Im New, wearing ankle boots in public UK

exitman1

Hi, im new and from Belfast, Ireland. So I would especially like feedback from any UK based members.

I bought a pair of ankle boots recently, 2inch heel with buckle detail, see my webpage for pictures. http://mysite.freeserve.com/myheels

I was wondering if you guys would consider these too femine to wear in public as i would love too wear heels outside but am scared of doing so. I would wear them with long boot-cut jeans so as I can wear them without really getting noticed.

Also how did you guys pluck up the courage to wear heels in public as i cant wait to wear them as I love the way they feel.

Your pictures don't show because you are attempting to reference pics on your hard drive (your img src ref starts with C:\\ ) You need to upload the pics to your webspace and give the proper reference in your webpage code. Back to wearing heels in the UK. Just wear them. 2" ankle boots are no big deal anywhere. I've not done them in NI, but have in Eng, Scot and Wales for 15 years (4"+) so go for it. Check out Real life meetings and shopping forum for what ocurrs :D

Exitman 1, You won't have any problems at all with those. I was like you appear to be, but am upto 4" heels now. Albeit mostly covered in longer length bootleg jeans! Go for it. After your first couple of outings, it gets easier, believe me. Dave

Just GO FOR IT! The easiest places are blending-in in crowded shopping malls, NOT in semi deserted streets. No one will take a blind bit of notice! You'd have to go a LOT, LOT higher and slimmer before they do, and even then it's only the occasional glance of mild curiosity. After only an hour or less of street-heeling in those, you'll wonder what all your pre-stepping-out nerves were all about, and within days you'll be wishing you'd opted for 3" to 3 1/2" block heeled boots instead. No-one takes a scrap of notice of those either, even when you adjust your trousers to leave the whole heel exposed as I like to do. When you do get the thirst for these, Brantano (UK) usually has a good range of such ankle boots in all sizes up to 9 or 10UK. Oh yes, and take a peek at the thread which I started "Discreet Street-Heels for Guys". GO FOR IT! And many, many hundreds of hours of blissfully happy street-heeling to you! Cheerfully yours, Heelfan

Onwards and upwards!

Thanks for the words of encouagement, keep them coming. I do think they will be fairly unnoticable but im sure I will get nervous walking past people with the noise of heels. But i once had a pair of shoes I wore to school which were mens shoes and they made a heel-type noise. The only time I have worn obvious heels without anyone saying anything was whenever I was playing in a glam rock type band for charity. I wore stiletto boots and it was the feeling of sheer bliss, we stayed in the arena for a few drinks afterwards, the rest of the guys changed but our female drummer liked me in the heels adding that I was more confident wearing them, does anyone else ever get this. But as I said I wish to start being a causual heel wearer, just like girls as I have small feet size 6(UK) most of the mens shoes I would like dont fit so the female range is better and more versitle, they have all the fun. So I hope one day soon to step out in my boots (as pictured) without anyone caring, but my folks would think I was strange, but my girlfriend would not care as she just likes me to feel comfortable but I never asked her about wearing heels out with her one night....I think I may do that. Hope to hear more comments about what you guys even girls think of my boots and having the confidence to venture out as a casual heel wearer.

hiya, welcome to our little corner of the internet!! your experiences closely mirror mine in many ways in that my first pair of true street-heeling shoes were very similar to the ones you have posted. I too play in a band and i wear 2.5" block heel pointy boots and no-one takes any notice and the few comments that i have had have all been postive!! i have a lovely pair of 4" stiletto ankle boots that i would love to wear on stage but I havent got the guts to at the moment!! i look forward to hearing more from you! best wishes Jay

"If you put your mind to it, you can accomplish anything..." - Dr Emmet L Brown - 1985

Thanks guys keep the replies comming, the more I get the more encouraged I become.

In reply in Robert Those heels are very like mine, is that how you wear your jeans with them...with the whole boot showing. I would love that, do you get any strange looks when you wear them like that. But im going out tomorrow (saturday) to buy some (hopefully cheap) boot cut jeans that are as long as possible without looking like im hiding something, because as I said I want to wear that type of boot all the time without riducule. Im also going to hunt around the charity shops for more possibly thinner heels for when I get board of the block boots.

by the way I said that I wore stiletto type boots for charity with my band, here's the boots, which my girlfriend now owns, would you wear these.

http://www.debenhams.com/jv/product_details_jv.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=4680231&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=4704731&bmUID=1071877442609

(By the way it was from this time on that I realised that heels are so much more comfortable and satisfying to wear, after my girlfriend training me how to walk in them)

My girlfriend has the following shoes also and she keeps tempting me with them, what do you think. She said you could easily hide them under the jeans, but im not sure about the toe point....

http://www.debenhams.com/jv/product_details_jv.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=4680257&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=4704731&bmUID=1071877442625

by the way both are in black. What do you think....?

so keep giving me the encouragement to go out in my boots and maybe even tell me how you got on in heels like mine when you first started. i'll let you know tomorrow about my purchases.

