High Heeled Goddess Diary #6

Laurieheels

I'm not in a mood for conversation or writing tonight, which is not what I would have thought when I woke up this morning, certainly. Interesting how family can ruin a good mood some days. But I love my family, so I won't complain. I do hate daylight savings time for one reason: I thought it happened at the end of April. I didn't watch the news or read any papers over the weekend. Okay, nothing happened as a result, except that Chris and I slept in until noon this morning, when I thought it was only 11am. Maybe I don't hate it, but it did annoy me. (daylight savings time is a north american thing, certainly, where we adjust the clocks over the winter, to allow it to be light out at certain times) As for the week, well, I wore heels, I spent the beginning of the week wearing my five and a half inch black leather pumps, and because the weather decided to suck, we had snow and I finished things with my boots, which are not repaired, but the crack does not seem to be making any difference. Thanks to everyone who gave advice. And since that is quite a sarcastic comment, the number of people who gave advice is zero. Way to go. Thursday night was an important night, so I was able to leave work early to make sure I was there in time for it. I had lost my voice while at work, and I can't perform my job if I cannot talk to people. My throat hurt a lot, and driving was easierr on the voice than being at work. So home I went, and it was three hours of driving while wearing my boots. A four inch heel did nothing to keep me from having a pretty good trip. (The weather tried to ruin that, but I was very lucky). The special occassion? Well, Chris can be mad at me if he likes, but, it was his birthday. We took his daughter with us to have dinner, and it was a lot of fun. Now, I had all of this other stuff to talk about, but I think I'll just wipe my mind clean and start fresh for next week. Simply put, I was going to talk about young girls and shoes, in that suddenly, I was being asked about my boots, and where I bought them. For a nine year old girl who doesn't know that these web sites exist, and doesn't know about shopping, or just where England is, as that's where they came from, it's not easy to answer the question. Besides, she's nine, Chris and I are not going to let her be anything other than that. If you could see her smile, and hear her laugh, you'd understand. And that's it for today. If you feel there was some lack of content, I apologize. I may be in a better mood next week, as I may have my day picked for transferring with work to Edmonton once and for all. They're quite eager to get me there, and the office is nice, with easy access to everything. Sorry, no clever ending to this diary entry. Maybe next week.

daylight savings time is a north american thing,

Nope, You haven't got that all to yourself. :wink:

We've had it down here for yonks.DS finished about 2 weeks ago and now there just doesn't seem to be enough time in the day to get every thing done.

It may still be a little early in the season for y'all,but if you can find a local bee keeper, I'm sure he would give you a small lump of propollis.Take a pea sized piece and gently suck on it.The antibiotic properties in this bee product will ease your throat and kill any infection.A very pleasant and natural remedy.

While you are at the bee yard getting your propollis,don't forget to take the time to sit quietly with the bees for a while.That in it's self is very therapeutic and they love to hear your troubles and family gossip.

A delightful English woman ( an anthropologist)I know has one of my hives in her garden for this very thing...

jim

Sorry Laurie about the crack in your boot heel. I don't know if this would work or not--try filling it with black colored fiberglass resin, presumably available from a boat supplier. I assume it is available in colors now--haven't seen it used in about 30 years--back then I believe you had to mix in the pigment yourself. You'd probably need several fillings as it tends to shrink. Alternatively you could use 2-part epoxy resin, which amounts to the same thing, but it doesn't come in colors.

"All that you can decide, is what to do with the time that is given you."--Gandalf,

"Life is not tried, it is merely survived

-If you're standing outside the fire."--Garth Brooks

On my side of Australia we rejected daylight saving in 3 different referendums, supposedly because we are smarter than the rest of the world. I mean who wants the cows coming home 3 times a day to give milk instead of 2. And then there is the fading of the curtains with the extra hour in each day. Curtains are expensive enough as it is without causing them to fade sooner. :wink: Jeff

On my side of Australia we rejected daylight saving .... And then there is the fading of the curtains with the extra hour in each day....

