Dancing in the Streets

Magickman

As Martha Reeves sang: "Callin' out around the world Are you ready for a brand new beat? Summer's here and the time is right For dancin' in the streets" But summer is gone, and this is fall festival time. Over the weekend, it was dancing in the streets on Saturday night. Taco Daze was in full swing, in Scandia, Minnesota. Not just one, but two outdoor music parties at the watering holes in Scandia. Boogie Wonderland was at Meisters, but not in good voice, and the PA system was about useless. The crowd was really drunk, and people kept bumping into me. Then I met my landscaper's son, and his wife, who said there was a better event down at the new place in Scandia, "Prospects," with a great band. Headed down there, and before I arrived the gals were stopping me to admire my boots. "Cute boots. Where'd you get those boots?, etc." I was wearing my Hoochie Boots, the knee high, lace up, black leather stilettos, with my new Mossimo, black, skinny leg jeans and a black denim shirt. The jeans were tucked in, so the entire boots were visible. At Prospects they had a fancy fold-out stage, mounted in a semi-trailer. Chase Robert's band was the entertainment, and they were very good. It was an asphalt dance floor, but the crowd was getting into the music. Hillbilly music, was what it was, down and dirty, with a puissant bass line. Chase is nothing, if not a talented stage presence, and he growled out the lyrics. Backup was a tight five piece combo. They had a killer PA, too. I found my inebriated friend and his wife. He could barely stand up, so I danced with his wife, Marti. I spun Marti like a top, and twirled her at a high rate. Somewhat surprisingly, she didn't topple over. This was a pretty rednecked crowd, to say the least. And then... the Blond Bus Babes (BBB) arrived. I think they were the cast and crew from a bachelorette party, riding in a school bus, and also feeling no pain. They snake danced across the parking lot. It was quite a scene. At the end, I escaped just before closing, to beat the drunks out of the parking area. And that was my Saturday night.

• 2 weeks later...