Finding size 12W or 13; or do you buy smaller & stretch?

b2please

I'm sort of combining two questions here, and I'm sure there must be other threads about this but I couldn't figure out how to search the entire guys forum. 1. WHERE are your favorite spots to look for 12W or 13 womens heels? I'm seeing SO many cool styles, urban outfitters, Kohls, Macy's where they normally only cary to 10, and maybe add 11 as a PLUS size. So 12W seems rare and 13 rarer. I did buy a 12n boot at DSW and tried the "freezing water in zip lock bag" trick to stretch it, and it worked! I'd say 1/2 size increase. But some water leaked and caused one boot's inner side to get these wrinkle marks (during the drying phase). This leads into my other question. 2. If I wear a 12W or 13, how small do people go and expect to stretch out the boot to fit? Would you only go smaller if you try it on and it fits ok, or is very very close? Or will you buy one size down routinely and do some stretching stuff? Or is buying down a really bad idea, as it will never really fit right?

Avenue (women shoes and closing, large sizes) have very nice selection. Almost all new models go to 13W. At the end of the season only a few are left. You can also check them in the internet. There sizing tend to be a little larger then the others.

b2please,

Do you have an exotic boutique in your area that sells high heels? Ellie and Pleaser brand shoes come in larger sizes. I own several pair of ellie that are size 12 (depending on the shoe I can wear an 11 or 12) and a couple of pair of pleasers that are also size 12.

Payless and Avenue are probably the best (only) chain shoe stores that regularly carry 12's & 13's. Avenue has a much smaller section, but as mentioned, almost all their shoes are probably available up to 13, if not 13W. Payless used to be, perhaps very good, at 12 & even 13 availability. They still sell those sizes now, but the selection isn't nearly as good. I haven't been in one of their stores for years to know if those sizes are available in a store, or just online. Online, Zappos, Endless, and Amazon probably the best places to find 'designer' shoes in larger sizes (excluding Elle & Pleaser, which almost any 'adult clothing' website can get in a large size). sexyshoes.com has been around for a while, nothing name brand there, but from what I remember, a decent selection in larger sizes. Naturalizer has shoes up to 12W. I bought a pair of 12W ankle boots which, though tight, are ok, and are currently my primary heeling shoe. Nordstroms shows sizes up to 14 online. The selection of that didn't look to great, but their 12's and 13's worth checking out. I just bought a pair of 12M there, based on reviews that said they run large. [i'm still evaluating them; probably a post on them to come in the future.] In terms of "how small will you go", there's no easy answer for that. The Naturalizer ankle boots I got are at times tight. But they're just about perfect in every other way (for what I'm looking out of them) that I have to keep them. [They're my primary heels currently]. If you're looking at shoes/boots for regular wear, they probably can't be too small. On the other hand, if they are just for occasional 'dress up', then you can probably live with some tightness. For example, I think Victoria Secrets sells a pair of close to 6" heel pumps (unfortunately with a 2" platform) in a size 12 (forgot the name of it). While I'm sure they would be tight, it would probably be okay for the short time I'd wear them, just to get the thrill of having worn 'skyscraper' heels. I haven't tried the freezing water trick yet, though obviously it's not as it sounds - wouldn't want a pair of shoes that's now larger, but also water-stained. If it helps, endless has a 1 yr return (I thionk w/ paid return shipping), and Nordstroms is supposedly forever (both on unworn items). While potentially more complicated, if you ever find a pair from there that "may not be a bad pair", you can always buy it, wait to see if you find anything better (perhaps, similar shoe in larger size), and then either return it if you do find something else, or keep it and adapt to it. I'm sure all of us with larger feet at one time or another have passed on a smaller size shoe that might have fit, hoping to find a larger one, but never did.