Cheers, keep those comments coming.

These aren't much different from the ones above:

Posted Image

For the past couple of months I've been wearing them almost everywhere (except the office) and no one pays any attention.

This pair has a rubber heel that avoids slipping on wet surfaces as well as snow or ice. They are also very quiet and don't draw attention.

cool, love the heels guys..... you all seem to have no problem. As I said before today was the day I was going out to buy some jeans and accessories for my heels. Stay tuned and keep those comments comming as im going to post pictures and stuff to see what you think and if you would wear the same. Thanks exitman....

Ok as promised here is what my trousers look like with my heels.

Posted Image

full shot of the type of clothes I shall wear.

Posted Image

So how do you guys think they look, will I get any stares, funny looks or riduculed. In other words does it look like im hiding something or does it just look like any other pair of shoes. This will be how I will wear them because I wish to wear them all the time as casual heels, so would I get off with it. Eventually, I will wear thinner heels or maybe even a pair of black kitten heels as I love the pointed toe (femine, i know) but I would probably do this in London as Im over there quite a bit as i work on film soundtracks. I would also wear the kitten heels, stiletto type boots under these trousers....but that is a long time away hopefully I will reach this goal by the summer as boots will be too warm to wear.

By the way I also bought a belt today which I have seen loads of girls wear. I bought it out of inpulse and I have no idea how to use it. I posted a help me thing on the 'for the gals' becuase I was desperate to wear it to the cinema tonight but it has since been moved to the 'general section'. So please help. Also if any women are reading this I would appreciate your help and also can you give me a femine view of mow i look in my heels and my future plans of wearing more adventureous heels. Because I cannot wear boots in the summer also, I will be going over to the USA in april/may time for a holiday and I would like to wear this type of more adventureous heel since im away from home, so what do the people from the USA think of my ideas, will i get off with it OK, for example is the USA fairly free in its fashion thinking.

Cheers and thanks in advance.

In reply to Emma, I bought the longest possible, do you mean that it looks to obvious. By the way Ive added a full length picture of me with my heels on to my post above Emma's plus I also added some more detail, so if anybody out there would also like to comment on my more adventureous heel ideas PLEASE reply. Cheers...

I think you are being a bit over concious about hiding the heels. Instead of asking about all the opinions, you should get out there and try it, and modify the look to see how you feel. For example, I don't mind a few looks when I am wearing heels. As a wearer of high fashion you should expect it. Women get that all the time. What level of looks you want depends on you, so it is unfair to ask "is this Ok" for only you can answer that, having tried it out in your locality.

In reply to firefox. I just wish to know what experiences you guys had when you first went out. The reason I am asking for opinions and asking if it looks like im hiding is becuase people in Belfast and Ireland in genral are very out-spoken and if I am spotted and someone takes offence then they will shout it about to other people and I am likely to get beaten up quite badly. I also do not want to be percieved as gay, cross-dresser or otherwise because girls do not get called cross dressers when they wear mens jeans, shirts etc. So therfore thats why im so curious to see what other people think as you are seeing me how I will go out. I will of course alter my look with different shirts and accessories (i.e. girls belts) etc, but I want to be able to wear my heels everywhere without too much ridicule and I aim to take my first walk before Christmas. So please be easy on me as I am still training to walk in various types of heels with the aid of my girlfriend so as whenever I go out I am confident and able to walk in them without looking like im trying. Also my girlfriend is able to walk in stiletto type heels, block heels etc without virtually making any noise - in fact I think I made more noise in my mens dress shoes which I wore last night. So please dont be too critical as i wish to get as many replies as possible so that I feel like there is other people out there that do this......physiological force. Thanks for all your words of support this far. Cheers

Hi Exitman. If you want to wear shoes and boots out for the first time choose the length of your trousers so that the hem covers most of the heel but not so long that it wrinkels, so you need a bootcut or a slightly flared trousers (jeans). Add rubber to the heels to walk silenced and go out when it is crowded. You will get some looks. I got them too. Especially from those dime seekers :( You have to have your sayings ready. Here in the forums are a few examples of replies you can say when someone say something to you about your heels. It's a piece of cake. Really! Once you're through that, you got a lot of cakes :D I wish you a lot of success and a very merry christmas! Robert

OK, we'll be easy on you exitman :D There two things to bear in mind though. The people in NI are not likley half as bad as you think when it comes to this. Ok, I haven't been there, but I've been to plenty of other place in the UK where people have told me it "wasn't safe" to wear heels in public (eg Glasgow, Leeds, Newcastle etc) and every time they've been wrong. Their opinions have been based on conjecture, my opinions have been based on experience. Working in the construction industry I've also met loads of people fronm NI and never had any problem. The second thing is, you won't ever get called crossdresser because plainly you're not if you don't pretend to be a member of the opposite sex in other ways. The advantage you've got over crossdressers is that by merely wearing alternative footwear, you are not perceived as breaking down the social fabric, false though that may premise be, you avoid this perception. People may regard it as weird, an alternative look or a fashion fetish but it won't be regarded of cross dressing.

