shoe shopping and shoe sizing

exitman1

Hi... After my many troubles about trying to be a casual heel wearer and many thanks to you guys for your help. I how wear my high heels everywhere and no-one cares. Even though im a young guy(21) which means im in the definate minority of poeple who wear high heels are there any other young people here who find this. I do all normal things shopping etc, today i was studying for my uni exams in the library with heels showing and no-one looked twice. But anyway. I was also went to meet my girlfriend(I use this term - she is a friend of mine and we grew up together knowing each other) and She told me she wanted to buy me some shoes for a formal event she wanted me to go with her to and when she told the organisers I was going they asked if I would get up on stage and do a few of my original songs. So she wanted me to get these two-part stiletto heels(I will post a picture later tonight - and you can tell me what u think). So the salesgirls chatted and fussed over me for a while and I eventually found out that my mans size 6 should in theory convert to a size 4 1/2. I tried the four on and they were really tight and hurt me, so I went to a five. They fitted but they seem to be huge. IS THIS NORMAL, am I just not used to wearing this type of shoe. They have a pointed toe box so is this where the extra huge feel seems to be comming from or are womens shoes supposed to fit as if youve been poured into them. I'll explain more when I get the photos up and this may seem vague at the moment. Stay tuned. ALSO I also exchanged the heeled boots I had for the same size (size 5) and they fitted better, they fit so that the largest toe has about 1cm of room. But after walking in them for four hours my sole was slightly sore - I take it this is normal. Sorry for the length... I will post up some pictures later tonight.

Heres the pictures

what do you think and does anybody wear this type of shoe while out and about.

Posted Image

this next picture shoes the sizing problem. Size four was way too tight. Is there anyway I could make them fit better. You can see the start of my toes sticking out. There is quite a bit of room in the toebox.

Posted Image

by the way I will be wearing them with black socks to make them look a bit less femine and more like stiletto boots. I will also be wearing womens dress trousers which are about as long as my jeans, which are long bootcut.

The shoes, in my opinion -- although a little fussy -- should be ok. I like them even though I don't wear that style out in public, myself. People will take notice because of the swatch of color on the side of the toe and because there's no mistaking them for anything other than "women's shoes." I, for one, am interested in knowing how the event turns out both in terms of the way you are dressed and your performance. And, should you have the opportunity, post a picture of yourself from the waste down so we can see the "overall" look you created. Wishing you well, Bubba!

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

yes there is no mistaking they are womens, I probably would never wear them out but do any of you wear this type of heel on a boot. The event itself allows for the alternative dressing becuase it is a art and design end of year party and it is sponsored by charities and people wear alternative clothes to it. Im using it as an excuse to wear this type of shoe plus my girlfriend says you would not really notice them under the long trousers.

As a daily heel wearer at home, a usual heel wearer after hours, and an occasional feminine shoe heel wearer after hours, I have to say... Blech! Guys in heels look fine - provided the heels match their overall dress. If women wouldn't wear a heel with jeans - neither should guys! Furthermore, any obviously feminine heel such as the one you're showing necessitates shaving. Enough said about the hair... Now - if your overall dress is masculine, the footwear (heeled or not) should be, too. If the overall dress is gender neutral, make the footwear matche. If the dress is, well, a dress, then wear a woman's shoe.

ha ha... no, I wore them barefoot to show the sizing. As i said i will be wearing them with thick black socks, long womens formal trousers and a shirt. We are going to black out the design before the night and all that you can see with the trousers are the pointed toebox and the heel only really shows when I walk. Its for a charity fundraising art college end of year party and my girlfriend wants me to wear them a small price to pay for all the support she has given me. As for casual heels I stick pretty much to boots with thick heels but I was also asking you guys here do any of you wear this style of heeled boots i.e. the stiletto type heel with a squarer toe box as im thinking of getting some.

Hi Exitman. Nice shoes. As far as I can see the sizing appears to be about right. It looks as though the ball of your foot is in the right place, which would lead me to think that the excess room is because the toe-box appears to be quite long. I have a pair of boots with similar toes, and although they fit everywhere else they do feel too long in the toes. Firefox or Dr Shoe would probably be better qualified to comment than me though. Let us know how it went! Chris

ha ha...

no, I wore them barefoot to show the sizing. As i said i will be wearing them with thick black socks, long womens formal trousers and a shirt. We are going to black out the design before the night and all that you can see with the trousers are the pointed toebox and the heel only really shows when I walk.

