Anyone who build scale modelship/boats in wood/plastic?

I´m a modelfreak also not just PC.Ihave built some ship and boats in my days.The last I built was a small fishingbaot with fishnet on either side(Cux 87) is the name. My favorite model maker is Building Boats that is a danish company.I´ve stuck to them for 24 years now.I have a submarine from Robbe also but that one is not finished. I will try to post som pics. Jankas

I am who I am and no one else/Jankas

This one I built in 4 weeks and sold it for 350 euro to a shipbroker.

The name is CANUTE but changed to Stockvik.

Posted Image

This one is almost built of plastic with 3 eletric motors.Name is Weisel and sold 030525 for 150euro.

Posted Image

Posted Image

When I was 7 or 8 I built a plastic scale model kit of PT-109 (not to be confused with PT-73 of McHale's Navy of which scale model kits also existed).

I don't think I did a very good job. There were glue stains and bits of rubbish stuck to it. But my mom, an ardent Democrat to the end of her days, displayed it between a bronze bust and framed portrait of JFK.

In my early teens I built model tanks, including the large scale Panzerkampfwagen VI Tiger E from Tamiya that had a fully detailed interior.

Michael

HI Mk4625 What does it stand for?My models are radio controlled and fully functional. The Cux 87 is about 50 cm long with functioning positionlights.The torpedoboat is 107 cm longand also have positionlights that work.I will post more pics later.I have a room in the basement 22square m With a zink and toilet that I pay 50 Euro/month.Electricity and water is included.I´ll post a pic of that to later. Bye for now Jankas

HI Mk4625

What does it stand for?

Hi,

PT-109 was the boat commanded by John F. Kennedy in World War II. I believe the scale model came out shortly after he was elected President.

This boat did not have any controls. It was equipped with an electric motor that rotated the propellor. Even the motor was a kit which was very tricky to assemble (you had to wind the armature yourself).

Michael

I'm in the process of building this ship:

http://www.boatnerd.com/pictures/fleet/johnleitch.htm

Visit http://www.boatnerd.com

for all your Great lakes shipping enjoyment.

Three longs and a short and 73 as well.

w

Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus, I'm from the Earth.Now wearing HH Penny Loafers full time.

Hi WarrenB That would be a chalange to build in a scalemoel or radiocontrolled.I got drawings for 2 cargoships from 1950-60,one has the bridge in the back and the other in the middle.I haven´t started with thoose yet.But I don´t think I ever have seen one like yours :wink: Good luck. Hi MK4625 I wasen´t wondering about the boat´s name.I wonderd what mk4625 stands for.Sorry that i´m asking so unclear. Jankas

I wasen´t wondering about the boat´s name.I wonderd what mk4625 stands for.Sorry that i´m asking so unclear.

Jankas

Hi Jankas,

MK are my first and middle initials. 4625 was my phone number at my first job at a defense contractor.

I remember getting the security clearance to be allowed to work there. They asked me if I was gay or took drugs.

Michael

Ok thank´s for the explaining.It´s a smart way to keep track of special numbers.You can allso make names of a number by using the letters by eatch number ex.1=abc 2=def and so on.It is an oldie but goldie. :wink: And no one thinks i´m gay or wierd(that I know of).Are you into anything else than model building? BTW did ju get the drawings for that ship or just building on free hand? Jankas

Hi WarrenB

That would be a chalange to build in a scalemoel or radiocontrolled.I got drawings for 2 cargoships from 1950-60,one has the bridge in the back and the other in the middle.I haven´t started with thoose yet.But I don´t think I ever have seen one like yours :wink: Good luck.

Many different types of ships ply the Great Lakes. Look at the pic on the link below. There are seveal in the Detroit River. Traditional Lakers have the pilothouse foreward and the accomodations aft. More modern ones have it all aft. Self unloaders are standard equipment.

http://www.boatnerd.com/news/newpictures03/diamond-ph-5-25-03-bh-(3).jpg

Enjoy.

Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus, I'm from the Earth.Now wearing HH Penny Loafers full time.

