Making Ballet boots/shoes comfortable

OK the first thing is that I cannot take any credit for the idea here – as this was inspired by A3’s description, this is really my experience in executing it.

Introduction.

Upon buying my ballet boots (knee-length leather style 2020), I was aware of the need to provide padding for the toes, initially I used some toilet tissue placed around my toes, this was great, however after just a couple of times, the tissue – which had “stuck” in the toe area came out with my toes, upon replacing it – numerous times, I was unable to get a comfortable fit.

I then used cotton-wool, as this is the “normal” thing to use, however all attempts in making it comfortable just didn’t work – OK once or twice it worked out, but most of the time it was awkward and a lot of effort. I did however remember back when I was a puppy at ballet classes (I wasn’t very good, so gave up – ever seen a clumsy bull in a china shop? :D ), anyway I remembered that the girls at the en-pointe stage put cotton-wool between, and around the toes – then wrap surgical tape around, - this in the main, worked.

By wrapping 3 flat strips of wool in a sort of figure of eight around two toes for each strip (no I haven’t got 6 toes! – the last just went around one toe ;) ), then one piece around the end, followed by wrapping the whole thing in surgical tape – it worked great!

Of course this also meant about 15 minutes each time, and lots of un-wrapping at the end. :lol:

One other option is the toe things by Blicker – search for “Zehenschoner “ or “0052-BA-S” on http://www.blicker-schuhe.de/ these were only Euro 10, however the postage was something like Euro 15! In addition I didn’t see how it could help between the toes – after all it would just force them together – so it would be back to cotton-wool between the toes and the Zehenschoner.

So after careful consideration I decided to follow A3’s suggestion with the silicone inserts.

How I did it.

The idea is quite simple, using silicone, then use your own feet to form a mould in it, allow to set, and there you have it.

In practice I was somewhat nervous – after all these were new boots, and of course how to prevent my feet from sticking? I tried a number of things prior to going for the feet – hand-cream, silicone spray etc. and following a few trials I came-up with a combination, soaking the skin with baby lotion – making sure it was dry before and after, then a generous coating of baby oil (note to self – must remember to use that in the bedroom :lol:), with this combination all the trials shown an easy – effortless release.

On the day, I made sure I could dedicate something like 8 hours (I guess you don’t actually need this long), firstly I soaked my feet with the baby lotion, then filled each shoe with approximately 91 cubic centimetres of silicone sealant (about ¼ of a standard tube), I allowed this to “skin-off” whilst I prepared my feet, this is where I got it wrong! :lol:

Still nervous about getting my feet stuck, I decided to cut some fingers out of some latex gloves, and place these over my first three toes to act as an additional barrier (I couldn’t do any more since the glove-fingers were loose on the smaller toes), then I coated my feet with baby oil, placed some cotton-wool between the toes, and inserted my feet into the shoes.

I then sat and worked etc for the rest of the day, but without actually attempting to walk or put any weight on the toes, so it took some forward planning to ensure all the papers, notes, drinks etc. were next to the computer.

Because of this I was able to leave it about 8 hours to set, at the end I pulled my feet out – but there was a problem! :lol: The toes with the latex glove covering had stuck – of course my toes popped out OK, but the latex was left partially stuck to the silicone. Upon pulling the latex out individually I found the silicone underneath had not set (no air) – so I re-oiled my foot and re-inserted for about ½ an hour – then it was OK.

The boot was then at a strange stage, the “insert” is held in shape by the cured silicone, whilst the inner part is still fluid, so it was not possible to put any weight on it for a few days. Essentially the silicone cures with contact to the air, so slowly cures through the thickness – rapidly at first, but slowing down, the guide figure is 1mm per hour, but for thick sections considerably longer.

The result is as good as I could have hoped, the cotton-wool between the toes allowed a slight non-silicone filled gap which allows the stockings to fit through – no problems with my stockings trying to stretch over the toe and between, and stops the toes being cramped together, almost immediately after curing I was able to stand so much more comfortably than with any of the previous options.

