Pavings in shopping centres and city centres.

Why o why do shopping centres and city centres think it is a good idea to pedestrianise the area with stupid little brick-sized paving – with nice gaps between!! Today I had to go to a meeting in Glasgow, nearest car park is in Cambridge st, so a quick walk in the rain through the centre is called for – now normally I can rely on my “stiletto sense” to avoid the gaps --- but not today! Arghh! :lol::D So following the meeting, I had to have my heels repaired! - £7.50 for new tips!! – Funny how there is always a “While-U-Wait” shoe bar in city centres where the paved area is! ;) Whilst I sat there bored watching the cobbler stretching the job out – so it looks like £7.50 worth of repair, I got to think about maths & probability. :o Paver ~ 3 3/4” wide, gap ¼” wide, but the last ¼” of the paver is sloped, so chances of hitting the gap = ¾”, in a space of 4” That’s over a chance of 1 in 5 of hitting a gap with your heel in each step!!!! :lol: What idiot thought that would be a good pavement surface for shopping areas? :lol::lol: Especially as most shoppers are female – and we tend as a species to like & wear shoes! :D BB

Cardiff - but that's like wales! Didn't know they had roads - even the Romans avoided it for the most part! - Sorry but as a puppy I had to spend three weeks in a caravan in abergele every year around my birthday - the Summer holidays. OK North wales I grant you, but the experiance is etched into my brain now! Mum & Dad thought it was great - sat in a caravan, the rain pounding off the roof unable to sleep with the noise, and of course when it got warm, the caravan is like an oven, no fridge (well unless you call that pot thing you added water to the top which kept stuff inside about 1 deg cooler than outside a fridge), - only allowed to buy one ice cream a day from the shop - which run out after two days of sun - after all by then it was a heat wave and there was a water shortage. Worst of all when I was a little puppy, it appears I liked a Rabbit ride - with the song "Run Rabbit run" - by the time I was a teanager my parents still reminded me of that.... Arghhhh!! Croeso i Gymru BB

BlondeBimbo:-) In Scotland you call them a caravan. In the U.S., we call them a camper,or in the case of the larger ones...a Recreation Vehicle or RV. You may not have enjoyed your time in the caravan, but I enjoyed reading about it. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

Bit of confusion with caravans.

There are two types

1) One that is towed behind a car/4x4...

(Nothing like driving along, caravan behind, wind in your hair and a HUGE queue of traffic behind you!!!)

2) Static caravan – never towed – usually set up in a holiday camp.

Which was the type we used for our holidays, the park would only be open for the summer, and had entertainment, crèche, etc.

I thought campers & RVs have their own power – in the UK we call these motor-homes, and the really big ones Winnebagos – like the tribe of native Americans – I think it is also a make of RV in the US.

I know you have trailers – is that the same thing – I thought that was associated with permanent homes – “Pretty white trash”

(Sounds insulting to me – I think trash means gash or rubbish in the UK)

BB

in some parts of the US, even the sidewalks are being covered with bricks that can catch heels. Not to mention the whole grate system in the inner cities that are deadly to heels of all types (except the super chunky ones) I don't know who started that movement, but it's growing. as for campers, RVs and motorhomes, it all depends on the pricerange and use that determinds if it's a high class vacation or a 'white trash' home. I hate the term,but it's what is used RPM

Don't think iv'e seen a thread on caravans and heel wearing, Good idea though. We need a smartass to design a near invisable clip on flat soul that allows us to wear our heels without the worry of poor pathing wherever it may be. Step (5" stiletto ) forward would be designers.

totter along into history

I thought campers & RVs have their own power – in the UK we call these motor-homes, and the really big ones Winnebagos – like the tribe of native Americans – I think it is also a make of RV in the US.

Ah, RV's - a topic I can cover at length if needed!

There are several different types of RV:

* Campers are units that slide into the bed of a pickup truck and can range from a simple shell that does nothing more than cover the truck bed up to units about 12 feet long that weigh several thousand pounds and have all the comforts of home.

* Tent trailers are units that have a solid frame and short walls, and the roof pops up and the ends slide out to reveal the living area, which usually has canvas (or newer synthetic materials) for the walls - most have at least a queen-size bed that slides out on each end and some have slides that open the main floor space even more. They are typically towed with SUVs, trucks, or larger cars.

