what if high Heels prohibited?

shoegirl

Wanted to ask in girls forum first... But this applies to men as well. What would you do if you ended up somewhere where high heels are prohibited? I mean sometimes they say not to wear heels in airports or escalators... I've been in quite a few places where I saw NO HEELS sign. and if in new homes you can walk barefoot, then at the power plant (where I had a tour when I was in college) it was out of question, yet floors weren't real floors they were metal bars so on the 36th floor you could see all the way to the bottom... Everytime I think what would I do if I wore high heels? So, you never know where you might end up...

That is an interesting and thought provoking question, although it probably applies more to those who wear stiletto heels as opposed to those who favour footwear with a larger heel base like cuban,platform or wedge as these would have the same level of problem traversing a metal grating as you have described.

So I guess that you are left with a few options...if the heel style that you are wearing is of the prohibited type you either don't enter the area in question, carry a spare pair of flat shoes somehow, consider going barefoot but that may have safty considerations or maybe ask the establishment that you are in the best course of action for you to take.

It would be difficult if the request is sprung upon you as you would not be prepared, unlike when you visit a bowling alley for example when you know in advance that you are going to have to change you heels for "alley shoes", likewise if you knew you were going to an industrial complex you might want to think about wearing the most appropriate footwear in the first place....after all you would not go rock climbing in heels or jogging in flip flops...in short try and be prepared for the environment you are going to visit.

Still.....it leaves you thinking....just what would you do??

Shoegirl, I'm with bad robot on this. A difficult question and although I am a dedicated heel wearer, they are cuban styles that dont have issues with grates and so on. I take it by "HEELS" you are thinking of stiletto or similarly slim styles. I would suggest that were you (or I for that matter) wearing a pair of stiletto heels and faced with this dilema, I would probably have a pair of those little fold-up slippers that would take up virtually no space in my bag. Wearing the appropriate footwear is essential. My wife keeps a pair of loafers in the car just in case the situation demands. Just means you have to carry your shoe closet around with you. Simon.

Are you confusing me with someone who gives a damn?

Being prepared. If it's a company visit expect different rules for the site than in your office - hard hats, safety glasses, limited access in production areas. Safety shoes may be mandatory outside walkways. As a visitor your "guide" MUST assess your risk and advise accordingly. For wire mesh walkways for example you would either be given an alternative route (and a second guide) if your footwear (or clothing) would put you at risk. As a visitor your host IS responsible to protect you and NOT put you at risk. This is part of UK health and safety legislation. I remember at a junior school for parent evenings there was always a request for no stilettos to save the wooden floor in the hall. The above relates to the girls, I have been at work (aircraft maintenance facility) in heels and been VERY cautious where I am going and being seen. Being seen may be embarrassing but creating an incident and being witnessed in inappropriate footwear would be disaster. Al

Wanted to ask in girls forum first... But this applies to men as well.

What would you do if you ended up somewhere where high heels are prohibited? I mean sometimes they say not to wear heels in airports or escalators... I've been in quite a few places where I saw NO HEELS sign. and if in new homes you can walk barefoot, then at the power plant (where I had a tour when I was in college) it was out of question, yet floors weren't real floors they were metal bars so on the 36th floor you could see all the way to the bottom... Everytime I think what would I do if I wore high heels? So, you never know where you might end up...

Thanks for bringing this topic up for discussion. In our quest to be accepted high heelers, as guys, we aren't usually in heels in most public gatherings that require the removal of our heels, except at airport inspections. When I first saw the subject title, I thought, "oh great, now some group or movement is pushing for heels to be taken completely off the market and they want them to be banned from public use, again like in the time of the French Revolution." So, I was quite relieved and redirected my concerns, after I had read the explanation on your thread's subject.

Everyone who wears heels, realizes their use is somewhat restricted to certain venues and activities, even more so for stilettos. If heels are worn for situations that over extend their natural restrictions, both the heels and the wearer could sustain damage. The dressier heels are even more limited in their use because they are more proned to showing their soils and damages, which may render them unwearable because of their appearance. To continue wearing them in this unattractive condition, has a way of some how reflecting unfavorably on the wearer's character, just as wearing dirty clothes would. So the idea of wearing heels in areas that would most certainly result in the damage to one's high heels, not to mention the possiblility for personal and financial cost incurred, heelers need to have some other footwear to change in to.

As heelers, the idea that we can't wear heels everywhere we want, goes against how we feel about wearing high heels. However, in real life, many of these ideas are too impractical without having to take such extra measures for personal safety and for the protection of our heels. We have all seen photos or videos of people heeling while they are supposively doing various outdoor activities like: skate boarding, biking, running, camping, hiking, climbing, swimming, and etc. Although, these activities have elements for fun and fantasy, and they are better than sitting in front of the television, because they require more deliberate muscle useage, the possibility for heel damage usually out weighs the decision to wear them in these settings, depending on the replacement value and their availability, of course.

I guess the bottom line is to be responsible heelers and enjoy the heeling activities where ever they are not prohibited.

When I first saw the subject title, I thought, "oh great, now some group or movement is pushing for heels to be taken completely off the market and they want them to be banned from public use, again like in the time of the French Revolution."

No no no! I would never want high heels to go out of use. I remember 1998-2001 when the ugliest shoes were most popular and you could see barely any high heels in stores (it was also good for me, kept my urge down:smile:) But in my question I mean sometimes we end up in places we didn't plan to be. I have 2 examples: a friend of mine invited me to check out something. I asked "what is that?" she said "you'll see" so we went. It was entire street of new multimillon houses opened for pulic to see. NO STILETTOS sign at every entrance. I had a thought then "hmm, if I wore heels right now, I would have to take them off" and unlike all my friends, I hate walking barefoot or wearing flipflops or sandals. Example number two: when I was in college, my friend invited me to visit his home during the summer. I was mega excited, because his home is in Caracas Venezula. So I went down there it was totally awesome! Women there have very good sence of fashion so tons of cute shoes and outfits:) And here I come, jeans t-shirt and sneakers:) Yet, I was megacenter of attention because being tall and blond attracts lots of attention. So our company was cruising around Caracas and my friend said "we got to show you mountains and cable cars!" So we went. In the montains there were no roads of course... Girls in our company wore stilettos:w00t2: I love love love stilettos, I want to wear them a lot, but that evening I did not envy those girls. So it partially goes to what Histiletto said. But on the other hand we didn't plan that... and taking shoes off was not possible, because of sharp rocks...