• 2 weeks later...

Belfast unless it has changed radically since i was last there three years ago is one of the most friendly cities i have ever visited.i certainly would have no qualms about wearing boots over there,thanks to the support of other members of this forum i now wear "low" heels (under 3") almost daily,get a couple of stares now & again,but never an adverse comment. You have to pick your surroundings on occasions,certainly i would not walk alone through town (any town) late at night in heels,then again how many women do that? Daytime wear if you alone is a very safe option,no one is bothered because people have better things to do with their time during the day!!! Godd luck with your street heeling,may have to look you up next time i am over :D

keen to meet other uk male heel wearers to try & boost my confidence to wear heels in public

FIRST SOLO WALK yes belfast is a friendly city but there are many hard eggs about just waiting to beat someone up. Yes maybe meet you someday. But back to my first walk. I have been getting good support from my girlfriend but she advised me just to walk around my local village to get used to them, so today I went out for half an hour in my boots. I was complete nervous wreck and I was convinced everyone in the place heard the sound of the heels as I walked along. Its maybe the way I was walking but they sound really loud to me (probably just my mind amplifying every footstep) I walked past someone on the opposite side of the footpath and they didnt seem to notice, but i think most of the noise was comming from my big steps, becuase as I said before my girlfriend walks around in stilletto style boots without really making a sound... how does she do this... So I just thought I'd let you all know and I hope you will give me some feedback as to how to quiet my steps down (I dont like the idea of glueing rubber to the heel as it would look strange and unbalance the heel) so as I can eventually go into town on my own and casually walk around in my heels. Hope to hear. Thanks

Exitman, I would say that you should wear whatever pleases you, you don't wear anything for other people. I trust that you have developed a good taste because it is fairly important that all your clothing matches to a style. I personally have worn heeled shoes and ankle boots (typically 2 1/2 '' but occasionally higher (4 inches) for many years on a frequent basis. The only comment I ever got was a kid in the underground metro who asked his mother if what I wore were high heels. His mother had a look, nodded and the tiopic was finished for the boy. Other than that I have felt that women generally seem to like it. I have to explain that I quite often wear hipster jeans or leather jeans that have rather long legs whereas my legs are rather short for my hight and thus I discovered heels with the fashion of the seventies (platform boots and shoes). I just continued wearing them and I never had problems with my supply despite I need size 10,5 or even 11 UK or 45 EU. Most of the boots were bought in men's shoe departments but I have about 5 or 6 pairs designed for female feet. And, believe you me, they seem to even fit better. I also have a pair of knee high boots with 3'' heels bought in the US and even wore them in the office (bank). The only comment I had from there was: where the hell did you get these lovely boots from? My experience is a rather positive and I had made it in several countries from Austria, Germany, Switzerland, Ireland, France, Australia and New Zealand. Most conservative males I found in Poland where you do not seem to be able to buy decent men's shoes at all, however they have good shoemakers and you can order them by measure (costs are comparable to shoes in an average Paris shop). Keep on wearing, greetz Kiwiguy

FIRST SOLO WALK

yes belfast is a friendly city but there are many hard eggs about just waiting to beat someone up. Yes maybe meet you someday.

But back to my first walk.

I have been getting good support from my girlfriend but she advised me just to walk around my local village to get used to them, so today I went out for half an hour in my boots. I was complete nervous wreck and I was convinced everyone in the place heard the sound of the heels as I walked along. Its maybe the way I was walking but they sound really loud to me (probably just my mind amplifying every footstep) I walked past someone on the opposite side of the footpath and they didnt seem to notice, but i think most of the noise was comming from my big steps, becuase as I said before my girlfriend walks around in stilletto style boots without really making a sound... how does she do this...

So I just thought I'd let you all know and I hope you will give me some feedback as to how to quiet my steps down (I dont like the idea of glueing rubber to the heel as it would look strange and unbalance the heel) so as I can eventually go into town on my own and casually walk around in my heels.

Hope to hear. Thanks

If you think there's some tough people in belfast, you should try Hackney!

I have never had any problem at all with heels around here except I don't wear them in front of neighbours out of respect for my daughter who could get grief from her "friends" for it.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

Street-heeling in quiet villages is MUCH more nerve-wracking than in big bustling cities and shopping centres. In a village you can be the only person clip-clopping down the street and the odd knot of locals will turn and stare at ANYTHING moving past them. By contrast, when we get stuck into hustling, bustling Oxford Street and other similar city centres, even a whole group of twelve of us on one of our Forum Heel-Meets (see "Real Life Meetings" section) including some of us wearing 5" stilettos, hardly gets any attention whatsoever! In bustling cities, everyone just seems to "blend in" to the bustle, and all the other passers-by are much to busy and preoccupied to pay much attention to what some guy amongst the millions seems to be wearing. It's great! Try it! Cheerfully yours, Heelfan

Onwards and upwards!