Arches? How do they affect High Heels?

JinxieKat

Ok, I've been curious about this for a while.. so here I ask :-? I have high arches, it has always made finding comfortable sneakers difficult. Most are much to low to be even remotely comfortable. I often wish that more shoes had the super arch that you can find on High Heels Forever website. They just look so comforable! Does having regular or low arches or even flat feet affect wearing high heels? I've also read a few things here that indicate that some folks like to see the arch of the foot above the side of the shoe.. So what do you all think? Jinxie

I have flat feet...i think and i can wear heels ok...the only problem i have is that i have a high instep meaning finding boots to fit me is a B***ARD of a job. :drinking:

I've heard that term before.. what is a high instep? I always have a time finding boots I can get on my feet but I never really thought about it.

Jinxie

I prefer 3 to 4 inch heels which suit my arch but do not put too much pressure on the toes. For a long day though with a lot of walking the better feeling in the foot overall can be overiden by sore soles so there is a balance to be struck. Trainers are comfortable if they have a 1 to 2 inch heel and a curved arch support moulding inside. (Instep is the foot bit above the arch, which can either be caused bu a high arch or just a big deep foot I suppose!)

My feet aren't truly flat, but they're more flat than arched. Regardless of whether I'm wearing flats, mid-heels, or high heels, the only shoes that are comfortable are those with a moderate, cushioned arch. Naturally, this exclused most open sandals and fetish shoes, both of which are notoriously flat!

I have inserts with a high arch in my Nike's. When I started wearing my heels with the wife only about 8+ years ago, I found them very comfortable, partly due to the high arch curve. Recently I have gotten a sore right foot (ball of the foot) after dancing for several hours and, surprisingly, the high heels help to relieve the pain and make it go away.

From what I have read the arch of the foot is that area between the ball of the foot and the heel, under the foot. If you wet your foot and do a wet footprint on some paper, the pattern will show a broad area between the ball and heel if you are flat footed and no or nearly no wet area between them if you have high arches. The instep is the part of the foot above the arch. The area on top of the foot if it rises quickly from behind the toes to your ankle is a high instep. Or another way to put it is if you foot gets thick (from top to bottom) very quickly from behind your toes you have a high instep. And according to the podiatrists if you suffer foot ache when wearing high heels you probably have high arches. The ache comes from having no support for your foot except in the toes and heel. A properly supported foot should be supported from toes to heel, including the arch so that the wearers body weight is spread over as much area as possible. Jeff

I've also read a few things here that indicate that some folks like to see the arch of the foot above the side of the shoe..

Jinxie

Hi Jinxiecat,

I'm deffinitely one of those people. I think it looks really sexy when the arch of the foot can be seen in a pair of low cut court shoes.

If you have high arches, then although you may have problems from time to time in finding shoes, you can console yourself with how sexy they look. :-?

Love, Paul.

Ahh that explains the high instep thing. I bet I have high arches from all the years of ballet and dance training. When I lie down or even just have my feet dangleing they automaticly point. It wasn't until I got married that I realised that this isn't normal. I thought my husband was strange cause he couldn't point his toes like I can. Oopss. My bad! It's funny, now that I've read alot on here I find that I am more aware of how people react to my shoes if I'm wearing high heels. I'll even find myself indulging in some shoe play if someone is really taking a good look. I'm thinking of splurging come January and getting a pair from I think it is classic pumps? They have the low vamp and sides so you can 'see it all'... I think it is going to be interesting! It is nice to know that I"m making someone's day out there *lol* Jinxie

I have high arches to and I have inserts as well when I am wearing flats. With out them I am actually spraining my foot, funky huh? Any way for me wearing high heels will relieve the discomfort and it also seem to stretch the foot so that if I don't wear the inserts I don't have the discomfort. But the less I wear high heels the more often I have to use the inserts. I do have a high instep as well but this can be fixed by stretching my boots out with a combination of using a boot stretcher and a high heel width shoe stretcher. I also figured out that if you get the good high heels where the foot fallows the contour of the shoe, it seems that if you have high arches the foot will be more likely to be supported . A good profile example is the Supper Arch shoes, but it ’s not as extreme as them. The higher the heel the more important the fit has to be. So for me and any thing 4" and up that I plan to wear out in public I look for that contour, if I don’t see it and it is straight all the way back, it’s a no go. Any thing less than 4” it’s not an issue ,I don’t have any discomfort at all, other than tired feet form walking around all day. I remember in the past that this part was covered so those who can explain it better, go right a head.

Hello, :wave: my name is Hoverfly. I’m a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!  👠1998 to 2022!

Jinxie, I guarantee that if I were to see you playing with your shoes, you'd have my attention in a nanosecond!:-? I love high-arched feet, and the combination of a high arch winking out of the side of a black stiletto pump is devastating. And I haven't said anything about dangling shoes or slipping feet!

Black 5-inch stilettos - the only way to go!

I have inserts with a high arch in my Nike's. When I started wearing my heels with the wife only about 8+ years ago, I found them very comfortable, partly due to the high arch curve. Recently I have gotten a sore right foot (ball of the foot) after dancing for several hours and, surprisingly, the high heels help to relieve the pain and make it go away.

While inserts may indeed help, it's important to realize there's a serious muscle along the inside of one's arch, so the insert must not apply too much support, and it has to be flexible. If not, pain and potential atrophy are possible. In serious cases, you could actually damage the muscle, particular when wearing high, hard supports while wearing constrictive heels, like tight boots.

There are alot of muscles in the foot pretty strong too. You should see some of the things I can pick up with my toes *lol* That makes alot of sence about the arch being a muscle though, after all for more years than I care to think of humans were bare foot... the arch had to deal with that some how. I don't have any problems with my arch getting tired in heels, more the ball of my foot at this point. Toe BURN! Ouchh! :-? Jinxie