What happens when the trend is over?

Laurieheels

...It has been mentioned that higher heels are a trend right now, and that many of the members of our community are seeing more and more women wearing heels.

This is not true for me. The last 15 years have been dismal regarding high heel sightings in my area.

...The speculative issue I would like to discuss is this: What happens when the current higher heel trend is over? What happens to those women who bought higher heels? Do they keep wearing them, now that they know they can, or do they feel happy that they can wear something lower if that is what the trend holds?...

When the current trend is over, I believe that the majority will follow along. Their heels will either end up somewhere in the back of their closets or will be donated to thrift shops or will be thrown out.

I bet some of those who wear high heels strictly to be in style would enjoy any fashion excuse to switch to flats. We must agree that high heels do put the body in a somewhat unnatural position. That is why it's so uncomfortable for many. Some who wear high heels for reasons other than fashion are willing to put up with this discomfort. You have to be motivated to make an effort to train yourself for high heels. Unfortunately, those without such motivation give up at the onset of pain.

...Will high heels as a trend make women more used to wearing heels, and thus keep wearing them?...

As I already mentioned, I believe that women must be motivated by reasons other than fashion to wear high heels on a regular basis.

...Of course, it is not a majority group of women who will be following the current fashion trends of higher heels, but it is an influential and very visible group...

visible? I agree since anyone who dares to be different will stand out and be noticed. But as for "influential", I'm not sure about that.

...and what happens to all of those who appreciate the trend and enjoy viewing the high level of high heeled activity?

I am experiencing a low level of high heel activity. And because visible high heel activity among the general public is so sporadic and unpredictable, it provides minimal satisfaction for me.

In my case, no matter what the trend does, I still have my high heel wearing partner, my own high heels, the internet to view still images and high heel movies, and the internet to interact with others who share a similar interest. I can satisfy my needs no matter what the trend does.

click .... click .... click .... The sensual sound of stiletto heels on a hard surface.

This report could be posted in any number of places. I went visiting in Hollywood today and stopped in a couple of shoe stores, one of whom (Maya's) I know. The other was more of a warehouse scene, with boxes stacked all over the floor with shoes on top showing the styles, and the walls full of shoes. The point is this: I saw few heels on the street, but there were many young girls in the stores trying on and buying platform stiletto heeled sandals (fetish type) from 6 to 8+ inches high! And I overheard a family window shopping, with the kids and mother saying they really liked the neon colored stiletto platforms! Didn't see any men shopping, though, except for me!

To back up what I said about high heels always being in fashion, here is a picture that was taken in 1953, FIFTY years ago. It's from a magazine and the article is discussing if the stilleto heel will catch on! well we all know the answer to that one.

Posted Image

"You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave ! " The Eagles, "Hotel California"

Here in Southern California, I've just been getting the feeling lately that stiletto pumps are coming back. High heels in general seem to have held fairly constant as long as I can remember. Back in the mid to late 80's most office women wore skirts and pumps, what I term the Halcyon Days. My heart sank around 1991 when they basically disappeared in a year. They started doing funny things with the heels, Scheel or something like that comes to mind and then boom, block block block. I couldn't stand blocks at first, but grew accumstomed to them over time. Now and then (perhaps once a year), I'd see a stiletto pump holdout and practically flip! With bladed heels appearing a few years ago if I'm remembering right, things began to look up. I certainly hope the positive trend isn't ending :( I'm hopeful things will only get better over the next few years here. Now if they can just stop wearing these ground dragging pants... :(

I am going to tr a theory here and suggest that the groung dragging pants are born out of guilt. Are women ashamed of their shoes and boots? This would be the only reason to cover them up. I mean, why spend all of that money on a nice pair of pumps, only to cover them? it is like having a painting by, oh, Van Gogh, and always covering it with a sheet. So did the trend start when women were embarrassed by their shabby footwear, and trying to hide the ugly, flat excuses for footwear, or did it arise when women were wearing heels a lot, but didn't wish to be seen as too tarty, because of the stupid stereotype of heels and women in bars, or on street corners... Or is it just the designers' lazy way of making pants that no one ever has to hem? Just make everything really long, and continue the war against the poor tailors who have attempted to alter the creations of fashion designers for years?

If that is what they're doing, then they might as well wear platforms. I mean, why hide the fact that they can do it? I for one am proud of what I can do while wearing heels, and how well I can wear them. I wish fashion would promote that. Alas, they have other conspiracies to spread in the fashion world, in order to continue making money.

WARNING: Contentious statement follows :(

Speaking personally, I can't wait for the current HH trend to be over (my god, is he insane? - Ed.)

Why I hear you ask? Simply because I am tired of seeing other women wearing heels everywhere I go, yet my wife won't wear them unless it is a special occasion and I faithfully promise I won't make her walk more than 20 paces in them.

I love her to bits but on this one subject she frustrates the hell out of me. She won't wear heels down the supermarket yet, when I go with her, I find loads of women strutting about in 3-4" heels (knee-highs, ankle boots, courts even). We go down the local village community centre for a school thingy (not usually the place you expect to find HH wearers) yet there they are, spike and thin block heels everywhere. It's madness. I can't get away from the bloody things.

I could go on about nightmare shopping trips where my wife just turns her nose up at the shoes I'm picking out for her and we go home empty handed - only for her to go out on her own 2-3 days later and buy a pair of 1.5" blockie boots from Clarks. Comments like, "I don't want to look tarty" or "I'm a Mum" annoy me. She's only bloody 35 for god's sake!

Sometimes, just sometimes, she surprises me and wears 4" heels for a day out shopping but most of the time it's "right shoe for the right occasion", which means trainers or her damn Clarks boots (I'd burn the bloody things if I thought I'd get away with it). She knows I love high heels but she doesn't wear them enough.

I can't change her and, as I said, I love her to bits, so I'm not about to off and leave her because she doesn't fit the mould of my ideal woman. I don't expect her to wear 4" stiletto's for a walk in the park either but saving them for the one time in the month when we can get a babysitter and go out isn't enough for me.

So while the current HH trend continues I am being tortured every day by what I see on the streets. The Laurie's, Susan's, Becky's and Carolyn's of this world - I love what you're doing girls but it's doing me 'ead in, so please, let there be an end to this madness :(

Either that or I persade her to go on "What Not to Wear". Trinnie and whatserface seem to always put the ladies in heels when "smartening them up" so perhaps therein lies my solution :-)

Sorry if I depressed anyone with this post. Welcome to my world, those I have :-(

Zathrus

• 2 weeks later...

It's like a pendulum. It comes . . . it goes. But it is always there. The earliest Stilettos came on the scene in the 50's and they are still being worn. Classics like CoCo Chanels' "Little Black Dress", pearls, a Bill Blass jacket, a Dior bag, Channel #5 and stilettos will always be popular. They are durable enough to have stood the test of time. Don't sweat the small stuff kiddo!

"Spike Heels . . a Pork-pie hat . .

Have on the mend in no time flat . . Ten Minutes 'Till The Savages Come by Manhatten Transfer.