Brando's Death

I don't usually get mad while reading the news. A bit sad at times, but rarely mad.

Today, I got mad.

I have the utmost respect for Marlon Brando as an actor, and have thoroughly enjoyed many of his movies.

Then, I read the following:

"The will lists 10 surviving children, ages 46 to 10, one of whom, Petra Brando-Corval, 32, the daughter of his former assistant, Caroline Barrett, was adopted. The will says he does not provide for her or for Tuki Brando, the son of his deceased daughter, Cheyenne."

He has every right to do whatever he wants with his money.

But people are watching, and whatever respect I had for him as a human being took a nose-dive when I read that he did not take care of his own, depspite the fact that he updated his will twice, recently, both in 2002 and again, just 13 days before his death.

Generally speaking, children of poor parents have a far higher incidence of problems than children of good parents. Somewhere I read that Brando and Cheyenne were estranged, and his son, Christian, was sentanced to 10 years for murdering Cheyenne's boyfriend. Cheyenne was so distraught she committed suicide.

Sound like a happy family to you?

Sounds to me like he royally goofed them up!!!

And he just goofed up another, Tuki (Cheyenne's son) by failing to mention him in his will. How do you think it will make him feel to know his grandfather's hatred extended through his daughter all the way to him.

You can disguise what he did with more polite terms, but when you treat your children like Brando treated his, it's hatred, pure and simple.

And look what that does to kids.

About the only good thing he did was appoint his his former wife, Tarita Teriipala, with whom he co-starred in "Mutiny on the Bounty," as Tuki's guardian.

That is, if she has any money...

Only time will tell how Tuki fares through this in the future. If he's in a loving home, he'll probably do fine, as a good, loving home can undo a lot of damage.

Folks - parenting is hard work when it's done right. But the rewards of doing it right are well worth it.

Please be good parents. And if you're past that stage, be good grandparents. No grandkids? Adopt a yonger couple with kids and do kind things for them and their kids - you'd be amazed at how massive the dividends of even a little shared loved can bring.

Especially for the children.

Gee, I read where Marlon Brando died. But I didn't know any of the rest of the stuff you wrote about, gene. Marlon Brando was a good actor. I enjoy some of his movies. I respect him for his work. However, since I recognize him as an good actor, that's all I want to know about him. I don't need to know, nor am I interested in knowing, anything else about him. Based on what you wrote, I guess Brando wasn't a very good family man. Everyone has family problems of one sort or another. I guess he wasn't any different. However, Brando's family problems are personal and should be dealt with privately, not publically. The're not my business nor any of my concern. I'm sorry for Tuki's plight. However, I'm sure the situation will be resolved in one fashion or another. Either by close relatives or by the Child Welfare agency. Now, for people with other viewpoints or that feels so strongly that this kid was "dissed" and might really be interested in helping him, I'm sure they can find an Internet website listing an address where they can send their contributions.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

The contribution is a great idea, Bubba - I'll look into it, if his financial situation warrants it (don't know, yet). As for the reason behind my post... It was to encourage people to take time out for their kids. I used Brando's situation as a lead-in, and used Brando in particular because he was a public figure, and when you become a public figure, there are some benefits and trade-offs. One benefit is usually the reason why you're a public figure - money (or the result of your profession, like acting). The trade-off, like it or not, is that public figures get talked about. If they don't like that, they're free to leave the spotlight any time. To soften the blow to Brandon, however, I, too, am sorry for his situation. A lot of times it's not just one individual's fault, and he was only one of two parents to each of his children. Furthermore, some people try the best they can with what they know - but they don't know what they don't know, and the only example some people have about raising kids is the way they were raised. That may or may not have been the case with Brando. Either way, it doesn't matter, as my point was really about how providing a loving home for your children pays the largest dividends, not about Brando, per se'. Since I've made my point, I'll not refer to Brando any further.

• 3 weeks later...

I whole-heartedly agree with what Bubba136 posted. There are manuals for a lot of things in our lives, but there isn't one on how to be a good parent or on raising children properly. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!