Windows XP SP2

So far I've noticed that Internet Explorer doesn't freeze as often. There is still the problem of many IE-related processes still running even after all IE windows have been killed. Sometimes when you shutdown the machine, you have to stand by to kill these processes. Otherwise you can return days later to find the machine still running.

Michael

We never recommend major upgrades, including (especially!) service packs until they're widely implemented and the myriad of bug reports surface. There are other ways to secure a network! Once the first few SP2 hotfixes come out and begin trickling off, we'll test, then implement.

Well I have gone ahead and downloaded and installed it. Results Took 28 hours and 12 minutes by 56K modem just to down load then time to install. Effects One thing I noticed straight away is that the email from ZDnet doesnt show any pictures now. Thankfully this forum is uneffected. If I see any more I will post it here. Jeff

I'm still dealing with Win2KSP4. With me it's all a matter of trust--unless I can get hold of a corporate edition of XP-Pro, I don't even want to mess with it. Why Bother??

"All that you can decide, is what to do with the time that is given you."--Gandalf,

"Life is not tried, it is merely survived

-If you're standing outside the fire."--Garth Brooks

I'm sticking with Win 98. It does me alright and the new viruses don't seem to be aimed at it. Windows is a nice idea if they ever get it to work properly!

"You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave ! " The Eagles, "Hotel California"

i currently got win2k up to sp4 an all is well, i`m not going to bother with xp far too much hassle!. just stick with the earlier version of windows, the new version are to clever for there own good the latest sp for xp being an example of being to clever. later nhoj62

the higher the boot, the higher the heel, the better the feeling!

The only thing that might make me bow to the wishes of Microsoft is to enable me to run Premiere CS, e.g. 7.0, which is vastly superior to Premiere 6.5, almost on a par with Apple's MAC-only Final Cut Pro 3 (although I doubt it can compete with FC Pro 4), as Premiere 7.0 will not install if it detects Win2K instead of WinXP. Anyone know a workaround, or a hack, for this Adobe LUNACY? Of course, another solution is to get a second computer with XP on it... :D Oh BTW, knowlegeable sources say that Microsoft has put IE 7 on the fast track for release--seems they have finally figured out that they are losing market share to Mozilla/Firefox/Opera.

"All that you can decide, is what to do with the time that is given you."--Gandalf,

"Life is not tried, it is merely survived

-If you're standing outside the fire."--Garth Brooks

Hi. I've got Firefox at work and it's OK, but despite my name, I'm still happy with Internet Explorer. Of course, all the "experts" tell me how many security holes it has, and how often it crashes, and what a pile of wank it is, but having tried IE and the opposition, I find their comments complelety wide of the mark vis a vis my personal experience.

I'm sticking with Win 98. It does me alright and the new viruses don't seem to be aimed at it. Windows is a nice idea if they ever get it to work properly!

It does work properly.. its called windows XP professional...

I get all the "partner releases" direct from microsoft and have to say that if you know what your doing its very easy to have a perfectly super stable PC..

current uptime on my desktop pc is 10 months and counting... (had to shut it down to install ATI 256 AGP Card for my 19" F419 TFT screen.

Most people who have problems or whinge about windows normally do so because they have misconfigured there system or have incompatabilities in there hardware...

just my 2 pennies worth as repeated previously.

Just a little fed up with hearing people slate off microsoft 24/7

Heels for Men // Legwear Fashion // HHPlace Guidelines

If something doesn't look right, please report the content ASAP!

Most people who have problems or whinge about windows normally do so because they have misconfigured there system or have incompatabilities in there hardware...

How true, how true!!!

I totally agree with Richie on this issue.

You have to know what you are doing. Pure and simple.

I have been running Microsoft Windows XP Professional for quite some time now and I have had no problems (while keeping my fingers crossed and knocking on wood :D ).

I think that Microsoft Windows XP Professional is probably the best and most stable operating system that Microsoft has produced to date.