* Travel trailers are larger trailers that have solid sides and can range from about 12 feet in length to 40 feet, many have slideout sections to increase floor space inside and have many different floor plans available to fit just about any lifestyle. They are towed by pickup trucks, full-size vans, and large SUVs with a hitch mounted below the rear bumper of the tow vehicle.

* Fifth wheel trailers are larger trailers that can be found in lengths from about 16 feet to over 40 feet and can be quite luxurious inside. They can only be towed by large pickup trucks or medium duty trucks because the hitch mechanism is mounted in the bed of the truck - the hitch is the same as what the tractor-trailer semis use.

Class D motorhomes are not very prevalent in the industry right now - they are made by taking a pickup truck cab and frame, cutting out the back wall of the cab, and building a house on the back.

Class C motorhomes are quite common - they start out as a full-size van from the front seats forward, but the area behind the seats is cut off the frame. The industry calls these "cutaway van frames". Then the house is built onto the frame. Sizes range from about 18 feet to over 30 feet. Winnebago is a company that builds a few models in this class.

Class B motorhomes are also called van conversions - a full-size van has the roof extended up to give a bit of head room inside and then the interior is added - they are smaiil inside because they are basically just vans, but they're quite popular with those who don't spend a lot of time inside them. Winnebago also builds some of these.

Class A motorhomes are the large, stereotypical, RV - built from the ground up on a large truck frame they range in size from about 25 feet up to 40 feet and can be extremely luxurious inside. They will either have a large gas engine up front or a large diesel engine out back. Winnebago also has several models in this class.

Bus conversions are the pinnacle of the industry - companies like Prevost or Gillig start with one of their buses (think Greyhound bus here!) and build the interior to the customer's specifications - they are in the 35 foot to 45 foot range and can cost upwards of a few million dollars! ;)

All of the above has nothing to do with heels - but I have worn heels in my fifth wheel trailer a few times!

Aly

Wealth is not measured by how much you have, but rather how little you need.

in some parts of the US, even the sidewalks are being covered with bricks that can catch heels. Not to mention the whole grate system in the inner cities that are deadly to heels of all types (except the super chunky ones)

I don't know who started that movement, but it's growing.

RPM

I agree. On some of the newer layed sidewalks the cracks are awfully large. Im almost forced to actually try to avoid the cracks. And the downtown areas in my city are brutal. They have the little uneven brick pavements too in some spots that they think helps make the area look better. I hate walking on it and i am usually trying to go around it as much as I can.

I know how that is. I had to navigate a brick walkway to the town office just yesterday. Unmortered brick with just dirt inbetween. I swear it's a conspiracy against stiletto wearers by either people who enjoy watching others try to walk on this disaster just waiting to happen or those who just hate heels and heel wearers.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

* Tent trailers are units that have a solid frame and short walls, and the roof pops up and the ends slide out to reveal the living area, which usually has canvas (or newer synthetic materials) for the walls -

LOL....we call these things "pop-up toasters" down here.

They're mostly used by the city folks for vacations at the beach.These things dont cost a furtune to own, are super easy to errect as they "pop-up" and durring the hight of summer the occupants are usually cooked to perfection in about 3 minutes.

jim

I know how that is. I had to navigate a brick walkway to the town office just yesterday. Unmortered brick with just dirt inbetween. I swear it's a conspiracy against stiletto wearers by either people who enjoy watching others try to walk on this disaster just waiting to happen or those who just hate heels and heel wearers.

They just dont keep us in mind when they are designing these things. They assume everyone wears flats.

Actually I'm a Civil Engineer and sometimes specify gratings and pavings. I always make sure the ones I specify are stiletto safe. This tends to be easier to do when the paving is impermeable and grating choice can accommodate about a 6mm or greater heel. There are a lot of influences on the paving choice here though. In recent years there's been a move towards SUDS (Sustainable Urban Drainage Systems). What this means in practice is we are trying to avoid large volumes of rain running off paving straight into the drains and then into the rivers. This is what causes flooding, especially with a lot of new housing built on flood plains. Not clever I know, but that's the situation we have to deal with. Many of these SUDS systems have permeable paving with small holes to allow the water to run into a granular layer underneath where it is stored and takes time to come out into the drainage, thus reducing the risk of flash floods. Of course people try to design these in the safest way, but there is still a conflict with very small heels. Perhaps the ones 1/4" (6mm) or less. So, next time you come across permeable paving, spare a thought for the people whose houses get flooded every year because we are covering the county in concrete.

