Barefoot and flat shoes

viktoriaheels

I am wearing now heels since more than 20 years (seems to be awful long and shows how old I am :smile: ). Now I have the problem that I can't go back to flat shoes or running around barefoot, as my calves hurt awfully when I try to do so. My doctor explained to me that probably my tendons have shortened and advised me to lower my heels slowly to reduce the pain. Otherwise I could have a permanent damage. I would like to know if anyone of you has the same problem. What do you do, when you are at the beach or do other activities where heels seem to be out of place.

Never without 5" heels, and always with a very short skirt

Susan(the original) appears to have s similar situation, although to her it is a "Non-Problem", and likes it that way.

"All that you can decide, is what to do with the time that is given you."--Gandalf,

"Life is not tried, it is merely survived

-If you're standing outside the fire."--Garth Brooks

I don't think, that it is a "problem". It just happens to be that way. I don't mind to continue to wear my heels - not at all. Just want to know, how other girls think about it.

I stretch my tendons every few days. All I do is sit or lie down, and then push out my heels, to pull on the tendons. I work my feet back and forth, trying to keep everything worked in. Point your toes, then reverse, that sort of thing. Just start stretching those tendons and you'll get them a bit flexible again. You'll be able to go from barefoot to five inches without blinking.

Thank you Laurie, the stretching seems to be a good idea, hope it will help. By the way, there is very often "Susan (The original)" mentioned in the boards. May anybody tell me who this person is? She seems to be a goodess of the highheeled community.

• 3 weeks later...

victoriaheels - i don't know if your tendons really shorten or not, i am not a md. however, i normally wear western boots with a heel that is about 1 3/4 all the time and then can go directly to my 5" or 5 1/2" heels without any problem and then go back. my s/o has been wearing high heels for better than 20 years. the lowest is probably 2 1/2 because that is what was stylish. thats how old she is. (she never wore platforms). she seems to have no trouble going from a sneaker to a high heel or reverse. but i think i can walk better in 5 1/2 better than she can in 5". i tell her that she needs to practice like jenny says. the only time her calves seem to bother is when she has been on her feet all day in sneakers or or after dancing in tall heels all night. although, there are not that many places to go where you can dance to really decent music in rural minnesota. everybody is into the new rock?? like anything, you still should flex and stretch all your muscles regularly. if i don't i get stiff all over. that's telling how old i am.

patent leather and classic high heel pumps area.

• 6 years later...