Eurovision 2006 song contest

Guest Allu

Guest Allu

Can you Imagine that Finland won after 40 years of participation. In the past there were some broker agency which told that mankind will sooner find live out in the space than Finland will won Eurovision song contest. He was so sure and he got statistics to prove that. Lord was a show but not a traditional song. Personally I liked songs from Germany and Norway.

I was travelling when it happened, and I can tell you my jaw dropped on my lap when I heard it the next morning when I called my wife. First I was a little upset that Lordi got through the preselections (before they won), not because they weren't good or anything but just it would shake the old Eurovision house to bits (for better or for worse) and I don't think it's Finland's style to get attention by getting totally whacky - more by doing extraordinary things unnoticed and then get praised for the results. This was pretty much the opposite. When I had accepted that it was perhaps a good thing that this old farts' association at Eurovision got shown something else, I got worried that we might really win this damn competition, and I would not be happy to see YLE (the national broadcaster) to come tell that the TV-maksu (telly license fee) would need to be increased from 200 Euro to something in the quarter-thousands never to come down again. Not that I can't afford it but I don't want to pay for that media circus full of useless crap songs and then keep on paying it to YLE just because they can ask whatever they want. In the first few days after we really won I was admittedly a little proud and came up with a theory that it is actually quite Finnish what Lordi did - find a niche and excel in it, and beat everyone in an unexpected home-run. Ok, these guys are hideous, and it gives me the creeps to look at Putaansuu or any of the other band members (boy are they ugly), but they at least had a real plan (unlike Lithuania for example... horrible) and they executed it. And we won, and that's what it's all about, right? Then, over last long "helatorsai" weekend (last thursday was a free day here for something that has religious roots but nobody really knows the details or cares - free day is free day and the weather was nice) I was building at our house and had the radio on. It didn't matter which station the radio was on, I could not avoid being hit in the face with it at least 5 times per day. That's all right, some national pride is good from times to times. But what I hate is that there were so many naggers when they won the preselections about what outrage it was, but now they are slapping themselves on the chest from being the country that _won_ the Eurovision. I generally hate people who are inconsistent. Not to say that I never drift in my opinions, only stupid people never change their mind, but daring to take credit for something that is the achievement of people who you were pissing on a week ago is just low. About the song, it isn't really all that bad! I'm actually listening to it now :roll: It's not real hard rock, so hard to dislike for being too rough. It's a little "pop" even. Not Abba-kind-of-pop but more Nickelbackish. Not quite Alice Cooper even. Maybe a little. Well, hard to explain. If these fellows just wouldn't wear those scary suits... I might even become a fan! But... now the Eurovision circus is coming to my home town...! Uh-oh! I was living in Belgium when Belgium won, not in Brussels though, but now it really will happen on my door mat. It will probably take place in the Fair Center in Pasila I guess? That's just 7min from here by train... B

What's all the fuss about?

I thought Lordi were worthy winners. :roll: I watch Eurovision every year and have usually forgotten all of the songs five minutes after the contest is over. It's great to have something different that is also quite good. Hard... Rock... Halellujah! (yep, I still remember it)

• 3 weeks later...

In the UK people tend not to take it at all seriously (especially our dreadful entrant this year : I think he should have been called Null points). The best thing about the ESC in the UK is our commentator - Terry Wogan - who makes it a thoroughly enjoyable show to watch with his dry humour and fantastic commentary. There were some genuinely good songs and the Finnish entry was a good shot in the arm for the contest. The thing that spoils it, if one was to take it seriously, is the blatant biased voting between friendly nations. GGxxx