New Wave Fashions Redux?

ShockQueen

One of the things I remember fondly about the 80's was the HUGE wave of fashion directions that were going off, much akin to fireworks on the Fourth of July. People seemed not afraid to show their expression openly and outwardly....those truly were the days. Is it my imagination, or have we become such a nation of self-conscious people that we're not only in the minority of being in heels, but of ANY fun fashion? I remember when clothing stores stocked items in more colours than one could readily count, and now they're becoming "streamlined", "mainstream", and more in line with "being like everyone else". I'm picking up the banner and re-doing one of the things I noticed back in the 80's....maxi-print T's. Remember those? Those were where you had a HUGE design, primarily wrapping around the back and just colourful as all get out. I remember Nike and Esprit especially doing those. I got some wood for forms, and lots of fabric paint......so I guess it's time to hit the canvas! OH....and don't forget.....BLACK is the ultimate fashion colour! It covers up all the stuff we really don't want others to worry about. :wink: SQ

SQ.....still busting societal molds with a smile...and a 50-ton sledge!

• 1 year later...

I liked the way Kim McAuliffe(Girlschool) and Lita Ford dressed then. Not "New Wave" per se, more hot biker chick cum deathrock/glam-metal cum former parochial school girl. The early 1980s male "metal" bands lifted that look to a large degree. Early Kerrang! magazine...the bible!!!! The all-female bands then were great sources of style tips!! I remember wearing rubber bracelets several years before Madonna, they were considered "metal" then. Blazers with the sleeves pushed up and the collars flipped, with a lurex scarf laid around the neck/lapel area. Multi-pierced ears with little silver musical notes and other small shapes. Also, rhinestone dangling earrings.clogs with heels and pointy wrap ankle boots with straps, glass trim, studs and heels!! Blue eyeshadow.

"To kiss, pretty Saki, thy shoes' pretty tips, is better than kissing another girl's lips." -Omar Khayyam

Hair dyed black and shiny obsidian nails to match. Tight spray-on jeans, black pointy boots with death head buckles and 3" kitten heels. Huge Tee shirts belted at the waist. Hair gel and no side-burns. Ah yes I remember it well! I also remember the school detention (1978) for not wearing uniform!

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

I've forgotten how many shades my hair was back then. Bleached almost white in a style similar to what Bryan Ferry wore on the first Roxy Music album, with strong Andy MacKay elements as well, especially in the length and height. I think Duran Duran stole my look!! I then put henna on it and it varied in style between the above and a sort of long Ziggy, a bit like Sean Purcell of Cuddly Toys before he went "New Romantic." Great styles back then.

"To kiss, pretty Saki, thy shoes' pretty tips, is better than kissing another girl's lips." -Omar Khayyam