I am all for natural drainage and soak-aways, but it’s the extent, and choice of surfaces that gets me. The block-pavings appear to be used everywhere – not just those areas where it is suitable. I have seen bus stops where the pavement is being forced up from the roadway (both paved) due to the distortion, and upsetting of the pavings due to the constant weight of the buses. :lol: Shopping centres where the substrate is clay, so the pavings become water-logged, and of course need constant re-laying since the “natural drainage” is into impervious clay! ;):D etc. etc. My own drive is block-paved – on good drainage soil, so it naturally drains into the river (In the garden) – the right choice for block paving! :lol: I don’t think it’s a good choice for city centres – this weekend I was in Edinburgh centre, which has quite a good surface – most of the pavements are covered with paving slabs, with block pavings to the edge – reasonable drainage with good walking surface. I also noted that almost everyone stayed to the areas covered by the slabs – almost no one walked on the block/brick pavings! – So it’s not just us heel wearers that don’t like it. :lol: BB

BlondeBimbo:-) BlondeBimbo is the name that you chose to post under which is fine with me. But to me, you appear to be an intellegent and interesting person to post to. Sometimes you appear to down yourself, which shouldn't be for a person of your callibur. Think tall, walk tall, and be proud of your accomplishments. Aly has described RV's, campers, trailers, and motorhomes to a "T" and saved me the explanation that I was thinking of posting. One area that he didn't say much about is Mobile Home living. Sometimes these homes are referred to as "Trailers" which is wrong and gives everyone the idea of the type of people that they think live in them. Hence the term, "Trailer Trash". This is wrong as for most cases there is a higher class of people living in them, some being highly educated. This has been through the decades the only really low cost quality form of living in the U.S. The reason these types of homes are called Mobile Homes or Modular Housings is because they have multible axles under them to deliver them over the highways to the land plot that they are set up on and in most cases they are never again moved off the plots. Mickey and I live in a 12' x 68' mobile home with a 3' bay window to the floor on one side of the living room and a 8' x 14' push out on the other side of the living room. We have added a 12' x 24' room on the side plus 3 porches. Our basement, attic, and garage workshop is in a building on the back of our lot which measures 34' x 42'. All of this is both heated and has whole house A/C. We have lived here for 35 years now. Our building parks 5 cars, a trailer, and has a workshop, not counting the storage areas. BTW:...Our trash is also known as garbage and gets picked up weekly. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

In Bristol we have alot of cobbled streets, mainly in the centre. I find the way around getting stuck in the cracks is to tip toe it, so rather than walking heel-toe just try walking on toes. Irritating and uncomfortable, however a great work out for your legs! Mel

I learned quite a bit about motor homes and trailer homes. Thanks guys for the info. Dawn, I hear you on the cost of living, it's crazy that educated folks opt for the affordability of trailer homes. I had a relative that lived in one, you couldn't tell unless she told you it was a trailer home.. it wasn't even in a trailer part per se either. Peachy, nice way to condition your already superbly sexy legs. Shame it is so irritating and uncomfortable. RPM

• 3 months later...

Most of the brick roads, city roads in Pittsburgh I think are paved over now. My real problem, if I have a heel issue, is the grates on the sidewalk ! ! ! ! I walk a few blocks every day in the city from our parking lot to the office building I work at. I can think of a few times wearing spiked heels and almost twisting an ankle as my foot flattened out as the heel went down in the grate of catching a small slit and my heel becoming stuck and I actually walked out of my heel before snaging my nylong badly on the road. They actually put them right near the intersections so you are looking more outward than downward. What a pain and a surprise!

Does anyone ever Email anymore? Send me one! I like to chat!

• 4 months later...

I think it's done by male designers - who aren't members of this forum.

i.e. never engage brain when it comes to the practicality of their designs!

BB

Also, here in the States we should never ignore the possibility that they were designed by a Georgia Tech dropout or a Texas Aggie. :roll:

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

• 3 months later...

...There are several different types of RV:

* Campers are units that slide into the bed of a pickup truck and can range from a simple shell that does nothing more than cover the truck bed up to units about 12 feet long that weigh several thousand pounds and have all the comforts of home.

* Tent trailers are units that have a solid frame and short walls, and the roof pops up and the ends slide out to reveal the living area, which usually has canvas (or newer synthetic materials) for the walls - most have at least a queen-size bed that slides out on each end and some have slides that open the main floor space even more. They are typically towed with SUVs, trucks, or larger cars.