I would not hesitate to do this again, but this time, after proving a good release method, I would not “modify it to be sure”! :D

Here is my best picture of the result:

Posted Image

(I have been fighting all weekend to try and get some decent photos)

BB

Looking very nice. I have a few questions about the gel though. You said that you put cotton-wool between your toes when making the gel forms and that left room for stockings. Does that mean that you have to always use cotton-wool when wearing them now to get a proper fit? Also, how much room does the gel form take up in the shoe? I assume it's no more than any other type of padding but I was just curious. That's all for now but if I have any more questions I'll be sure to ask.

Hi, there is no need for cotton wool each time, I don’t use it at all, I only did that so that the silicone did not go completely around the toe. The other option is to do it without the wool, and then cut the central join between each toe, although if you don’t wear stockings etc, then I would guess it isn’t needed at all. It doesn’t take much room at all – the more you put in, the more support is provided further up your foot, so you can decide, the whole point for me was that it provides support exactly to your own foot shape, so fits that just as it’s needed. BB

That's good to hear. I never thought about just cuttint the parts between the toes away. It makes sense but sounds a bit tricky. I would have to wear something with them -- had I a pair mind you -- because I sweat a lot, but it's good to know that it's still possible. Another questions I had is one dealing with sizing. I have very large feet -- I measured them but I have no idea what exact sizing that might be but the left foot is 10.75" long and 4.25" wide, the right is 10.5" long and 4.5" wide (I know that equates to big but if anyone knows approxamately what size that would be plz let me know) -- and I was wondering how the gel would accomodate stretching. I assume one would stretch prior to putting the gel in but I've been wrong before. Thanks for your help. -Eric

hallo,

thanks BlondeBimbo for the trust and try out to fill up the toebox of your balletboots with silicone kit. And put everything in a nice discription so that others can try it for them self.

perhaps a few extra tips.

*) When the space in the toebox is big it is possible to fill it up first a bit and let the silicone dry before a next layer to put the feet in as a mould. The kit sticks easialy to a old layer.

*) with a wet finger the kit can be easy shaped and when it feels sticky again, clean up the finger, make it wet again and contintue. (water with some soap works even beter)

*) small layer of silicone hardens easier, for example first fill up to the tip of the toes, second time arround the toes and perhaps more fill up around the top of the feet and sole.

*) when someone want to use socks/panty in the balletheels it's possible. Put a plastic bag close over the foot with socks and then make the mould in the silicone, After one or two hours remove the feet and sock out of the bag and let the kid harden out. The drying time can be beter when there are some small holes from a needle or seisors has been put in the bag to let air to the silicone for it's stiffen up.

When there are more questions please go ahead. I have done this a few times and I am will to help others. And perhaps the pictures give a idea how another set of toons have set in the silicone-kid.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Good luck on going in ballet heels

A3

• 4 weeks later...

where can i get the silicone? and is there any special type i need?

Here in the U.S. it's in tubes that has a nozzle at the hardware store and you use what we call a cocking gun. That push from the back forcing the stuff through the nozzle. It's used on windows and bathrooms. There not very expensive at most 5 bucks for the best stuff, But I suggest looking around for something that will cure in less time. Any one got any ideas???

Hello, :wave: my name is Hoverfly. I’m a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!  👠1998 to 2022!

• 4 months later...

Silicone is not the best because it hardens very slowly as its solvent evaporates. Foam used for packages and for building insulation around windows and doors is better because it sets in about 10 minutes. The best material is epoxy putty because it is the most durable. It sets in 5 to 10 minutes. The putty is hard and stronger than wood, so it is difficult to remove from the shoe. The foam and the putty are warm as they set. If you mix in a lot of setting compound into the putty, it will set fast, but it will be too hot for comfort. The foam and the putty are very sticky before they set. Wrap up your feet in thin polyethylene foil used by painters to make sure they do not stick to your feet.