Richi I agree with what you are saying to some extent. I have gone from windows 3.1 to 95 to 98b to 2000 pro to XP pro. When I first saw XP in operation at a friends place I didnt think much of it but now I think it is great. However MS aparently warn that some software may not work after installing SP2 on XP. I am now wondering if that is a problem I have. I recently bought a Pioneer DVD burner model 107d with Sonic software and have had troubles trying to use Backup MyPC. I contacted Sonic and they said all I have to do is remove the Sonic software using Add/Remove feature of windows then reinstall it. It wouldnt remove using that feature of windows, so I used an uninstaller and now I am told I cannot run the program because it is not installed but when I try to re-install it I am told it is already installed. At the moment and until I find out different I am blaming the SP2 upgrade. And of course I cant restore from the backup copy I made prior to the SP2 because Backup MyPC doesnt work. So folks my experiences tells me leave the upgrade for a while which is just what Gene said we should do. Jeff edited the SP1 entries to read SP2

W2k+SP4 is a fine and stable platform. But Win 98 and Win ME users are unbelievably wide-open to attack and third-party use. It's estimated that 63% of all non-NT kernal Windows users (Windows NT 3.51, 4.0, 2000, and XP) users who have always on Internet access (cable modem / xDSL) are currently being used by hackers to launch attacks and serve software/movies/songs to others. By comparison, less than 20% of the Windows NT-kernal users are being used this way. Less than 3% of those who've installed a personal firewall... And for those who're using a properly-configured Linksys router/firewall: 0%

I haven't installed SP2 for XP yet, but in no hurry to do so - like has been said, I wait until some hotfixes have been released, and then do it all at once. I'm running corp XP-Pro, so so far so good. If I do any further system upgrades, it'll be after I get a larger hard-drive and can do a dual-boot with XP Pro and SuSE Linux 9.1 - that'll be SWEET! :D

SQ.....still busting societal molds with a smile...and a 50-ton sledge!

The results from the field indicate that bugs/problems with WinXP SP2 are far, far lower than what was expected. It appears the additional security and programming personnel Microsoft hired did their homework! As a result, I installed XP SP 2, and ran it through it's paces on our test network. Despite a rather complicated setup involving multiple domains, active directories, mismatches networks, different operating systems, several intranet and extranet firewalls, and a network "stress tester" that loads the network at 40% (far above average) with peaks of up to 85%, I've yet to find anything wrong it. I've loaded the eighth machine, and counting... Plus the application and interoperability testing (file sharing/printing over the network, how well esoteric options on known apps work, etc.). - Gene' For once, I think Microsoft got it right!

I've been running XP Pro for a while, and I'm pretty impressed by it. IMO it's the best version of Windows to date, although the hardware requirements are pretty steep. I'm in no particular hurry to install SP2 though as "it ain't broke". Azraelle, IMO I wouldn't bother upgrading to XP from W2K unless you want to or if you specifically need XP. Apart from XP's improved gui, which you can make all grey and square if you like, and a few bells and whistles, there's not that much difference between the two in terms of performance and stability. W2K has less demanding hardware requirements, but on my 1ghz Athlon I noticed no difference in speed between the two. Linux on the other hand... now that's fast! Chris

Just installed SP2 here, no major problems with installation or running, just annoying popups telling me this that or the other isn't secure enough (ie it isn't blocking everything outside Micro$oft control). Also installed Mozilla a few days ago, due to the reports of IE's vulnerabilities and failings, and Mozilla crashed several times in the first hour or so, so is due for uninstalling.

He was so narrow minded he could see through a keyhole with both eyes.

