Shoe Repair after using Shoe Goo!

Help!

Posted Image

Posted Image

The bottoms of my shoes were pealing off my new shoes (pictured above). The heel part is a soft rubbery material and the sole is a hard rubber(?). Anyway I tried to reglue it using Shoe Goo and it melted the rubbery material. These are the shoes I wear everyday to work so I couldn't possibly wear them here now. Fortunately I got 2 pair when I bought them, but do you know if they would be repairable if I took them into a shoe place? I paid enough for them, but mainly they were selling out of them so I am more concerned about their availablity.

Thanks,

Scotty

• 3 weeks later...

I had my wife take these in this weekend to a shoe repair shop. They said they could fix it for $6. We are suppose to get them back this week. I am anxious to see how good they look. I figure if not perfect, I could wear them on the weekends and save the good pair for work. I will let you all know how they turn out. Scotty

A good quality solvent based impact adhesive will do the trick. But, some solvents can dissolve soft rubber. There are a variety available on the market with different solvents, white spirit, alcohol, synthetic organic chemicals etc. Select one and try on a small area. If unsuccessful try another till you find one that works.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry Scotty, I was gone for a while, I could have save you some anguish The kind of rubber you have probably is Polyurethane. (PU) as it is known by the Techs. ( Some are Thermal Plastic, some are Vinyl) If it were a small area, the shoe goo may have worked, but most people on the street don't know that the principle knowledge to know about shoe repairs is knowing the materials PU needs a PU GLUE It almosts melts into the material, so timing is importent. Also both sides of the material must be CLEAN no dirt, or oil... the PU glue is somewhat hard to use, if you get it on other parts of the shoe, it may cause damage to the surface it sticks to. After we clean the shoe and sole, we apply the glue, and wait for it to be non sticky to the touch. Then we re-heat the glued area not too hot, or you may melt the shoe, and then press the two parts together, not too tightly, but hand pressure firm. let it dry or put a book or something heavy enough or some tape, or clamp...make sure it is not too tight and make sure that it doesn't slide to one side. If that happens quickly re-align the materials...If the glue peeled off, you may have to reapply the glue and start over. Now you know why some of the ole shoemakers don't want to do them. But some expensive shoes have Vinyl soles and Vinyl parts...

• 1 month later...