Tips To Wear High Heels...

Van

• 1 month later...

Any suggestions how to develop skills for driving in highheels? There has been some discussion about it. I think some countries prohibited wearing heels higher than seom standard (2 inches) for safety reasons :x

Posted Image

Have you ever considered the ability to hit the breaks strong and fast?

HH forever!

If you have good reflexes, the heelks don't matter. I am pretty good at driving in heels, and I'll try and relate a few things. One - place a towel under your feet. Two - rest your foot with the heel along the floor of the car. Three - use your ankle for the strength in pressing the peddles Four - save your leg strength for moving the foot to the brake as needed. I don't know if it makes any sense, but it's what I do, and I sem to be doing well enough so far. Oh, I think there is one last thing. Five - be alert, watch the road, leave extra following distance. If you have more room to stop, a half second delay in your hitting the brake won't matter because you've given yourself a full second of extra time to brake.

Vanessa, there are some good points there about walking in the shoes. I do think they need to include some information on how to shop for a pair that fits right. I do some pretty amazing things in heels (they'd be normal and overlooked in a pair of Reeboks, sure) and it's all because of the fit and the training. Still, it's an excellent bit of advice for beginners, but I don't know what plaster is in the reference. :smile:

After some thought, I wondered idly: Laurie, is your car manual (=stick shift) or automatic? I found clutch control the hardest part of driving in heels. As for hitting the brakes hard, I try to avoid that, whatever I'm driving in. It's always a good idea to leave plenty of space and drive more smoothly. As for resting feet, I tend to rest my left foot on the footrest next to the clutch, and my right foot along the heel on the floor. But that only works when I'm not on the M6 :smile:

Obsessed is such a strong word. I prefer to think of myself as "differently enthusiastic"

I drive an automatic, naturally. I tried to learn manual, or standard as they call it here, back in University. I stalled about ten times in a row and gave up. So I figure I need proper lessons to master it. Not just someone saying "do this, now that" and laughing every time I stall. :smile:

I think you just answered your own question. A teacher should not laugh and criticise one of their students. If you're learning to drive of course you'll stall a lot to begin with. Put in a bit of time concentrating on clutch/accelerator control under the guidance of a good, patient tutor and before you know it you'll be doing racing changes. Riding a bike is just the same, except you control everything with your hands instead of your feet. Learning to ease the clutch through the engaging point on a bike is no different to that on a car!

I drive an automatic, naturally. I tried to learn manual, or standard as they call it here, back in University. I stalled about ten times in a row and gave up. So I figure I need proper lessons to master it. Not just someone saying "do this, now that" and laughing every time I stall.

:grin:

Yeah, I did that too, when I started driving. Fortunately, I was about 14, and learning off the road, so it didn't matter. I've not driven an automatic much, so I've no idea how it compares. But I found clutch control hard in heels, especially platforms, as you need to feel what you're doing. Another reason to dislike platforms, I suppose :smile:

But Maryanne is right - if you're going to ride a bike, you're going to need to learn clutch control. I'm glad that when I tried learning to ride a bike, I'd already been driving for ten years, so I had clutch control learnt. (And no, I never finished learning to ride, and now I live somewhere too dangerous to learn again :grin: )

Obsessed is such a strong word. I prefer to think of myself as "differently enthusiastic"

I drive in stilleto boots all the time and, to be honest I think they are easier to drive in than my courts. I think the fact the ankles are less flexible is a bonus when driving in heels. Mind, it could be personal preference, what suits one person might not suit another. I'm not too keen on automatic cars myself, but as I've not driven many I can't say I'm qualified to judge or even that I'm used to it, so its either drive a manual for me or walk! Sue :smile:

I've been driving in knee high boots with blocj heel and it was uite comfortable except a little stiffnes in the ankle in mid calf boots with blade heel was VERY comfortable maybe because the heel was a bit outside the sole ?? Don't like much driving in short stilettos not so comfy !!

I asked my wife for her point of view on this topic as she often wears 3,4,5 and 6 inch heels while driving. She was quite amused that there was even a debate about it? "Yes you work your ankle slightly differently, but that is it.....adapt and move on, adapt and move on." was her reply. :smile:

I asked my wife for her point of view on this topic as she often wears 3,4,5 and 6 inch heels while driving. She was quite amused that there was even a debate about it?

"Yes you work your ankle slightly differently, but that is it.....adapt and move on, adapt and move on." was her reply. :smile:

Thats a good moto for wearing heels!!

Sue 13 :grin: