Drying shoes & boots (homemade shoedryer)

lion

Lately I bought a beautifull pair of Sendra boots. But after I wore them for a whole day I noticed the other day that the boots were still a bit moist inside. So I set out to find a solution for this. Obviously heating them is not the solution. After a while I found there are actually shoedryers :

Peet Shoe Dryer - electric shoe dryer, foot odor cure

Boot Dryers - Accessory Dryers at DryGuy

However, this didn't stop me from having a go at it :

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

It's just a bunch of PVC piping and a fan (just ventilation, no heating), took less then a hour to build. What do you think of it?

lion.

P.S. Somehow it doesn't seem to work with sandals :evil:

It is unfortunate but all too true that altogether too many people have no idea what they're doing with their leather products (particularly shoes). Since a more durable and practical material is difficult to imagine, it only makes sense to care for those leather products that you've sunk your hard-earned money into. Therefore, as a leather crafter, I would like to offer some pointers: 1] Leather products (particularly shoes and boots) should be protected from water and moisture at all times. Never wear shoes or boots outside in wet weather without properly fitted rubber overshoes. Handbags and purses should also be properly protected from rain and moisture. 2] If your leather product (particularly shoes or boots) should become wet: a] try to remove the water with towels as soon as possible; b] never attempt to dry the product with any kind of heat - especially placing the product near a fireplace or source of heat; c] do use shoe trees to restore the shape of the shoes or boots; d] do not attempt to wear the shoes of boots while they are still wet or damp. 3] Periodic use of waxes and polish on any leather product is highly recomended as is the use of shoe trees (preferably wood or plastic). 4] The use of talcum powder will help to remove foot and/or body moisture (mild forced air may be okay, but forced air may tend to cause the leather to crack or split. 5] the use of thick socks (particularly wool in winter) in any kind of leather boot is highly recomended because of their moisture absorbing ability, and boots should always be purchased while wearing thick socks. 6] Tall boots should always be stored standing up with trees to hold them erect and allow air to flow inside. A little care will help to preserve those valuable leather products for many decades. I have shoes that are more than 30 years old. As for PVC pipes and forced air fans - well you are on yer own.

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

I think it's a stellar invention! Get's the moisture out, hopefully without heat. By the way, whether leather dries slow or fast is immaterial, provided it dries at room temperature. It's the heat which causes the natural oils in the leather to gassify. I echo your comments on waxes, particularly combined waxes (waxes with leather conditioners and oils), as they will protect the leather from the elements, which, frankly, I've encountered all too often, here!

• 2 weeks later...