* Travel trailers are larger trailers that have solid sides and can range from about 12 feet in length to 40 feet, many have slideout sections to increase floor space inside and have many different floor plans available to fit just about any lifestyle. They are towed by pickup trucks, full-size vans, and large SUVs with a hitch mounted below the rear bumper of the tow vehicle.

* Fifth wheel trailers are larger trailers that can be found in lengths from about 16 feet to over 40 feet and can be quite luxurious inside. They can only be towed by large pickup trucks or medium duty trucks because the hitch mechanism is mounted in the bed of the truck - the hitch is the same as what the tractor-trailer semis use.

Class D motorhomes are not very prevalent in the industry right now - they are made by taking a pickup truck cab and frame, cutting out the back wall of the cab, and building a house on the back.

Class C motorhomes are quite common - they start out as a full-size van from the front seats forward, but the area behind the seats is cut off the frame. The industry calls these "cutaway van frames". Then the house is built onto the frame. Sizes range from about 18 feet to over 30 feet. Winnebago is a company that builds a few models in this class.

Class B motorhomes are also called van conversions - a full-size van has the roof extended up to give a bit of head room inside and then the interior is added - they are smaiil inside because they are basically just vans, but they're quite popular with those who don't spend a lot of time inside them. Winnebago also builds some of these.

Class A motorhomes are the large, stereotypical, RV - built from the ground up on a large truck frame they range in size from about 25 feet up to 40 feet and can be extremely luxurious inside. They will either have a large gas engine up front or a large diesel engine out back. Winnebago also has several models in this class.

Bus conversions are the pinnacle of the industry - companies like Prevost or Gillig start with one of their buses (think Greyhound bus here!) and build the interior to the customer's specifications - they are in the 35 foot to 45 foot range and can cost upwards of a few million dollars! ...Aly

The original concept of the camper or trailer was to"get away from it all"; but with the stuff he's decribing you get to take it all with you. :evil:

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

There are three models you missed: Class E Motorhome: A sleeping bag in the back of an SUV. I did this in a pinch because it was pouring down rain and I didn't feel like pitching a tent in the pouring rain, so we just folded the rear seats down and unrolled our sleeping bags. I had rain shields for the windows, so we could keep the two front windows cracked about an inch and a half. It was muggy, but we would have been absolutely soaked, and mugier, if we'd pitched that tent. No shower, though, unless you stepped outside. Class F Motorhome: A mattress in the back of a pickup with a full-sized bed and a cap (a friend of mine actually lived like this in college because it was all he could afford). And he did have a fridge, one of the 12V kind. He was usually parked close enough to a 115V power source, so his battery was always good, and he'd sleep on friends' couches any time the temps dipped below freezing. Class G Motorhome, with built-in swimming pool. It's not very big on the amenities, sleeps only three, sitting up, but with a good right plastic liner and 478.75 gallons of water, you can convert that puppy to a right nice wading pool! Class H Motorhome, often used by those who're fairly poor. Sleeps only two comfortably, and is based on unmodified "landcruisers" such as 1966 Buick LeSabres or old Cadillacs.

• 4 months later...

There are three models you missed:

Class E Motorhome: A sleeping bag in the back of an SUV. I did this in a pinch because it was pouring down rain and I didn't feel like pitching a tent in the pouring rain, so we just folded the rear seats down and unrolled our sleeping bags. I had rain shields for the windows, so we could keep the two front windows cracked about an inch and a half. It was muggy, but we would have been absolutely soaked, and mugier, if we'd pitched that tent. No shower, though, unless you stepped outside.

Class F Motorhome: A mattress in the back of a pickup with a full-sized bed and a cap (a friend of mine actually lived like this in college because it was all he could afford). And he did have a fridge, one of the 12V kind. He was usually parked close enough to a 115V power source, so his battery was always good, and he'd sleep on friends' couches any time the temps dipped below freezing.

Class G Motorhome, with built-in swimming pool. It's not very big on the amenities, sleeps only three, sitting up, but with a good right plastic liner and 478.75 gallons of water, you can convert that puppy to a right nice wading pool!

Class H Motorhome, often used by those who're fairly poor. Sleeps only two comfortably, and is based on unmodified "landcruisers" such as 1966 Buick LeSabres or old Cadillacs.

I must be missing something on the Class G. Unless yer in the desert, I can't imagine why anyone would want over 470 gallons of water in their vehicle.

But a variation on the Class H is the herse. Sleeps one with coffin or two without. But the real kicker is that at the mere poke of a button it'll trundle you right outside for yer wakeup call.:wink:

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels