How high were your first heels?

kerm2000

• 4 weeks later...

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first pair of heels I ever wore were not all that high, maybe about 2 or 2 1/2 inches at the most. They were my mom's and I wore them occasionally as a teenager. Later in life, I occasionally wore some of my wife's heels, the highest of which was a pair of 4" black patent pumps. Unfortunately, they didn't fit properly and were a bit tight. Recently, after years of fantasizing, I finally bought myself my very own pair of heels. They Isaac Mizrahi "Amy" pumps in pink from Target. They are really cute with a little bow on the front. When I got them, they were marked down to only $18.89 but now they are even less at only $6.74. They are available in sizes up to 12. I decided on a 3" heel height after reading Rachel Adams' shoe traing diary. I wanted to start with a height that is not super easy, but would not be discouraging for a novice like me either. After I gain some experience in these, I plan on gradually progressing to higher heel heights. bobbie

I had an interesting recollection while reviewing this column. It was of a next-door neighbor girl, back when I was around 7, who was showing me her go-go boots. She put them on, walked around a bit, then asked, probably quite innocently, if I'd like to try them. She was one year ahead of me, and they fit perfectly. I got the strangest feeling while wearing them, even if they only had about a 1.5" heel. Shortly afterward, a family moved in across the street. The guy was my age, and his older sister was about about 2 years older than I. I would often go over, and if he weren't home from school, yet, she'd simply let me in the house (she was a latchkey kid) and we'd talk. A couple of times she caught me looking at the shoes she was wearing, usually sandals, and she'd say, "you like these? Here - why don't you try them on?" Most of her shoes were flats, but she also had a few with moderate heels, such as a pair of lace-up oxfords with perhaps a 3-inch heel she'd wear to school. One day she let me wear them around her house for about an hour while we made popcorn, watched TV, and talked. Heaven!