JeffM, I'm a little confused by your logic. The duration of sunlight is the same wether it's standard time or daylight saving time. The only difference is that daylight saving time sunrise and sunset are both one hour later than with standard time.

So I would think your curtains get the same amount of exposure to fading wether it's standard time or daylight saving time. In fact, the only way I could see a difference is that if you open and close your curtains differently in the summer than in the winter.

click .... click .... click .... The sensual sound of stiletto heels on a hard surface.

:wink: Hey PJ...........Kick back and relax,he's just messin' with you.

SWISHHHHHHHHH (kicking back) ...........

aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh (relaxing)

click .... click .... click .... The sensual sound of stiletto heels on a hard surface.

To PJ I was having a lend of you yes, but I was also passing on to all the reasons given in "debate" by both dairy farmers and some of the older generation why we shouldnt have DS. And it was that faction that won out on the day, hence no DS for W.A. The logic of their logic totally beat me too as it did you. And yet the results of the referendums were the same on 3 occassions and for basically for the same reasons. So we must be smarter than the rest of the world, get it? Jeff

In the UK we put the clocks forward towards the end of March. We call this British Summer Time (as opposed to Greenwich Mean Time). Putting the clocks forward isn't the problem. Long summer evenings being a welcome benefit in a country that is so often grey and rainy. The debate usually occurs when it comes to putting the clocks back in October. Darkness at 4pm is rather depressing. The argument is often given that permanent BST would mean children going to school in the dark. Apparently, children coming home from school in the dark is not such a problem. As in Australia, I think it actually has more to do with farmers but I can't motivate myself to think what. Plus, we have been told that this subject is closed so I'm already on borrowed time. Then there's the length of my second paragraph which is causing me no small amount of consternation.

Sorry Laurie one more on this please......

Long summer evenings being a welcome benefit in a country that is so often grey and rainy. The debate usually occurs when it comes to putting the clocks back in October. Darkness at 4pm is rather depressing.

I couldn't agree more. I wish they would just leave it so that we have that extra hour in the evening. But at least we have Christmas to break up that dreariness and the buying of our Christmas outfits and of course shoes to go with them :wink:

Jxx

Let calm be widespread

May the sea glisten like greenstone

And the shimmer of summer

Dance across your pathway

"Communication is a two way thing"

And of course, GMT/BST makes no difference to shop opening hours, so we can all carry on shopping for shoes as long as we want!

Obsessed is such a strong word. I prefer to think of myself as "differently enthusiastic"

I post a diary, and all anyone can talk about is daylight Savings Time. Well that's just super. :D

DST has past, let's talk shoes!

hmmm, good point there Laurie. Let me do a little investigating to find out who started this daylight savings time talk so we can identify the leader of this problem .......

Let's start out with the first post in this thread....

...I do hate daylight savings time ....... daylight savings time is a north american thing.......

I think I have found who the culprit is !!!! It's ....... it's ......... :D ...... never mind. :wink:

But no one says anything about how to fix her boots--y'all couldn't even stop and tell me that my idea was good or feckless!!

"All that you can decide, is what to do with the time that is given you."--Gandalf,

"Life is not tried, it is merely survived

-If you're standing outside the fire."--Garth Brooks

Peej I thought that too but didn't have the guts to er um mention it :wink: Azraelle I thought your ideas were good. :D Laurie do you think that if you could post a pic of your problem you may have more forthcoming ideas of how to resolve your wounded heel? :( Yam I guess you have hit the nail upon the head, as long as the shoe shops have good lighting why should an hour give or take make a difference :D Julie xx

Let calm be widespread

Posting a picture of the problem. I'll work on that. I need a lot of light to allow the web camrea to pick it up. The boots work well, it is just annoying to have the outer shell of the heel broken like that, adding a wobble at times, and changing the sound. And it looks bad. As for who started the DST thing, um, my diary, my rules. Isn't that how it works? If you are seeing dark clouds gathering overhead, run and hide. :wink: It was not who started it, or that it was discussed, but more of the focus being on that rather than everything else. Such a shame. There are a few other reasons why it was bothering me, but I won't get into it.

