toebox alteration

new_look

i have just purchased some stiletto boots. Pleased to say my foot fits nicely in them apart from the very front nearing the point, the height of the toe box becomes very flat and causes the toe to be a bit squashed. T know the moulding is on this particular bit, any ideas to remove a bit of flatness?? open to the experts....

A Stanley knife and make them peep-toe (tee-hee!) No, seriously though Daz, I get this problem on a few of my boots. 1. Use Barratts softening-spray to break down the chemical barrier on the leather-finish. 2. Fill a basin with water (initially warm) and a SMIDGEON of Fairy Liquid (to break down the water's surface tension), and immerse the toe-part only of the boots into the water and leave propped in there to saturate for several hours (up to 24). 3. Extract from the water, shaking off the excess, and hammer-in a pair of pre-prepared wooden wedges, which you have made in advance to the height of your toes (plus a little bit for luck). These must be very rounded and very smooth and finely sandpapered on the leading-edge, top, sides and bottom to slip in and out of the toe boxes with ease, and without rupturing the leather. It is essential do do a number of "dry-runs" first in between rasping these two blacks down in the vice until you are sure that they are the perfest shape and size for the job. I always drill a top-to-bottom hole near the back of the wedges and insert a wire in each so that I can be sure of being able to pull them both out again afterwards. 4. Leave the wedges in place for 2 to 4 days whilst allowing the saturated toe-box to dry-out thoroughly. 5. You may find that the exterior colour-finish on the toe box has gone lacklustre and porous. Re-nourish the leather with Meltonian (or other good) shoe-cream and elbow-grease! 6. Years of blissful stiletto-wearing with happy toes! Incidentally, you've kept us all on tenterhooks re. the description of your new purchase - heel-height, style etc.! One good turn deserves another! Cheerfully yours, Heelfan

Onwards and upwards!

I could accelerate Heelfan's method for you. The plastic that forms the shape of the toe goes soft when it gets hot so that should be your answer. After heating squirt in a bit of leather softener (stretch fluid) and insert your shaped piece of wood.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

he he cheers experts. i tried standing in them im the bath of warm water but it didnt do that much. will try your ideas but i have to say as much as i try my perfection for wood crafting isnt that spectacular. I usually prefer to stick with cars, computers and banking....the things im good at :D The boots ive got are the same black ones i wore on our last london trip, but in size 8 instead of tighter 7, to help my feet be happier :( and they are much more roomy. 4.5inches. im going to get the plastic heeltip replaced with metal ones so i can do what stilettos are supposed to do and make some NOISE! daz

• 1 month later...

back to this section, finally going to get round to doing the above. As i have mentioned i am not the best woodworker in the world. does anyone have any ideas how to make the right shape, what material to use etc. Ill probably make a pigs ear out of it so to speak :D cheers daz

Find a shoe of th right size with the toe shape you want. Fill a poly bag with a larg quantity of plastic wood or car body filler and ram it into the toe. Wait for it to set then remove it take it out of the bag and use it as a former for your modification.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

• 9 months later...