Make your own shoes?

CassieJ

Anyone wanted to make your own shoes? I have thought about it but thought it would be too difficult. Then I found this book...

http://www.marywalesloomis.com/index.html

Doesn't look like it is as hard as I thought. For those with larger feet, theis might be a way to get shoes in any design you like in your size. Looks like the hardest part is making the forms to match your feet.

What do you think?

It's a fairly sizeable investment of time and money to make the lasts and get the right equipment to make your own shoes, but if you have the disposable income, it wouldn't be bad. I think many of us here though don't have quite that much free cash to play with.

SQ.....still busting societal molds with a smile...and a 50-ton sledge!

I made a pair of clog boots once. I used a band saw to cut out the soles, and made the uppers out of canvas. I use a center-seam down the front, and this allowed me to cut and sew the canvas using my foot as a last on the sole. The Mary Loomis book shows how to make lasts out of plaster of paris both by using old shoes as molds, and also from your foot with the arch made by supporting your foot on an old heel of the desired height. It's a lot of detailed work, but doesn't have to be expensive.