Changing heel type

heelsrule

Hi all, I bought my wife a nice pair of suede tan ankle boots, with breather panel and nice cushioning around back of the ankle along with nice adnd easy to lace up laces and D rings. The boots have a pointy heel with a soft and thick rubber sole, more like a hiking boot with a 4" pointy heel. I thourght they would be really comfortable for 4" heels. But being a size US women 14 and my wife a 8.5, I cannot try for myself. Problem is my wife cannot wear 4" and pointy heels (measured up back of heel). Her feet are just not built right. But she doesn't mind wearing her other boots with 3-3.5" chunky heels as long as she doesn't have to walk or stand too much. The boots look too nice on her to let collect dust in cupboard or throw away and she does like them, but can only wear for a very short periods of time and we live in tropics and she has an industrial job, so not a matter of working her way up to it. I was think of getting the heel replaced with an hourglass 3.25-3.5" heel The heels appear to be just glued on. Anyone know where I could send the boots to get modified. i live in Australia but would consider overseas. Regards Shane

I'd be surprised if it was just glued. 99% have some mechanical fixing, either nails or screws. It's feasible in principle, but I wouln't go down in height much more than 1/4" Around 3 5/8" to 3 3/4" would be best because the shank and uppers need to accommodate the new heel height. Many competant shoe repair people might take on this job. You'll need to ask. I don't think it's worth sending away overseas because the costs of two way shipping can outweigh the value of the work and the boots put together.

I'd be surprised if it was just glued. 99% have some mechanical fixing, either nails or screws. It's feasible in principle, but I wouln't go down in height much more than 1/4" Around 3 5/8" to 3 3/4" would be best because the shank and uppers need to accommodate the new heel height.

Many competant shoe repair people might take on this job. You'll need to ask. I don't think it's worth sending away overseas because the costs of two way shipping can outweigh the value of the work and the boots put together.

I have changed heel styles for people Here is a picture of a pair of boots that I did recently. The biggest problem about changing heels is how it is attached originally. I don't like the ones that are just attached with a big staple, because that is a cheap way of doing the heel, and most of the time the entire heel and shank area is suspect and doesn't hold up to being taken apart, so if you can pull up the insole and it is just nailed on, then in my book you are ahead.

http://hartlandshoes.us/recover2.jpg

my email is hartlandshoes at yahoo.com

Gene

• 2 weeks later...

The heels in the picture are a manufactured style, I happened to have the pair she wanted in stock. They come in white blocks and I covered them in black Kid skin. The biggest problem that started about 4 years ago, is, I used to be able to get them drop-shipped directly from the supplier. They had a minimum order charge, and I was willing to pay that as a part of business. Now they have upped the minimum order and for some of the small neighborhood style shops, it has become kind of difficult. If I was in a Mall where about 5,000 people a day walk by, I could have a display, and the job would sell itself. In my small shop, I just have pictures, and the web to show them what I can do. Any way, I keep trying, the new tall stilletto heels aren't hard to get, but to get the older style blocks, is like a treasure hunt. Shoe repair business is fun when everything works right, and not as fun when it doesn't Gene