hello from...er...I forget

oh yeah, socal.

looking forward to many happy discussions.

What would you like to discuss? Need a little more information about your interest in high heels, for starters.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

I was thinking about learning how to make heels and boots as a hobby because rarely do elegant quality heels come in large sizes. When they do, they don't always fit comfortably. With thighboots, for example, either the foot fits right and the shaft is way too big, or vice versa. I'm very good with my hands, so I know I can do the job right, but I need to take a gut-check to see if I'm wanting to do it for the shoes or for the experience of learning how to make something new. With the expansion of cheaper manufacturers like Pleaser, all the mid-level shoe and bootmakers either went out of business or charge more for their work. Basically I have to settle for cheap stuff made in China, or pay mega dollars for quality footwear that I won't wear enough to justify the extreme cost. Already made the latter mistake with 2 pairs of boots from Jean Gaborit. Great boots, but I just don't wear them enough. Finding good looking slingbacks in a large size is tough too. Unlike many tall guys (I'm 6'2"), I don't like 2, 3, and 4 inch heels. I have strong svelte ankles, good looking legs, and like to wear a 5 or 6 inch heel to show them off....mostly 5. I like platforms too as long as they're not trashy or cheap. Finding a good crotch high patent leather boot with 9 inch heel and 4 inch platform is almost impossible without sacrificing an arm and a leg. I'm not a drag queen nor do I have any inklings of wanting to be a woman, but I like the feeling of the women's clothes/shoes in the privacy of the home once in a while. Anyway, I have lots of footwear and clothing sitting in storage that I need to unload. Most of it is in new condition only tried on for size or worn once or twice around the house before deciding the fit wasn't correct and putting it back in the box (I'm picky about fit).

avidsiman, you are not the first member that has had the idea of making your own high heel boots and shoes. Several others have actually produced items they've made in their own basement/garage workshops. And, as far as I know, while they do have something to show for their efforts, not one of these projects has been really successful. We also have several experienced/expert show repairmen/cobblers amongst us as well as several graduate shoe designers. If I recall correctly, while they all would like to see someone succeed, the time, effort, experience, capital and "where with all" to make a "quality" pair of shoes just isn't "there" at the moment. Perhaps Dr. Shoe, one of our graduate designer guys, can make some suggestions that might be useful to you.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.