Schoolgirl skirts

Wolfgang

I want to buy a green plaid one. How can I wear it so that I don't look like I'm wearing a schoolgirl costume? The context: at work at a videogame store. I'm the only girl there so the outfit can't be too racy, and I'll be working with no shoes, or with flats since I have to be on my feet all day.

There is no way to avoid the association, especially since BSpears permanently made those skirts associated with her.

My suggestion would be to not try and pretend the association doesn't exist. Instead, acknowledge and twist it a bit. For example, wear green opaque legwear and green ballet pumps. A pale pink top would be a good match, perhaps a matching alice band for your hair.

These would be the shoes: http://www.frenchsole.com/collection/ballet-flats-stock.php?style_id=1

"To kiss, pretty Saki, thy shoes' pretty tips, is better than kissing another girl's lips." -Omar Khayyam

What are the colours in the skirt aside from green? If it has black, then the top you mention may work okay. White hose would need black ballets especially with a black top, and that would really play into the schoolgirl/Lolita stereotype you wish to avoid.

"To kiss, pretty Saki, thy shoes' pretty tips, is better than kissing another girl's lips." -Omar Khayyam

Shrimper, she said that she wanted to wear flat-heeled shoes. Those ballet pumps would be perfect. They are pretty and would be very comfortable. Wolfgang, I know I didn't mention it before, but what do you mean by "over the knee tights?" Do you mean capri-length leggings? If not, do you mean thigh-highs?

Shrimper, she said that she wanted to wear flat-heeled shoes. Those ballet pumps would be perfect. They are pretty and would be very comfortable.

Wolfgang, I know I didn't mention it before, but what do you mean by "over the knee tights?" Do you mean capri-length leggings? If not, do you mean thigh-highs?

Not over-the-knee that way, but I found tights some time ago that come just over the knee as opposed to being completely thigh-high. Those footless tights make my legs look horrible.

The skirt mostly has black in it, other than green, with just a few white stripes in it.

http://www.hottopic.com/hottopic/store/product.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302024103&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442149113&bmUID=1167059930451

it's from Hot Topic and, I'm apparently a lot shorter than the model because the skirt comes just above my knee. Perhaps, I could wear boots with it; not to work, but I have knee-high black moccasin boots and a pair of black mid-calf 2" wedges with furry trim.

Unfortunately I think that any form of over the knee tights / socks would be playing into the schoolgirl thing, especially white ones. Would some funky stripy socks work? If you could go for a colour like pink or purple with black stripes it'd look more punk than schoolgirl, especially if you have something like Converse All Stars. You might need to try them with the skirt to know if they'd look OK. All my clothes are black, so colour co-ordination isn't something I normally have to deal with! The polo shirt should be fine though, black goes with anything! Chris

Wolfgang, I think you ought to acknowledge the hijacking of that type of skirt by Spears and play a twist on the schoolgirl look. If you wear the green ballets/matching hose, it will present a clean line. The pink top and alice band will give it a sort or neo-1980s look. Whatever you do, don't wear the white kneesocks, as that WILL play into the schoolgirl look you don't want.

Unfortunately I think that any form of over the knee tights / socks would be playing into the schoolgirl thing, especially white ones. Would some funky stripy socks work? If you could go for a colour like pink or purple with black stripes it'd look more punk than schoolgirl, especially if you have something like Converse All Stars. You might need to try them with the skirt to know if they'd look OK. All my clothes are black, so colour co-ordination isn't something I normally have to deal with!

The polo shirt should be fine though, black goes with anything!

Chris

Bleh! Striped tights are horrible. The only people who can really pull that look off are cybergoths who go completely into the style, anything less looks tacky. I can't even attempt to pull off that kind of cybergoth look.

I've decided against wearing it to work [spend too much time climbing ladders XD], though I'm definitely getting the skirt when it goes on sale, so that might let me do more with it. How about that, any ideas?

Well, if you are NOT going to be wearing it to work, then the first thought would be a St. Trinians look. That would play into the sexy schoolgirl look you say you don't want. I still say have the monochrome hose and ballets. That would give it a sort of 1980s look. Anything else would have either the schoolgirl or cybergoth look you say you don't want. Perhaps you want to wear an oversized denim jacket with the sleeves pushed up, a striped tee, net stockings and Chuck Taylors?

Shrimper, she said that she wanted to wear flat-heeled shoes. Those ballet pumps would be perfect. They are pretty and would be very comfortable.

Wolfgang, I know I didn't mention it before, but what do you mean by "over the knee tights?" Do you mean capri-length leggings? If not, do you mean thigh-highs?

You're right Dandy, she did say that. I am suggesting that she might be able to find some comfortable wedges or heeled loafers.

Hope I didn't offend anybody by thinking outside the box again.

You're right Dandy, she did say that. I am suggesting that she might be able to find some comfortable wedges or heeled loafers.

Hope I didn't offend anybody by thinking outside the box again.

No heels :rocker:

That's why I didn't post this in a heel-related part of the forum.

I've given up on wearing heels myself, but I love it when men do.

Okay, I'll leave you two lovebirds alone. You two decide what "Wolfie" is going to wear. I still say the matching legwear and ballets, but that's just me.

No heels :wink:

That's why I didn't post this in a heel-related part of the forum.

I've given up on wearing heels myself, but I love it when men do.

OOOOKKAAAYYY! Flats it is. There's thousands of variations on the ballet flat and on flat mocassins or loafers. Find a grouping of materials and colors you like and go for it. My suggestion would be monochrome top and hosiery and cloth or metallic patterned ballet flats.

Bleh! Striped tights are horrible. The only people who can really pull that look off are cybergoths who go completely into the style, anything less looks tacky.

I did say socks rather than tights, but hey. Good job I'm not a girl, I obviously have no taste! :wink:

Chris