New here, a couple of dumb questions

seattleshoes

I've been collecting heels for a couple of years and wear them around the house. Just love the lift on the shoes that I have. Unfortunately, the shoes that I have simply can't be worn outside. I'm looking for a source of either a men's shoe with a wedge heel of at least 2" or more, or a women's shoe that is basically the same thing. What I'm trying to avoid is the open space that exists in most heels and which I feel tends to draw attention to something that I don't want to have attention drawn to. Has anyone seen these type of shoes and do they know where I can find them?

Hi Seattleshoes, and welcome to our forum. First of all, you will probably want to change styles from time to time, so one important quest you need to address is how much you are willing to pay for shoes. On the low-end of the budget (where I am) there are 1] thrift stores and consignment shops, 2] Payless, 3] Wallmart, 4] K-Mart, and 5] Target. But you can also find some really nice shoes at decent prices in some of the more up-scale stores, particularly if you shop at the end of the season when they are clearing out their old stock to make room for new. Also, it helps if you have a small foot for a man, but around a lady's size 10 (as I do) so that you can access the regular stock that just doesn't move so well. On the other hand, if money is no object, the world is yer oyster. I'd start at 9 West and make a few stops at Bloomies, Saks, and Bon Marche'. Boots are definitely all the rage this season, and I am sure you can find something that suits your fancy at some of those places.

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

Yeah........ Practice, practice, practice. I've been wearing high heels since I was 5 years old. Am now 31. Oh, and born originally a boy. Go figure. Some boys wanted played with GI Joe, I played with a pair or 4 inch pumps. and makeup Melyssa

Thanks for the help. One other question - I've been looking online for a guide to walking in heels, but Google has been failing me. Any tips/tricks/guides that you'd care to pass along?

How is Google failing you? I searched HOW TO WALK HIGH HEELS and on the first page of nearly 2.5 million results found:

http://www.ehow.com/how_16007_walk-high-heels.html

http://shoes.about.com/od/fashionfootwear/ht/walk_high_heels.htm

http://www.nu-highheels.com/walking.html

http://www.guardian.co.uk/style/story/0,,1586973,00.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A3724977

To sum it up:

1. start with a modest heel, maybe 3 inches

2. choose shoes that give some support such as boots or oxfords

3. take short steps at first

4. don't listen to people that say you put your toes down first

5. practice, practice, practice

My mistake on the googling. I had seen some of those before, but I wasn't sure if I was doing it correctly. I have a pair of 6" platforms (2" platform, so effectively a 4" rise) that I wear on a regular basis, but I find myself bending my knees in order to stay upright, but from what I gather, that's not right either. Should I aim for a straight line from my ankle to my hip?

Thanks for the help. One other question - I've been looking online for a guide to walking in heels, but Google has been failing me. Any tips/tricks/guides that you'd care to pass along?

This question has been thrashed-out, beaten, and pummeled right here on this forum many times. I think the latest effort was in response to Shaq91 who had a similar question.

The general rule of thumb is to start with low heels - around 3" - and walk in them until you can do everything you need to do, including climbing up and down stairs, without thinking about yer feet or yer shoes. (I would suggest you go with wedgies.) Then you need to increase the height of the heels slowly in 1/4 to 1/2 inch increments and learn how to walk in the higher heels just like before. Starting out with 4 or 5 inch heels is just about guaranteed to get you to visiting yer doctor or yer hospital.

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

To sum it up:

1. start with a modest heel, maybe 3 inches

2. choose shoes that give some support such as boots or oxfords

3. take short steps at first

4. don't listen to people that say you put your toes down first

5. practice, practice, practice

I think I might have answered my own question on this. In addition to the helpful suggestions, I just realized that I have a couple of things to add:

1. When standing, get used to keeping your legs straight. You don't have to lock your knees, but you'll be pretty close. This will have the effect of shoving your butt out a little.

2. Stand at a sink and wash dishes. Sounds stupid, but if you keep in mind point number one, you'll be forced to bend at the waist and keep that butt pushed out.

3. When walking, your knees do the opposite of what you do when wearing flats. In flats, as you complete the step (your foot is behind your body), you roll your foot forward from heel to toe, and your knee bends forward. In heels, concentrate on a) moving your knee backwards, and :rocker: picking your foot straight up.

4. In order to accomplish all of this, small steps are necessary, although you can extend your stride a little as you become more adept.

Thanks for all the help!