Proposed Definition of Low, Medium, High and Fetish Shoes

polkadot

polkadot

You raised the proposal of definition of shoes, and then opened it out for a consensus; most of the people have indicated a practical measure based upon heel height.

In reading your posts it appears far from accepting the opinions of the many people who have indicated the preference for heel height vs shoe size, the opinions will be accepted only if they agree with your desire to use the front angle measurement.

I described in brief the key method used for medical analysis – which you indicated wouldn’t work – which is a pity since that is what’s used! :lol: - For medical/anatomical studies, the measurement is the muscle extension – any shortening of the Achilles tendon is of course irrelevant as in the high heel this, like the Plantar ligaments & fascia are all in a shortened state, it is the upper foot which is extended. Of course simple studies will use the angle of the sagittal plane to the ankle point and the ankle flexion but this ignores the motion in the metatarsals, which is significant in the case of high heel shoes. – Most football players and runners don’t run in high heel shoes so the analysis here uses the simpler case. (At least not on the field or open track!) (Note before anyone corrects me – I know the simple method is borderline for sprinters ;) )

The two problems with using the front angle of the foot are firstly it’s not a simple measurement, and secondly it is not fixed for a given shoe, feet vary in all dimensions, not just length and width, but also in height, so I may wear a pair of heels, and with my low midfoot – the front face may be vertical, someone else of identical size, but with a higher midfoot wearing the same shoes could have a front face a few degrees beyond the vertical.

Others have also indicated this in many of the prior posts.

In practical terms none of the above are useful, measuring the line from the calcaneus to the head of the first metatarsal can only really be done by x-ray or similar, so how else would you determine the sagittal plane? Also I have never seen shoes sold – “this shoe will give a front face of 12 deg, for a 20% midfoot, 10 deg for a 25% midfoot…”

Of course one can go into the nth degree in determining angles taking into account sole thickness, shank thickness, shank curve, point of inflexion, but the major factor has to be the heel height vs shoe size, and for all practical purposes that’s all you need.

Exactly as Dr Shoe suggests!

.. In saying that hhberlin has raised another possibility - which is even simplier!

Take a standard size, say size 39 (size 6 UK, is that 8 ½ US?) – and assume the transitions are as Dr shoe proposed:

<1.5 Low. 1.5-3 Med, 3-4.5 High, >4.5 Ultra high

Then for each size up or down you add or subtract 1/8” - thus for size 41 (UK 7, US 9?) that’s two sizes up so add ¼” and the transition to ultra high becomes 4.75”

For UK and US that’s just the same as an adjustment of 1/8” for each ½ size. – so size UK 5 is two half sizes down, so subtract ¼” and the transition to ultra high becomes 4.25”

So the only info needed is

Size 39/UK6/US8.5 - <1.5 Low. 1.5-3 Med, 3-4.5 High, >4.5 Ultra high

For each size up/down, or each ½ size UK/US – add/subtract 1/8”.

That does KISS!

I know the shank angle changes in extreme cases, however – when does that occur?

The answer is in the ultra-high range anyhow!

Of course, if you wish, use the front angle, call it whatever you like, never the less I will still buy a pair of shoes based on the comfort, heel height, style etc.

I know a pair of 5” shoes will be fine for me all day at work, that they look good (most people consider I wear very high heels), what anyone’s classification is, is fine by me.

The definition depends upon the purpose, if the purpose is to ensure a favourite definition is “official” – it’s as good as any other.

BB

Wow, blonde, wears heels AND has a brain!!!!!! I am impressed!

Scotty

hallo, now we getting some wear. a few man leed the discussion but ladies wears high heel a lot and have a better feeling what is the look of it. We men are leed thrue the mind and the fantasy of wearers of high heel (special ladies), movements ballance etc. In a artikle I read the how higher the heel how more indepentsy the lady will become of the man or be avalible to the man. And in that way men are sometime thinking. But for lady to look to the shoe, keep it simple like BlondeBimbo says. The heel, shape and fitting could be comfortable to wear in combination where to wear the high heel shoes. And with pride of doing it. So everybody please keep on walking of high heel, then both sex know how it feels. A3

Dr. Shoe does not understand fourth grade geometry and difference between "less than symbol" and "greater than symbol," so it is hard to argue with him about geometry. :argue:

I have always confused them! ;)

But whether I use the right symbol or not, the theory is still valid- At least that's what my college thought when they graded my paper.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

I am still a bimbo though.

BB

But you're no dumb blonde.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

But at least you know you say dumb things from time to time.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.