First time out

bootsrkewl

What a day! I finally got out in my 3 1/2" Sketchers booties. I was afraid at first, but finally got out of my car. Went grocery shopping and I think I was noticed a few times, but I acted like it was a normal thing! Nothing said at all . Can't wait til tomorrow! Thanks for everyones posts that gave me courage! :) Amiee

thats right, just go about like its the most normal thing in the world to do!! :) I have found that if anyone DOES look, its really no big deal cause I have more imortant things to think about than what some stranger may think about my boots! I know its all in the mind with most males when it comes to wearing any heeled footwear, cause all they think is that "oh my god! what anyone would SEE me in these!!?" :o now, if you take THAT attitude & multiply it MANY times, well... you get the idea about this problem of men that might want to be wearing ANYTHING that is "intended" for the women, but allow the "fear factor" to rule their mind of their "peers"-its really quite rediculous if you look @ it like I do in the over-all picture!

men still look good with pants tucked into the right boots!

Bootsrkewl, I concur completely. My wife gave me a new pair of Tommy Hilfiger boots for Christmas (actually I spotted them new on Ebay and informed her!) and wore them home to the Florida Keys from our place in Jacksonville, and while I stopped for a coffee at one of the service plazas on the Florida Tpk, a lady in line at the Starbucks looked at me and then down at my feet and then back up at me again -- it was classic. But it seems as if I'm doing something that is altogether normal for me and I don't make an issue about myself, no one says "boo." That said, I work in an environment that wouldn't receive my footwear too well. Once, nearly a year ago, I went in to work in a pair of LEI chunky heeled slip-ons, and some of my coworker buddies chuckled; I just said they were my 70's shoes! But for the most part, even the ladies in my workplace don't wear heels. Mostly, everyone dresses quite casually and comfortably, so no one really bothers wearing dressy stuff. However, out on the streets of Key West, I could probably wear just about anything on my feet -- and not even be concerned about an odd glance. Anyway, you're right. Most people, I think, aren't concerned with what the next person has on. If they notice, they take it in stride and move on; they've got other stuff demanding their attention. I'd guess that anyone who takes it farther than that may simply be looking to make a problem of it and the heels might have had nothing to do with it. They were just the catalyst. My $.02. To conclude, I'm also with you with respect to feeling some gratitude for the presence of this site and the folks on it. I lurked for a long time, not even registering, but read with interest the stories of everyone (in particular guys like us) who's struggled and/or ultimately embraced our "hobby." Eventually, everyone's stories, anecdotes and accounts have encouraged me to wear my high heels a lot more freely than I used to. Of course, it helps immensely to have a wife who's fine with it :>) Again, everyone, thanks, I'm really glad to have found you all. Warm regards, RayC

that sounds like a great idea, 6in_pumps! :o but I'd be carful doing that on key west if there was a hurricane coming! :oops: (its kind of hard to stand in heels that are that 4 inches high when a big wind starts to blow) LOL :) I for one would love to go down to the keys (or to florida in general)

men still look good with pants tucked into the right boots!

6 in heels - Thanks for the welcome. I don't live in KW, actually, a few miles further up. I just have the daily commute into town every day. It's true, I'd say, that nearly anything goes down here, including wearing heels. One of my first times out was just about a year ago, when my fiancee (now wife) and I went out to have some dinner in KW and I wore the J-Lo boots she'd just given me for Christmas '03. We were crossing the parking lot to the Chili's and she noticed that I was walking with a definite, as she called it, swish, and told me to cut it out before I got jumped. It was pretty funny. When we got home later that evening we went for a short walk around our neighborhood and she tried to get me to walk "like a guy oughta walk." As I'd said in an earlier post about how I got into high heels, I rather like how they make my hips and behind sway.

For Tuckedintoboots, you should visit the Keys sometime; everyone should. Living here isn't for everyone, though. For all of their plusses, there are some killer minuses, too. Still, everyone should visit once.

