Tips/Tricks/Etc

sscotty727

Hi All,

I figured I would create this thread of tips and tricks we figure out when wearing heels, clogs, mules, etc.

A few I have come up with so far:

1) If you have heels that are causing your feet (especially the ball/arch) I have found a VERY good insert by Dr Scholl that works great.

Posted Image

You can get these from almost any drug store. The package says 6-10, but I take a size 11 and they work great. I just bought a pair for my wife and I was surprised this morning she was wearing her shoes (same as my avatar) and said the inserts make them VERY comfortable and she could actually wear them all the time now. This coming from someone who just this weekend complained about even a slight heel.

They also make a ball of foot pad out of the same material (same line, "For Her") but I found they don't stuck as well and tend to get shifted around as you walk. If you need the extra length, I also found you can use the two (insert and ball of foot), just stick the ball of foot to the end of the insert to extend it. That works well.

2) My clogs, I have found that wearing nylons with them make my foot too slippery and I tend to "walk" out of them alot. I tried wearing cotton socks, but I like the feel of nylon better. You have two options here.

a) Get the ankle sock and wear them over your nylons. The disadvantage is you can see the socks from whatever part of your foot is stiking out of the shoe. If you want to nylon look, not great.

:D I just tried a pair of what is called "Toe Covers". They make them in both, nylon and cotton. I would suggest the cotton. Basically, its a sock that just covers the lower part of your foot (I suppose you could just cut a pair of socks and them sew it around the cut part) or you can buy them at pretty much anywhere. They give you the extra thickness to hold your foot in while leaving the rest of your foot bare or in nylons. This works GREAT for clogs, and might even work well for shoes/heels that are a tad too big. Lil-Becs, you might want to give this a try as well and see if your heels fit better.

Anyway, as people think of advice/tips, we can keep this thread going.

Scotty

I use Dr. Scholl's Tri-Comfort Orthotics in boots which don't have enough arch in them. They have a padded heel cup and arch support, but little or nothing forward of that, and are flexible enough to fit in high heel pumps or boots.

Here is another tip.

The gel inserts I mentioned above work great, but in certain shoes the arch is more straight than arched. What I did was get the "ball of foot" insert in the same brand (For Her) and instead of putting them in the ball of the foot, I put them at the arch (pointing the other way from the instructions). This gives the shoe more of an arch you see in better made heels. The results are VERY comfortable shoes.

Here is a pictures so you can see what I mean.

Posted Image

UPDATE: Since I took the pic, I found placing the "ball of foot" pad UNDER the gel insert and moving slightly closer to the heel (you could try and adjust it until it feels right) works better. However, it is still the same concept. I did my wife's shoes this morning and she said she could definitely tell the difference. Since she is prone to her feet hurting when wearing heels, I plan on doing this to all her heels.

This one really works well.

As I mentioned earlier, my wife complains about even the slightest heel after walking a while. To my surprise all last week and this whole weekend she wore her heels like the ones picture below (sorry, they are my feet, don't have one with her feet or shoes alone, but they are exactly the same, just 6 1/2 vs my 11). We even went to a kids show on Sunday and she had to walk a while and never once complained her feet hurt. Didn't even kick them off in the van like she normally does. I am going to have to put the same in her other heels. I am also going to try to do that to my clogs this weekend and let you know.

Scotty

Posted Image