Oh guys come on :wink: This thread was a good and interesting one and it just went into the DST discussion, and all credit to you Laurie for posting something that started an interesting thread. The reason I joined this forum and haven't bothered with others is because the people on here are interesting and can talk about varied things in an adult manner. I appreciate that there are specific forums but sometimes one thing can lead to another, as in this case. Surely the rules aren't that strict that we cannot go off onto little tangents and ventures elsewhere? ................and to bring it back to shoes - do you think more footwear is purchased in the warmer weather and longer days when we are happier, or, in the winter months when the days are shorter and we need cheering up?

Let calm be widespread

Absolutely. Topic drift is all part of the fun. I seem to remember a thread trying to organise a heel meet, which got hijacked by the gricers and turned into something quite unrecognisable (Francis - are you listening :wink: ) And to answer Julietta's question, I buy more shoes in the winter, as that's when there's more of my favourite booty styles around. I need cheering up in the summer when there's fewer nice shoes to buy :D

Obsessed is such a strong word. I prefer to think of myself as "differently enthusiastic"

As far as the question goes, I do not have a purchasing pattern. I manage as I do, when money allows. Spring used to be a big time for my shoe shopping, and I always bought myself a pair for my birthday. However, the pattern is gone, pretty much. This year, I don't think I'll be spending much on myself for my birthday. Which is fine, as there are a lot of other important things to spend money on. Okay, so my quick answer is springtime.

Of course, BST (or British Summer Time) has little or nothing to do with BSE (or Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy). We tend to call the human strain of BSE 'Mad Cow Disease'. Not a tremendously important factor in enjoying a pleasant evening; perhaps in the garden of a local pub with some young friends.

It also has nothing to do with CSE (Certificate of Secondary Education), which has now been replaced by GCSE (General Certificate of Secondary Education - I think), either being quite a handy tool to have enabling us to contribute to forums such as this. It also helps to have one of these certificates, particularly in English, for reading the labels in shoes...

Let calm be widespread

Neither, of course, does BST (which you will know, if you've been paying attention, stands for British Summer Time) have much in common with BSL. This stands for British Sign Language and is a lot more use to deaf people than an hour's extra sunshine. Coincidentally, I have just been watching a programme about BSL. The challenges faced by those wishing to bring this form of communication to a wider audience were likened to those facing the Welsh in maintaining their national identity through their native language. Ironically, the extra hour of daylight gained through BST would no longer be of such great benefit to Welsh people keen to communicate via BSL, since I understand they now have electricity. Even in the valleys!

DST (Daylight Saving Time) has nothing to do with DSS (Department of Social Security) either. But, the shorter days would make collecting of DSS payments annoying if the recipients couldn't see to count their money, especially, if they were planning on spending a part of it in the local shoe shop... nothing more annoying than being short changed if you have your eye on a special pair of shoes!

Let calm be widespread

I doubt very much that DSS (The Department of Social Security) have anything at all to do with DSS Autos of Caddington, Bedfordshire. Of course, if any of the employees of DSS Autos were claiming benefits whilst being gainfully employed; then I imagine that the DSS may take an interest. I have no experience of DSS Autos, but in general, small garages are more likely to inflate the bill for a car repair than to condone social security fraud by any of its employees. That said, in case of any car trouble in the south beds area, DSS Autos who are located at Chaul End Farm, Chaul End Village can be reached on 01582 724452.

Of course, when I was but a poor student, many years ago, I used to have terrible trouble coping with BST, or 'Basic Student Tome'. The bookshop used to charge huge amounts for the volumes that we needed. There was particular confusion around September and March, when the students swapped around a bit, and we were left fighting over the one remaining copy of some required course reading material. ObShoe: I'm sure that a decent pair of stiletto boots would have made decent weapons in the melee!