Measuring Heel Height

Nova

Okay, I'd like to clear this up because I'm getting mixed signals. I've read before that heel height is correctly measured by measuring down the center of the heel when viewing the shoe from the side. It's the imaginary line formed by the middle of the heel shaft, ending where it intersects the sole. However, based on some people's quoted measurements for heel heights, it seems they are measuring straight up the back edge of the heel, which would give you a larger number, by about an inch. Actual heel height is also dependent on the shoe size, but I know there's a certain size that manufacturers base their measurement on. I have a pair of heels that were described as 6 inch heels by the online shop, and this is correct if you measure down the center of the shaft. If you measure down the back edge of the heel, you could call them 7 inch heels. Either way I can't walk in them, but that's beside the point. Can someone clear this up once and for all? Jen

If all the world's a stage, I want to operate the trap door.

Hi Jennifer. I wish I could clear this up for you. Unfortunately, I'm afraid that there is no one single set standard for measuring heel heights. I do recall that back in the 50's - 60's heel heights were measured (in the industry) at the front of the heel shank. The results were measured to the nearest 1/8", and were stated in 1/8" increments. So, a "23" would translate to a heel that was 23/8", or 2 7/8" tall at the front of the shank. This same heel would then measure approximatley 4" at the back of the heel. Paradoxically, on a small size shoe, a "23" would have a steeper rise than would a "23" on a larger size shoe, which would result in the smaller shoe ending up with an even higher heel (measured at the back of the heel) than would the smaller shoe. As the years have passed, heel heights have been measured at the front of the heel, center of the heel as you described, and up the back of the heel at its highest point. For most of us consumers, the most meaningful measurement is when measured at the back of the heel. It is also more accurate than measureing up the center, as when you attempt measuring up the center, you can easily vary 1/4" because you don't know exactly where "center" is. :roll: At least when measuring up the back, you know where the ends are. Whenever you want to be perfectly clear about heel measurements, it's always acceptable to state that the height was measured at the front, center, or back, as your preference. And of course it's acceptable to inquire the same as to where the measurement was taken. I know this does not answer your question, but I'm afraid that not everyone is on the same page as far as the measuring thing goes at this time in history. I do wish you well, and hope you are enjoying your new 6" or 7" heels!

Women who wear heels are to be admired and appreciated for the feminine visage they create.

• 5 weeks later...

No doubt Dr. Shoe will put us straight on this. In the meantime, my understanding is that in Europe, the heel is measured down the very back, but some people run the ruler down the back surface of the actual heel, whilst others measure straight down vertically to the floor (a very slightly shorter distance). In some other parts of the world (including the US?), they measure, as you say, down the middle side-view of the heel, or even the front (leading) surface of the heel. To my mind, both of the methods can be wildly confusing because the will both vary greatly according to how deep the heel is from front to back, giving varying lifts to the foot for say a 4" heel. Personally, I think the way(s) described in my upper sentence are much better and more consistent, and I get the feeling, looking at the net etc. that this method is gaining ground throughout the world. Cheerfully yours, Heelfan

Onwards and upwards!