Internet Toll

The net neutrality debate moves to the Senate this week.

You can contact the members of the Senate Commerce Committee via their main switchboard toll free at: 1-888-355-3588.

From this list you can find out which Senators Support or Oppose Net Neutrality.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/net-neutrality.php

Feminine Style .  Masculine Soul.  Skin In The Game.

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

...Not that I would put it past Uncle Sam in his utter arrogance to try to tax the Internet. But I wonder how effective this would be in a technical sense... The Internet is a worldwide phenomenon now and this board is a shining testament to that fact. Uncle Sam, as arrogant and greedy as he is, has absolutely no jurisdiction outside the borders of the United States.

So with this theoretical Internet tax, how does Uncle determine which packets are entirely domestic (and therefore taxable), which packets are entirely foreign (and off limits) and which packets come from a foreign server to a domestic server or vice-versa (and may be partially taxable)?

The other option is to tax Internet access, like phone access. And I wouldn't put it past 'em to try that either. I understand that a phone tax dating back to the invention of the telephone network (1800's) was finally eliminated last week. These things take a long time to die.

Since government has nothing of it's own to draw upon or offer, it must obtain it's revenues from some other source - i.e. the PEOPLE. Therefore, if it is in any way regulatable then it is taxable, and you can bet every last pair of shoes you own that the politicians will figure out a way to tax it! :roll: My guess is that the jerks will figure out a way to tax the access, rather than the -net itself. :x :argue:

By the way, the US first imposed a telephone tax to pay for the Spainish American War. Since nobody in his right mind would get away with calling it a Spainish-American War tax, they will just come up with some clever way to rename it. :wink: Taxes have a way of taking on a life of their own. :oops::oops:

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

• 1 month later...

Here's an idea that will eliminate billions of dollars of waste: Tax everyone on a constant percentage basis with a deductable floor that's dependant upon your marital and child situation. It's real easy, folks, and would allow you to complete your taxes in seconds instead of hours. Gross Income: $50,000 Less Floor (1 couple, separated, with 1 child): $13,800 Taxable Income: $36,200 Tax Rate (same for everyone): 10% Tax: $3,620 Tax Paid: $3,000 Tax owed: $620 DUH! Which morons in the governmen are making it so dammed difficult???

Dr1819:-)

But, the Government doesn't want to elliminate waste. They couldn't stuff their pockets that way.

Cheers---

Dawn HH

Dawn,

You got that right. A child protection law as just recently signed. It was started and pushed very hard by John Walsh who had his son taken and murdered. He was on a radio show here talking about why it took so long to get this VERY logical law pushed through. The problem was people kept adding riders onto the bill. Why? They see it as easy money. If they can attach it to something that is a slam dunk then they can get lots of extra money. Fortunately, it got stopped and the bill got through with little or no "extras" added on (according to John Walsh).

Scotty

My theory is that accountants and lawyers take care of one another. Most legislators are lawyers, and they pass laws that keep the accountants employed. As a result, accountants give lawyers (some of their best customers) regular breaks. The rest of us, however, pay both lawyers and accountants through the nose.

• 4 months later...

My theory is that accountants and lawyers take care of one another. Most legislators are lawyers, and they pass laws that keep the accountants employed. As a result, accountants give lawyers (some of their best customers) regular breaks.

The rest of us, however, pay both lawyers and accountants through the nose.

Corrallary: Those who master accounting/finances and become well versed with the laws in their community will generally avoid being bled by either accountants or lawyers.