Orange County Register Article - News from California

Daisuki

I was surprised to find a good article on women and their shoes this morning. I thought the other readers here might find it interesting as well. My paper has an online website that also has the article. Unfortunately it requires you to register. A link to the full story follows, but here are some snippets:

<Source - Orange County Register - Sep 19 '03 - By CHERYL ROSENBERG NEUBERT>

A girl and her shoes

There are few things a woman loves more than her footwear.

Yes, this is about shoes. How women adore them. The look of them. The feel of them. The way we feel in them. The instant rush we get when, on our lowest day, another woman compliments us on our new kicks.

Boots. Mules. Ankle-straps. (Is your heart racing yet?) Open-toed or platforms. Doesn't matter. We love them. We must have them. Is it genetic? Biological? Do we need a reason?

Nordstrom in South Coast Plaza, as any shoe shopper knows, is THE place to go for footwear in Orange County.

Salesman Danny Galos will be our guide. (It is not smart to venture into a shoe department alone, even in a professional capacity, because the instinctive shoe-buying drive can be too powerful to overcome.) He has been selling shoes for 16 years, so he is qualified to lead us. He knows shoes like he knows shoes.

"Shoes are like a drink and drug rolled into one," Galos said. "Women feel powerful. Look at the posing. She turns into someone else in front of the mirror. They change from a customer into something they're imagining. That's when you know. That's a true shoe lover."

He certainly easily recognizes the particular species of customer.

There's the gatherer – the woman who collects about seven pairs of shoes in her arms, snatching them off the displays as if they'd otherwise vaporize, before asking the salesperson to find her size.

There's the fanatic, who can't wait to have the shoe on her foot and so crams her size 8½ foot into the size 6 sample.

And there's the aficionado, who holds the shoe away from her and gazes at it as if it's a precious diamond.

Recognize yourself?

<end quotes>

Make sure you check out the images as well, I chuckled when one image graphic said "You won't find a stiletto more than 4 inches high since anything higher is bad for the tendons." :lol:

It also says that "men don't get it", well they obviously didn't ask enough people. As we know some (myself included) sure do.

Enjoy

http://www2.ocregister.com/ocrweb/ocr/article.do?id=57702&section=ACCENT&subsection=ACCENT&year=2003&month=9&day=19

Well, if anything above four inches is bad for the tendons, then hey, at least that says up to four inches is fine! And with four inches being what I'd like as my minimum, for more active wear, that's perfect! Besides, how many women can get past two inches of something blockish? Let's take the positive from that comment, and get women to go as high as four inches. I'd mention men, but come on, the men who are interested in heels don't have so much of a problem trying out the higher heel heights, do they? :lol: As for me, I am the aficianado. I will look for that perfect pair, hold it out, then cradle it as if it were the most precious thing, and pray they have it in my size. Although once, when there was that online place in Calgary, and they had a sale, I was all about being the gatherer when I was in their office :lol: That was a fun day. Ah. memories.

Not a bad article. Worth "registering" for though when I register for this kind of site I just put in any old rubbish. Usually "x" in every box where I can get away with as little. It was quite wrong about some men and shoes, but then I suppose these kind of articles thrive on general stereotype and well worn jokes to keep them stumbling along.

"It was quite wrong about some men and shoes, but then I suppose these kind of articles thrive on general stereotype and well worn jokes to keep them stumbling along." I don't know how to put that in a box like I see here. Firefox is right, but Lauries reaction sort of reinforces the perception that women are shoe fanatics. I missed the article since I have been away for two weeks. With 13 being my size, I don't try to shop in any of the big name stores like Macy's, Nordstrom, or the mall stores, since they generally don't carry anything over xize 10. And I like my stiletto platforms which I can find at the stores in Hollywood or on the Internet.

• 1 month later...

I found this new snipet in the Register today, a link follows. If the "guide" itself is worth posting, I'll do so :(

Back to the '80s

Pump it up, but with one bold move at a time.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can't stop the return of '80s fashion, but you can control it. This week, a guide to adding '80s-style accessories without going full Flashdance.

Designer jeans of the 21st century have been screaming for this great addition from the past. The ultimate '80s high heel is reborn, and I have found where they are waiting. Steve Madden is crawling with striking stilettos ripe for a Tina Turner video or a night out in Laguna Beach. Throw on jeans, a little white T-shirt and let the tip of a nearly fluorescent heel pop out from the hem of your denim. Adding the colored bag may be a bit much here, so to play it safe stick with one bold pop at a time. Pumps featured at Madden's South Coast Plaza location include the Kammie, Tawnie and Meshster...

http://www2.ocregister.com/ocrweb/ocr/article.do?id=62742&section=LIFE&subsection=LIFE&year=2003&month=10&day=22