Skating vs stiletto wearing

raccoon

Hi,

I bought my first pair of heels yesterday. (See this thread.) I've never worn any heels before, but in the shop I found out I had little trouble balanceing in 4" stilettos. Being an experienced speedskater, I'm used to balanceing in high Norwegian skates. But the difference is in the stretched ankle.

Does it make sense this is any help? I can't imagine it involves the same muscles, although the skill is the same.

Similar experiences, anyone?

Hi,

I bought my first pair of heels yesterday. (See this thread.) I've never worn any heels before, but in the shop I found out I had little trouble balanceing in 4" stilettos. Being an experienced speedskater, I'm used to balanceing in high Norwegian skates. But the difference is in the stretched ankle.

Does it make sense this is any help? I can't imagine it involves the same muscles, although the skill is the same.

Similar experiences, anyone?

My balance on hockey skates seems to be improving but not sure if it's the heels or more ice time. Either way, your supposition sounds good. Wearing heels improves skating abiliy. :-)

Never did try hockey, nor ice skating.. and my inline speed skates are a bit neglected. I did have a good run at aggressive inline skating, and do not seem to have many problems balancing in Ballet heels. Try hitting a few rails, or bending your foot on its side while grinding a curb :) Realistically though, the experience of having to stay 100% stable in a very unstable position probably has helped out with my ability to walk in heels. Now I just need to work on the front/back flexibility so I can take 'normal' steps for longer distances. Have fun Jim

(formerly known as "JimC")