Moral relativism (was re: Political Correctness = Fascism)

As for the male high-heeled moral relativist - he's certifiable!

Nope. Been on Prozac a couple of times for depression, but my family doctor says I'm one of the sanest and most self-aware people he's met and my local consultant psychiatrist appears to be a long, long way from committing me. I call this a good thing, as I'm not a great fan of staying anywhere that the locks are on the outside of the rooms....

Fortunately, political and religious beliefs are not currently grounds for being sectioned in the UK - even if they are obviously delusional, as you seem to think mine are - unless I am a danger to myself or those around me. I'm glad of this; a representational democracy needs a good cross-section of beliefs to stay healthy. I happen to represent one extreme of a number of those beliefs :-).

I'd much rather be here, in a (relatively) healthy democracy, than in a totalitarian regime where my freedom to express my beliefs was more limited - say Nazi Germany, current North Korea, Iraq under Saddam Hussein (and, in fact, now) or 16th century England. What about you?

- Peter

I've now left HHPlace. Feel free to use the means listed in my profile if you wish to contact me.

Nope. Been on Prozac a couple of times for depression, but my family doctor says I'm one of the sanest and most self-aware people he's met and my local consultant psychiatrist appears to be a long, long way from committing me. I call this a good thing, as I'm not a great fan of staying anywhere that the locks are on the outside of the rooms....

Fortunately, political and religious beliefs are not currently grounds for being sectioned in the UK - even if they are obviously delusional, as you seem to think mine are - unless I am a danger to myself or those around me. I'm glad of this; a representational democracy needs a good cross-section of beliefs to stay healthy. I happen to represent one extreme of a number of those beliefs :-).

I'd much rather be here, in a (relatively) healthy democracy, than in a totalitarian regime where my freedom to express my beliefs was more limited - say Nazi Germany, current North Korea, Iraq under Saddam Hussein (and, in fact, now) or 16th century England. What about you?

- Peter

AHHhh- Prozac, I knew we'd eventually uncover the difficulty.

As for totalitarian regimes, yer absolutely right! It's been no joy living in one for the last 6 years. Of course, the biggest difference between the American version and those others that you mention is that here we "outsource" our human torture interrogations, but other than that it's pretty much the same.

So how's your regime doing? Are they still shooting suspected terrorists dead in the streets and holding inquirys later?

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

I'm afraid none of us live in a truly free society, in fact you cannot have freedom and society at the same time. In order to have a structured society you need to have rules and as soon as you start to have rules you no longer have freedoms. What actually defines the degree of "freedom" is the rules themselves and the way that they're policed or applied. Take smoking as an example, who deserves the freedom, the smokers' freedom to smoke or other peoples' right to live and to work in a smoke-free environment? Now to the policing, do we march smokers off to jail and throw away the key or do we just say "you're naughty, don't do it again!" That is how freedom is defined...

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

(ad hominem comment deleted)

So how's your regime doing? Are they still shooting suspected terrorists dead in the streets and holding inquirys later?

Yup. These days they're typically shot because they look Middle Eastern rather than because they look Irish, but it's still happening :-(.

I've now left HHPlace. Feel free to use the means listed in my profile if you wish to contact me.

Yup. These days they're typically shot because they look Middle Eastern rather than because they look Irish, but it's still happening :-(.

We don't get much of that kind of news over here, but I'll bet yer suntan salons are taking a financial nosedive. After all, moral relativism clearly calls for killing-off yer enemies before they kill you, right? So rather than the absolute rule of law, we can have "death squads" to gun you down in the streets just because you look like...(you fill-in the blank). Then they can get around to an official inquiry later (after they've all got through cleaning their guns), just to be sure that it was all proper and in order; and if it turns out that they made a mistake I'm sure they'll be kind enough to send a note of condolence to yer family. Ain't moral relativism in a totalitarian police state great?

I'll take the rule of law and absolutes like: "...shall not be deprived of life, liberty, or property without the due process of law...", any day! And anyone who doesn't want that is welcome to what you have.

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels