Trend setting not for the faint of heart

jf

For at least 2 years now, and several forums. I’ve trying to gather consensus on whether some of the popular shoe and sandal manufacturers like Roxy, LEI, Old Navy and Volatile should experiment with making a platform thong sandal for guys? I have received various comments none of which have really been negative, but nothing really positive. I even spoke to some of the marketing people at Volatile about how they go about assessing the viability of starting and or continuing a particular trend. Like the current one amongst female sandal wearers for the popular platform thong sandal. The problem is men unlike women are somewhat reluctant to either adopt a radically new style or change from an old established one. Then there is the issue of associating the thicker sole with femininity let long a platform heel. Next there the issue with the fact that men are naturally taller, so what’s the need for the extra sole or heel height? Last but not least larger sizes! Platform thong sandals and large feet don’t equal acceptance, so they say. All this amounts to is whether a shoe manufacturer perceives there is enough market strength and acceptance out there to warrant gearing up to make, market and distribute the product? I’ve notice that some of the guys here have purchased platform thong sandals and actually worn them, although not in public. From their comments all have found them to be very comfortable and easy to walk in once they are past the initial height, and feel break in period. Being a wearer of such foot wear myself and owning several aforementioned popular brands. I would like to offer the following challenge and suggestions to any prospective platform thong sandal wearers out there to help start a trend. 1) There is safety in numbers the more guys who try them the more acceptable it is. 2) Since no manufacturer I know is supplying men’s sizes we’re limited to women’s sizes 10, 11, and 12 (men’s sizes 9, 10 , and 11). 3) Start with sole thickness no more than 2”, get comfortable with that in public. The go with platforms after you have gained some sense of confidence. 4) If your wearing platform thong sandals try wearing long wide leg pants to conceal the heel making your public stress and appearance less obvious. 5) Remember the higher and more radical the look the more obvious so choose your style wisely based on your age, look, physical dimensions, clothing style and public setting. 6) Practice wearing and walking in them at home first, and if they hurt don’t do it. Nothing is worst than trying to buck the social trend and not enjoy doing it. Besides others will see your discomfort. 7) Enjoy yourself and get out there. I hope to see you out in public someday soon.

I don't generally like sandals on men because most men have thick nails and don't shave their toes. I cannot immediately think of any man I know who has feet that could pass for a woman's. That being said, on a trip to Hawaii about 25 years ago I saw a lot of people (men and women) wearing a rubber thong which had a bottom that was uniformly 1 to 2 inches thick. Some women's thongs rose slightly toward the heel to 3 or even 4 inches to form a sort of wedge. I remember seeing perhaps 2 or 3 men wearing the lower (3 inch) wedge thongs. I had the impression that these thongs were unisex instead of being differentiated into men's and women's styles (Hawaii is not a good place for men to wear women's shoes).

Michael

I don't generally like sandals on men because most men have thick nails and don't shave their toes. I cannot immediately think of any man I know who has feet that could pass for a woman's.

That being said, on a trip to Hawaii about 25 years ago I saw a lot of people (men and women) wearing a rubber thong which had a bottom that was uniformly 1 to 2 inches thick. Some women's thongs rose slightly toward the heel to 3 or even 4 inches to form a sort of wedge. I remember seeing perhaps 2 or 3 men wearing the lower (3 inch) wedge thongs. I had the impression that these thongs were unisex instead of being differentiated into men's and women's styles (Hawaii is not a good place for men to wear women's shoes).

You are correct in your Hawaii observations. The market and trend research I’ve done basically indicates that styles like this are cyclical in nature. The 2” and 3” wedge thong sandals, and bamboo platform thongs were worn by both men and women in the early 70’s up through the mid 80’s and early 90’s. They were considered unisex. Hopefully things will change again. On your other comment. Hygiene, personal care and appearance plays a big part in all of this. I hope that any guy who is interested in wearing this style of footwear would have the objective common sense to look at himself and say, “am I just pushing the envelope, or am I over the top?” Obviously this style does not work for everyone, not even every women to which some of them could benefit from a little pedicure. Need I say more?

I remember the bamboo thongs too. I think they were referred to locally as "hot dog strap" because the straps were round in cross section and about 1 inch in diameter resembling a sausage. The insole was made from "goza" tatami matting which I believe is woven from grass although tatami is also made from bamboo. In Hawaii tatami are commonly used as picnic mats and floor coverings.

You are correct in your Hawaii observations. The market and trend research I’ve done basically indicates that styles like this are cyclical in nature. The 2” and 3” wedge thong sandals, and bamboo platform thongs were worn by both men and women in the early 70’s up through the mid 80’s and early 90’s. They were considered unisex. Hopefully things will change again. On your other comment. Hygiene, personal care and appearance plays a big part in all of this. I hope that any guy who is interested in wearing this style of footwear would have the objective common sense to look at himself and say, “am I just pushing the envelope, or am I over the top?” Obviously this style does not work for everyone, not even every women to which some of them could benefit from a little pedicure. Need I say more?

Michael

You're correct, Heelfan. This site is for high heel devotees -- but for some of us just the fact that we are wearing womans shoes is second to wearing heels, especially in public. :(

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

I personally don't care for sandals on men, whether they are "men's" or "women's" sandals. However I find that the subject of platform thongs is interesting because it is a sneaky way for a man to wear something elevated.

Michael