Hi WarrenB When your going to build a ship like that do you try to get the blubrints then or just on freehand?I am a member of "club maritim".It´s for sailors capten´s and people like me hobbybuilders.I buy blueprints from Swedish warfsI can only get prints from Swed. ships. But if you want blueprints try any warf nearby your home.They will surley let you buy a copy.I payed 16 Euro for orginal blueprints to 2 ships with every measure and placement there is( No eletrical or hydraulic)But who needs that.Then you can build the ships in whatever scale you want. Jankas

I used to build models of ships. I have a Titanic to build for the wife, but I haven't built any since 1986 when I finished a Japanese battleship. It was the Yamato's sister ship, Musashi, and the model was about 5 foot long. I had to sell it because it's size stopped me from bringing it back from Hong Kong :D Pity, cos I like that model. 2 motors were housed in it. One to turn the 4 propellers and one to turn the radar assembly. It was beautiful. I actually have fond memories of that model. I floated it in the school pond one time and someone broadsided it with an apple. The model was undamaged, which was a surprise to everyone. I guess they don't make 'em like they used to :wink:

Sorry to hear that about not being able to take it home.But fun that they thought they could sink it an did not suceed.You built it well then.Why don´t you look around to any warf or call archives for ships and buy a blueprint copy and build it again in the UK this time.I search for anything I want to build and will get it at the end. I got blueprints for the old Swedish subwaytrains so I´m building one in scale G thats 60mm between the track( a garden railroad).I was inspired by The LONDON toymuseum were me and my son was 9 years ago.I want to go back once.I´m also thinking of building a howercraft with fans from the Pc chassies.I´ll post a pic later from my hobbyroom in the basement.What I wear you can guess. Jankas

Very impressive models, Jankas! I'm into railway modelling or used to be but your exploits beat mine easily. You must have been extremely dedicated to build such a quality model in a short space of time, and it's nice that your exploits can be rewarded with a good sale price. Were you a little sad to sell your boats because there was a large part of yourself in the work, or were you anxious like some creators to make room for the next project?

I am very impressed with you folks who have the patience and motivation to build ship models at such a large scale. Twice I was almost influenced to make models myself. The first model was to be of the Navy ship that I served upon. And the second was to be the Great Lakes merchant freighter S. S. Edmund Fitzgerald. Whenever I heard Gordon Lightfoot sing his haunting ballad called "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald", that got me interested in how this ship vanished mysteriously in a Great Lakes storm. Unfortunately, I got busy with other higher priorities and never started on either boat. I remember reading an article in a science magazine about 30 years ago where guys would build models of naval war vessels and float them on lakes where they could re-enact battles. But what was interesting about this was the fact that some of the vessels were large enough so that each builder could fit into his own vessel and control it from within.

click .... click .... click .... The sensual sound of stiletto heels on a hard surface.

Hi Firefox I do put my soul in the models but I like building them so when I get one sold I´m happy that they choose my model and that I can get on with next project.In my hobbyroom I have 7 boats all from halfmade to ready.I build 2-3 at the time beacuse when iglue one it has to dry for an hour then I do something on the other and at the end I´m back on the first.It gives me som variation in the building and more fun.Ok there can be a backside to this that it´s very hard to keep parts seperated.I´ve sucseded allthe time yet. PJ I don´t think it has to be prioriti to make a model.The most important is a place without kids running around and you do it when you want to relax like therapi.It calms you down.I use to sit biulding and listen to music and the hours fly by thats a negative part I don´t have enough time.When I leave the place I´m relaxed and saticfied to hav acomlished something. Jankas

well ... erm ... it's comprehensive!! :o looks like a fully stocked model room to me! :D I'd never be able to get away with it though. The household management would have something to say :wink: but then those that have visited my house will say that it looks similar anyway ! :D

I´m alone in that room so that´s why it looks like it does.The green thing in the botom pic is a model of the Swedish old subway scale 1:26.And I´m working on several things at the same time like today I have been down doing a bit of subway,some on the boat in the first pic with blue hull and I´m working on a howercraft with Pc fans. There is one dangerous thing about a room like this.If I dont sweep up the sawdust it can explode if it gets to much in the air and a spark comes in so I have to sweep the floor often.There is also where i´m gonna make some own hh shoes(not for this topic .sorry).I do´n´t think I need many more machines anyway. Have a nice weekend everybody. Jankas

Hi WarrenB

When your going to build a ship like that do you try to get the blubrints then or just on freehand?I am a member of "club maritim".It´s for sailors capten´s and people like me hobbybuilders.I buy blueprints from Swedish warfsI can only get prints from Swed. ships. But if you want blueprints try any warf nearby your home.They will surley let you buy a copy.I payed 16 Euro for orginal blueprints to 2 ships with every measure and placement there is( No eletrical or hydraulic)But who needs that.Then you can build the ships in whatever scale you want.

