Uneven Heel Wear

allheel

Today notice extra height on the heels I was wearing, I measured when I got home and found 3 1/2 instead of my usual 2 1/2 to 3 inch range - nothing for many of you but I'm a comfort person, and the usual height takes the pain out of my flat feet. However in measure to compare, I noticed how the heel tips on my shoes wear unevenly. Is that the way I walk or does it happen to every one. I noticed that only a few millimetres actually was resting on the floor as I measured, not sure what happens when my weight is resting on it. These were metal tips about 1/3 inch or 7 mm across. One plastic type the plastic had worn away from the central metal tip which was exposed and resting on the wooden floor. May be why they seem to mark. Any comments on walking that doesn't wear unevenly or when to change the tips or other comments. I find the small tips much easier for walking than wide heels and observing others the look is more attractive as many of us agree.

I noticed that too when i first got my boots was that even after a few minutes i had started to wear down the back edge of the chunky heel...i hasnt worn down much since the first day i got them...but ive been looking at girls at school and it seems they wear theirs down the same way too...so i guess its normal

Checking my new patent stilettos, the wear is only a tiny bit off. After three weeks, the slightest bit of extra wear on the outside of each heel tip is visible. I do think how one walks determines the wear pattern. For me, I know I rock my feet outward at times when I am standing, as a pressure change activity. So it may not be walking alone, but other foot movements when at rest. I am visualizing how I walk and I am sure that most of the wear comes from what we call shoe play, when I am standing. I will keep watching my heel tips and see if this changes. It has been 3 weeks, after all, and not nearly enough time to tell what pattern will develop.

Thanks for the messages. My steel tips stay flat for quite a while before becoming uneven and even when they become uneven it doesn't usually affect the feel or walk, but when they wear quite a bit I'm more careful of wearing them on wooden floors. By the way, when a friend or guest comes in with very fine heels, at most they only make a few marks that will add a bit of character to the floor (unless its a stand up party) but wearing your own heels on your own wooden floor daily can be a problem.

Mine tend to wear outside back edge, so that's where I put in steel wear screws. Even my block heels have the sharp metal crack of a stiletto. You can help very uneven wear by better walking technique. Try to point toes straighter and don't land so heavily on the heel, although it is not correct to land toe part first. That leads to a strange altered walk.

My heels wear unevenly too especially on the right shoe wear I lay more weigth pressure on it. This makes me change the heel tip every 3 months or so.However I won't get really uncomfortable as this happen on daily basis and won't really feel it.

I put all of my shoes through a great deal. They all wear a bit different. Some are worn on the back edge of the heel, some on the outer edge. It's just what I happen to do in the shoes and the design of the heel, really. And the fact I tap my heels on the metal legs of my chair at work. I am not sure why.

It is possible with metal tips to use a pair of pliers to turn the tip around 180 degrees say to even up the wear. Don't exert a lot of force - could break something - but usually it will turn fairly easily

• 9 years later...

This is interesting. The higher my heels the more even they wear. Way back in the days when I wore low heels all the time I had a tendency to wear down the inside so when I hunted the thrift stores for shoes I would look for heels with outside wear. That also was a good feeling, better than new level heels.