Brown's Law: If the shoe fits, it's ugly

hmmmm! I installed Mozella Firefox 0.9 several months ago and installed xp S2 three or four weeks ago. No problem running Mozella with it. Also, I haven't had a problem with Netscape or MyIE2, either. The only browser I've had pop up problems with is Explorer and i've cured those by not giving permission for Explorer to access the Internet.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

AM waiting Gene to hear what you have to say. My problem I have found out is that the Sonic software "Backup MyPC" is on the add/remove list until I install SP2 then it disappears off the list. I can still see the files but I cannot remove it using the add/remove feature. And I cant reinstall it because it wont let me. MS do say that some software will not work after installing SP2. I guess I have one of them at least. It seems though that it may work after reinstalling after installing SP2. Jeff

Haven't had any problems with software, although Microsoft does admit there are some problems. My major problem appeared after I tried using system restore to go back to the point immediately prior to installing SP2. It wouldn't let me! Then all sorts of websites, like CNN, Yahoo!, Alta Vista, and others are no longer showing. I'll get the first couple of lines, then nothing but a "done" message at the bottom. Symantec's site comes up, but clicking on any of the links results in an empty white screen. I'll have to try some things (like accessing using a non-SP2 computer) and see if that's really the problem...

I turned off SP 2's firewall, still nothing.

I rebooted, and that seems to have cleared the problem.

Then, when I accessed CNN, I found the following news: http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/ptech/09/06/windowsupdate.ap/index.html

Go figure...

For those of you considering upgrading to SP2, I recommend the following:

Back up your critical files. My preferred method is using a second hard drive and a free backup program like Cobian Backup, available on www.CNET.com

Download, install, and use Adaware, first getting the latest updates using the built-in update feature: http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/

Uninstall Adaware.

Download, install, and use Spybot, first getting the latest updates using the built-in update feature: http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html

Leave Spybot installed.

If you don't have an antivirus program, get one! I recommend Norton Antivirus, available online from www.symantec.com.

Conduct a complete system scan.

Reboot your computer.

Download and install Service Pak 2 by opening Internet Explorer, choosing Help, Online Support, then clicking on Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2).

Follow the instructions and use the default settings. If it asks you about Norton Antivirus, choose the option for it not to ask any more - Norton is working fine.

• 1 month later...

Hmmm! I wonder if my problem is related? More to the point, any ideas to solve would be very welcome. I run XP Pro with (I think) all updates inc SP2. Before going broadband 3 weeks ago, I had no real problems with Internet Explorer but now find that I cannot view any of my internet history offline, nor see favourites or homepage offline (although all pages are listed correctly in history etc). As far as I can tell, no critical settings are wrong but I may have upset something. I have McAfee, Spybot and Ad-aware installed. I can only conclude that a combination of broadband + recent updates + ancillary progs have combined to prevent me from working offline. (Yes, it does matter; my broadband usage is subject to a quota and in any case it is quicker/easier to view history offline than to reload.) Maybe a different browser would be better - I hear good things about the Firefox package. I'm about to instal a simple wireless network to enable other PCs in house to access internet, if this makes a difference. Any views, anyone?

After having major performance problems the first time around from installing SP2. I wiped out the OS and reinstalled XP, Verizon MSN Perineum, installed my anti virus, firewall and updated them. After that I down loaded the Windows updates, with the exception of SP2 at this point my computer was running much slower after I rebooted. Now with the minimal amount of programs I down loaded Ad awear, and Spybot. Guess what.... I removed 4 spy wear programs!!! Where the F@#k did they come form? Take a guess here people we might come to the same conclusion. After I removed them, every thing was running great. Oh yeah I forgot to mention the only reasoned that I loaded MSN Perineum is that I got the Macfee anti virus, fire wall for free from my ISP, Verizon.... Also for those who have the Macafee fire wall installed before downloading SP2, did you notice that it's no longer there, it's integrated into Internet Explorer....Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm. This is not good.

Hello, :wave: my name is Hoverfly. I’m a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!  👠1998 to 2022!

Hoverfly I did some thing similar to you. I reinstalled windows XP then installed all the updates including SP2, then reinstalled all my software and every thing works great including "Backup my PC" that caused me the problem in the first place. On my limited experience I would recommend to all to install SP2 then reinstall all software again to make sure it works the way it should. I also installed McAfee Internet Security and have no problems with it. This morning though I have received an email from Zdnet. Top article is Microsoft published 10 software security advisories advising of 22 new security flaws--and almost half of which are rated critical. It never ends does it? Jeff