Jankas

I was able to get some plans from a guy in Rochester New York. He had several ship plans and couldn't do the models. So I was able to get the Canadian Century plans. The plan scale is 1 foot = 1/8" which works out to 1:96. I am also a model railroader in HO scale which is 1:87. So the size is similar and I'll use the model on my layout.

w

Hi WarrenB I ´ve been into modelrailroading before.I had quite a big set of trains and stuff but sold it cause the missing space :wink: Should not done that.Now Í´m into building trains in G-scale 1:26 thats more fun cause it´s bigger and more detailed.I´m into making my own track from aluminium profiles.That was good you got the ship in same scale as the RR.I´m looking for theese old western loodboats with 2 big showelwheels(just the prints?)We don´t make them her cause lack of long rivers.Do you now any site or warf?Keep railing Jankas

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I also used to build shipmodels once upon a time, had over 40 of them at one stage. My real interest is passenger ships though and I used to collect the liner models, had Titanic, Queen Mary, Queen Elizabeth, QE2, Mauretania and United States at one time. Also built radio control boats as well, but the costs of the imported kits just made it prohibitive and eventually I stopped and concentrated more on maritime studies and ship photography. Its a lovely hobby to have, but it does take up space and time. Congrats on those models though, I like that tug, she is a beaut.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Jemanda All those are sold now but thats to get more room for new ones.For the tug I got 250Euro,for the warship 180Euro.And I just sold 2 tugs for 550Euro.I like to build them not to have them taking space.If there are som special ships I might keep them.Yuo say its a expensive hobby? Okay in sort of a way yes you have to buy the first one but then you can make many more. If you take the parts and copy them in a copier you get the right size. then just cut out the copy and use it onsome used wood or new.So thats what I do when I remember.I made one boat twice as big by using that method.One modell I made 3 more of and sold.It was just a small boat but anyway.Have a nice weekend. Jankas

• 2 weeks later...

I don't build boats but I own a mildly modified Tamiya TXT-1 (Tamiya Xtreme Truck-1) and A stock as a rock Tamiya Juggernaut 2 theycome as a kit (add your own radio gear)

both use almost the same driveline but the TXT-1 is a beefed up Jugg2 but so many parts are different that a TXT-1 is efectively a jugg3!

they are both 1/10 scale SOLID axled electric dual motored Monster trucks http://www.geocities.com/flgnowbla/rcmts.html I like my toys to be drivable :lol: although my Jugg2 is now retired but that's ok because My TXT-1 is fun with a Capital F. I gotta go

later,

TXT-1

P.s don't ask me why I have a screename on a HH site that is named after a radio controlled monster truck - even I don't know the answer to that one :lol:

Hi TXT

Here is my Fun thing to drive it´s got working headlights,directionlights,reverse signal, 3 gears forward & 3 reverse , brakelights and hazardfunction.It cost me 1120 euro when I bougt it.I can put 30 33cl cans in the trailer.Its controlled with 4 channel radio.

Posted Image

Hope it will show :lol: It´s scale 1:16

nice Tamiya King hauler (your truck looks like a Tamiya King Hauler - but i do realize that there are are other scale semis) I don't have much planned for my TXT-1 new shockies and a pair of Magnetic Mayhems (22 turn modified motors) 1/4 throttle wheelstands (if i give it to much throttle it will flip onto its roof) :lol::lol: later, TXT-1

To TXT1 Your absolute right it is the King Hauler with trailer.I´m having it out for sale cause when I get outside the door with this suddenly there is 10-20 childeren around me and the truck.They run around and in front and ask questions.I like to drive it in peace and harmony(me and my truck).I don´t have any car so I can´t go anywhere else because im not taking it on coletive trafic like bus or subway(it´s to heavy for carrying around). To Firefox I have tried that once but gave up.I drove over a big grashopper once(by accident)and the truck did not move mutch.I succeded to lay it on its side once also by turning with to mutch speed.It did not happen anything Iwas sure the truck got vasted but it was ok.It´s only easy to controll in 1-2gear. The 3 is to fast to enjoy the truck with. To both Have a nice weekend and take care. Jankas

I used to be into radio control cars when I was younger. I never really had the money back then. Now I don't have the time, so I'm planning to wait until the children are old enough to join in, then I'll pretend I'm helping them and get back into it :lol:

Obsessed is such a strong word. I prefer to think of myself as "differently enthusiastic"