Windows XP SP2

Microsoft published 10 software security advisories advising of 22 new security flaws--and almost half of which are rated critical.

It never ends does it?

Jeff

Nor will it until Microsoft changes its design philosophy! Their thinking to date was to make an OS that's "wide open," which provides the maximum functionality with minimum configuration. And indeed, you can load Windows XP out of the box on a blanck system physically connected to the Internet, and in less than an hour, you're up and running.

The problem is, if you do that without any additional protection, you'll soon become a host for illegal file-sharing hackers, usually within the second hour.

And you'll never know it.

It doesn't have to be this way. Microsoft could instead install the OS with everything off, then turn on only that which is required to perform whatever function the user needs - and often only when the user needs it - keeping the rest of the system buttoned down tight. This still doesn't stop malicious code that's running under a user's logon, however, as that code has the same privalages as the user themselves. There are ways to fix this, too, but they can be cumbersome for the user.

All in all, it's just the world we live in.

You're right about the hackers Gene. After I installed McAfee internet security suite (yes I know some people dont like McAfee) I was amazed at the number of attacks I received in such a short period of time. Seol seems to be the hacker capitol of the world, about 80% come from there. Jeff

• 2 weeks later...

One thing I noticed straight away is that the email from ZDnet doesnt show any pictures now.Jeff

If you are running Outlook Express, you need to go to: Tools, Options, Security tab and uncheck 'Block images and other external content in HTML e-mail.'