Before I close, wanted to let folks know that I don't have connectivity at home in the Keys, and usually only get on the forums here when I spend weekends with the wife in Jacksonville, like I am now. Sometimes I'll get on from a public computer like at the library, but that's pretty infrequently.

Alright folks, thanks; until next time,

Warm regards,

RayC

Definately great advice. One thing about being self-conscious about it is that it tends to draw as much attention as the heels! Just before Christmas, I was doing a little last-minute Christmas shopping when a lady gave me "the look," so I asked her, "what is it?" For the life of me, I'd completely forgotten I was wearing heels, in this case a pair of black wingtips with a 3-1/2 block heel. I'd been squatting, looking at some toys, and she'd given me "the look" after I stood up. In response to my "what is it?" she looked down then back up. I didn't get it - honest! So, I said, "I'm sorry, but what seems to be the problem?" "You're wearing a pair of women's shoes," she finally replied, her toddler in her arms. I didn't know what to say, but her perplexed and surprised look, like she didn't know what to make of me just tickled me, and I couldn't help but laugh a little. When I stopped, she was still looking at me, as if awaiting a response, explanation - something. So I said, "Ok... Thank you for noticing," and continued looking. About two minutes later, she came up to me and said, "I'm sorry, but I just can't get it out of my head, and I was wondering if you could tell me why you're wearing a pair of heels?" Because she was so polite about it, and surprised, not accusing in any way, I simply said, "I began wearing elevated heels because I have a bad ankle, and it simply feels better. But now I wear them as much because I like them as I do for my ankle." Then she probed a little more, asking, "You like them? You like wearing heels?" "Don't you?" I asked, pointing to her mid-calf boots, which sported a three-inch stiletto heel. "Well, sure," she responded. "But I'm a woman," and left the part about my being a man unsaid. "Ok...," I began, then added conversationally, like I was discussing the issue at a cocktail party, "Did you know that men wore heels for about thirty years before women did?" She shook her head and looked doubtful, so I continued on about the French court, men's two-hundred year history wearing heels, the brief resurgence in the 70's (she was born sometime around 1980), and the steady increase over the last few years as more and more men are enjoying the pleasures of breaking the fashion straightjacket. When I was done, she said, "Wow - I never knew that," then asked, "but don't you encounter any problems?" "Like what?" I asked. "Like, well, people asking you questions, or making rude comments," she finished. "Actually," I confided, "you're one of about ten people who've made any comment in public - and I've been wearing heels in public for a couple of years, now." "Wow, I didn't know that," she replied again. "There's perhaps tens of thousands of men around the world who wear heels," I commented, "and half a dozen here in Vegas that I've seen walking around the strip." "Wow, I didn't know that..." Innocence is wonderful - provided it leads to enlightenment, instead of narrow-mindedness.

Genebujold:-) The way that you handled that ladies questions about your heels shows how inquisitive she was and how prepared you were to satisfy and educate her on the subject. She should be much better prepared to accept the next guy she spots wearing heels. Good show! Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

Genebujold:-)

The way that you handled that ladies questions about your heels shows how inquisitive she was and how prepared you were to satisfy and educate her on the subject. She should be much better prepared to accept the next guy she spots wearing heels. Good show!

Cheers---

Dawn HH

I thorough enjoyed reading about it too. She did seem interested, didn't she? Also a bit confused, by Gene's description. Maybe she'll tell some of her friends and at least Gene's life will be easier in 2005.

Wow - is my writing that transparent? I'll take that as a compliment! :) You're quite perceptive - it was very difficult to tell whether she was inquisitive because she felt, but was hiding animosity, or whether she was geninuinely interested in learning more about something that was definately out of her realm of experience. You know, like when a four-year-old keeps asking his dad why he's different down there than mom. To be honest, I felt about as uncomfortable answering her questions as I did my son's, and not because of any animosity, but because I'm just not used to such an openly inquisitive conversation about something that I do that's indeed different than what most men do! Not quite "scary as hell, but more satisfying," but it was headed in that general direction.