Fitness clubs

I have been working out regularly in various fitness clubs for several years now, and one thing that always impresses me are the high number of breathtakingly beautiful women at these clubs. (And, to think, I spent so many years staying in shape by running alone in cold or wet weather.) I don't know if this is just a U.S. thing, but workout clothing for women seems to be a fashion statement that includes just about everything except high heels. Woman who otherwise dress conservatively in their outside lives come to the fitness club in skintight workout suits, clingy shorts, low-cut tank tops, sports bras, etc. :smile: Can anyone share their perspective on why this is? Is it more comfortable to work out in skimpy clothes, is it an expression of one's femininity, or is it a conscious attempt to show off to men or other women? Or is it a combination of all three or something completely different? Whatever the reason, it certainly adds another dimension to exercising.

That's a simple one to answer. Many people who go to fitness clubs are posers who like showing off their bodies. Nothing wrong with that I hasten to add. I don't think it's anythign to to with being feminine or maculine. Loads of the men are equal poseures.

I have been working out regularly in various fitness clubs for several years now, and one thing that always impresses me are the high number of breathtakingly beautiful women at these clubs. (And, to think, I spent so many years staying in shape by running alone in cold or wet weather.) I don't know if this is just a U.S. thing, but workout clothing for women seems to be a fashion statement that includes just about everything except high heels. Woman who otherwise dress conservatively in their outside lives come to the fitness club in skintight workout suits, clingy shorts, low-cut tank tops, sports bras, etc. :smile:

Can anyone share their perspective on why this is? Is it more comfortable to work out in skimpy clothes, is it an expression of one's femininity, or is it a conscious attempt to show off to men or other women? Or is it a combination of all three or something completely different? Whatever the reason, it certainly adds another dimension to exercising.

It happens here too. But since the proportion men/women is 1/3 in the gym I go to, I guess they feel that they are in the majority and can dress as they like. There are defenitely some show-off types, but some normal girls dress quite expressively too. That's ok with me, but I got to say that I'm too busy doing my own things when I'm there, so that's not the reason I'm going there.

On the other hand, there are quite a lot of women in their 40s and 50s who are not too afraid of doing the same thing and wearing the same as the twens and 30 year olds, so there must indeed be something else too...

Bert

What's all the fuss about?

Showing off is the most straightforward explanation for wearing revealing workout clothes, but I thought we might hear from some who might say it's an expression of femininity, similar to what many of our regulars say about high heels. Doesn't look like anyone is offering that argument.