couple of shirts bright red. Dyeing something black should produce fairly good results regardless of the original color. The black dye should just add to and overpower whatever original color was there. You might consider trying it on a pair of jeans or something before you risk one of the skirts.

Have a happy time!

Thanks for the help JMC. There's a Hobbycraft not far from where I live, I might have a run down there this weekend and see what they have to offer. I have a black plastic bucket that I might use so that I don't dye my bath with it! Chris

I ended up going shopping today, and while I was there called in at Hobbycraft to look at the dye. As the two skirts were almost identical, I decided to just dive straight in and dye the one I wore least, working on the assumption that if it went wrong it wouldn't be the end of the world. One box of Dylon black machine dye later, and I'm the happy owner of a black denim skirt! It worked better than I'd hoped, I thought it might end up grey or just very dark blue, but it is actually black. That was £5 well spent. I think I'll leave the other one blue for a while and see if I wear it now I've got a black one. If not, I'll dye that one too! Chris

• 1 month later...

Any way to reverse dyeing (blue cotton jacket/inside of jeans dyed darker:evil:

Bleach can remove color, just be careful with it. It can damage the fabric too!

A few wash cycles in some bleach water should lighten the color noticeably.

Have a happy time!