High Heels and leg problems

JinxieKat

I know that at least most of you are not Doctors, but some of you have had experiance with the problems you can have from wearing high heels, or have known someone who has. I also have already gone to my person al Doctor already. And with that disclaimer, my question :roll: I have, over the last three days, experianced a sudden and progessively getting worse, pain in my calves. It started as a stiffness and now it is to the point when I sit/lie down for any period of time my calves get so painfully stiff that I cannot unbend my knees for a good 20 mins at least. When I first get out of bed it takes much longer to work it out, and even after being worked out I still hurt, but an achy hurt, not a sharp hurt. I was telling my mother about this and she automaticly blamed the high heels. I have only been wearing the higher, 4 inches to 5 inches, heels for about six months. I vary my daily height from flats to higher regularly, manytimes even within the same day. Also wearing high heels does not provide me with relief, well my balance is so off right now that I should say standing on my toes alone does not provide me with relief. I have to walk with my knees bent and even then it is achey. My feet do not have any problems, nor do my ankles. In the past 12 days I've only worn heels 3 of those days, and only on one day was it for the entire day, and even on that day I went from a 2 inch sandal to a 4 inch mule then to bare feet later that day without any problems. Ok, the gist of this thread is does anyone think it could be the heels? My mother is very good at putting me on the defensive and while I do not see the heels as a problem I want to hear from folks who have some experiance. I didn't think of it myself and have not mentioned anything to my Doctor. My Doctor has already done blood tests and such and I am waiting for the results. Thanks! JinxieKat

It sound like you may have over worked your calf muscles and/or tendons. Best to talk to your doctor again and take it easy for a while with the heels. Or it could be since you been wearing higher heels for a while now it could be that your muscles and tendons halved shortened up from adjusting to the higher heel. But I never heared form any one in that kind of pain just geting out of bed.

Hello, :wave: my name is Hoverfly. I’m a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!  👠1998 to 2022!

I probably can't offer you any help on your problem---only a doctor can. And I can only tell you what happens to me. I have been wearig heels daily for many, many years without any problems with my calves. I can go from 4" down to flats and no problem. Once in a great while when dropping from 4" to flats I might get a slight pulling in my calf muscles, no pain, but a slight pulling which lasts only a few seconds and it is gone. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

Am not a doctor but this is my experience. I can't speak for the stiffness you experience but the pain in the lower leg could be related to the back. I have a herniated disc that results in pain to my calf and ankle due to pinched nerve. When I went to the doctor I was figuring on a diagnosis for a problem in my leg, not my back. That it did not lessen when at rest, was the deciding clue my dotor looked to the back for a problem. The degree of my problem is directly proportional to the amount of heavy lifting I do, not what I wear. Good luck on figuring it out. Hope it is not a back problem. One never gets heals from a herniated disc, they only get worse if the abuse continues.

classic style high heel boots

JinxieKat:-) It is good that you took the advise to see a doctor on your problem. Now you know that it isn't due to wearing high heels, which is great for you and I'm glad of that. With your malady having been diagnosed now should put you onto the road to recovery. Keep us posted as how things are going for you. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

Hi JK Must preface my remarks by saying that I am not a doctor. It looks like you did the right thing by seeing your doctor and he's on the right track to get your problem taken care of. Good for him, good for you. :roll: As I was reading about your problem with your legs, what came to mind was a mineral imbalance, such as with calcium, phosphorous, or possibly magnesium. Something like this could possibly contribute to the enzyme imbalance? You might want to ask him about it. Glad to see that the high heels were not the cause of the problem! Regards, raincat

Women who wear heels are to be admired and appreciated for the feminine visage they create.

Hi, JinxieKat.

True, there are several painful maladies involving women who wear high heels.

Yours sounds like this: http://www.mayoclinic.com/invoke.cfm?objectid=A3F67624-17B4-4074-95B772B187DB1C1C

Good luck, and don't be afraid to wear flats for a while (6 mos, if need be) until your feet heel to the point where you're ready to begin the long, slow (1-year), steady climb back to high-heeled nirvana. Take it easy - one day at a time.

I wish it was something that could just be cured with some time out of high heels or a vitimin. Turns out that for some unknown reason my muscle enzymes have gone through the roof. (as already mentioned) The bad part is that even when I felt better the enzymes went higher. Now I'm waiting on the results of a muscle biopsy to find out if I have some funky disease or if it was just a virus. Joy :roll: Oh well, such is life. I'm hoping for a virus, I should find out this week! JinxieKat

Gene, I know you mean well enough, but before advising JK, I really do think that you should brush up on your basic anatomy. She is suffering from pain in her calves, and you are diagnosing/referring her to a web-page dealing with pain under the balls of the feet! Cheerfully yours, Heelfan

Onwards and upwards!

Gene, I know you mean well enough, but before advising JK, I really do think that you should brush up on your basic anatomy.

She is suffering from pain in her calves, and you are diagnosing/referring her to a web-page dealing with pain under the balls of the feet!

Cheerfully yours, Heelfan

You're right, my bad - I was a poor reader that night.

JK, sounds like the docs have you pointing in the right direction.

I will say this, however, if your diet isn't the best, that would be the first place to start. It's often not what's missing in your diet that causes us problems, but what's present. Like you said, it could just be a virus or some condition. It could also be the ingredients found in processed food, which is about as foreign to our body as water is to the gas you put in your car. A little bit, and it'll still run, poorly, and with significant degredation over time.

There's never anything wrong with switching to a diet of fresh fruits and vegetables, staying away from processed foods, realizing eggs aren't bad for you but milk is (Vit A and D enriched rice milk is a wonderful substitute and far better for you.).

Anyway, if you're interested in more of the many, many maladies that our modern "foods" cause, let me know via PM and I'll reply with a good list of outstanding info.

One more thing - back in the mid-90's I thought I had arthritis. Medically diagnosed, and everything. I began learning about diets, and my symptoms went away. I lost significant amounts of weight, and am now, ten years later, a lean, mean, fighting machine! All diet, nothing more.