Its for a charity fundraising art college end of year party and my girlfriend wants me to wear them a small price to pay for all the support she has given me. As for casual heels I stick pretty much to boots with thick heels but I was also asking you guys here do any of you wear this style of heeled boots i.e. the stiletto type heel with a squarer toe box as im thinking of getting some.

Sounds fine.

Yes - I prefer a narrow heel to a chunk heel, but not for looks. For some reason, walking on a chunk heel just puts too much side-to-side torque on my ankle, and that's the last thing I need. With a narrow heel (like the one on my favorite pair of boots to the left), I can keep it at the angle I'd like, instead of the one dictated by the designer. But I wear my pants much lower (I'm modest, not a fashion trend-setter).

The only exception is a pair of rubber-heeled boots I bought from Payless (shown below). The rubber gives (and is very quiet!) so they're quite comfortable. And despite their 3-1/2" heels, they're so plain and gender-neutral I never have to worry about anyone wondering if I'm wearing a woman's shoe. I just wish they were made out of leather...

Personally, I hate the pointed toe shoes that are the rage today. I prefer a rounded toe, although a semi-round/semi-square toe is fine, too (my Payless rubber-heeled boots).

As for color and other styling, I generally stick to the simpler, more elegant designs, as anything too flowery (in my book, anyway), says "I'm a man trying to dress like a woman" instead of "I'm a man who likes to wear heels."

Posted Image

To answer your queston, I don't wear that style in public. I usually wear loafer style/loafer style sport shoes with 2½ to 4" heels. Like these:

Posted Image

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Looks fine to me--but I would have liked boots better. But thats just me. Did you have any other comments? I'm starting to think that if your wearing pants some people kind of expect you to wear heels. I've noticed lots of women looking down at my feet even when wearing trainers.

I didnt get around to posting the story...here it is We started off the night at my girlfriends house we were going to meet some of her friends at the college in town and then goto the party which was about ten minutes walk from where the taxi left us. We stood around waiting on her friends for about ten minutes and no-one walking past really noticed.. probably because of the long trousers or the people were just too busy. Anyway the people came and three of them were girls and two guys. no-one noticed but everyone was wearing alternative clothes then my girlfriend took it upon herself to mention it just to see what the reaction was. The girls thought it was really cool asking if i wore heels reguarly because I walked for five minutes without breaking my foot and blended in with the sound of the girls heels. They loved it and commented that my girlfriend is a lucky girl because they wished they could get their boyfriends to be more fashionable. I did point out that I would not wear this type of shoe in public normally but would wear block heeled boots and I am looking into thinner heeled boots (just like the faith ones on the heels4men site). The guys thought it was cool but then again they are open minded art students and they are looking into the idea of heels for themselves. So my confidence was getting bigger by the minute. We walked into the room and everyone thought the same thing. But as always there is always one. Just before my 10 minute performance this girl with a bit too much dring came over to me and forgot the golden rule "never argue with someone who is about to get a microphone." So she comes over are you gay etc... I just laughed at her told her to wise up and said I just think girls have all the fun in the shoes depatment and since you are wearing jeans/trousers can i ask you if you are gay. She shut up and bought me a drink. My performance was great and I had to get up for an encore, so my ended up being on for 20 mins. So the night was nearly over my feet were killing me so I sat down for the rest of the night and enjoyed myself. I was told that the reaction the next morning was that numerous guys came up to my girlfriend and said that i was cool and they are going to check out the womens shoe deptment more often. So my morning after I woke with blisters and a good feeling and I am now as I said before, going to wear less femine square toe high heels casually now when im out shopping and im gonna have to hatch a plan to tell my parents about my heels before the year is out because I would like not to have to change at the bottom of the street and have my mum amybe go shoe shopping with me to save me money.

Thanks for the Faith link - Ah! it's the good old "Sabrina". I've got that style in a black pair and a beige pair and it's also done in dark olive-green. I wore my black pair to the Forum members' recent Birmingham Heel-Meet. A few other guys have posted that they've got a pair as well. Faith offers them up to size 9UK, but they run small. I take a 9UK but they needed quite a bit of stretching. A very sexy boot with a set-back 4 1/2" all-steel heel under the "Stacked leather" covering. Cheerfully yours, Heelfan

Onwards and upwards!