Dupre on "20/20"

heelma

Did anyone watch "Ashley Dupre", former NY Gov Spitzer's call girl, in an interview at ABC's "20/20" on 11/22/2008?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_9zaA7DnjU&feature=related

(only at 0:47-0:49; 1:32; 2:18-2:20)

On the one hand, it's good to see such high heels on TV. My guess is they are 5.5" with a 1" platform.

However, the fact that it's a former call girl wearing those might as well confirm the cliches about "hookers & high heels".

What do you think about this one?

Me too. I particularly noticed it because anytime ex-callgirls, also there was that husband and wife in Florida (where the husband took video from the closest), come into public (either an interview, or a court appearance), they always seem to really tone down their look. I didn't sense that here, in fact with Ashley, she didn't seem repentent at all. Sort of refreshing (perhaps honest), since I'm sceptical of all of a sudden changes (just because they were caught). As far as the stereotype, I don't think it's as bad as it was. Nothing she had on was that revealing (skirt didn't seem too short), and no glam makeup (had that been excessive, I think that could have reinforced the 'hooker' image more). 20 years ago, the only women who wore 5" heels were probably hookers and strippers. Today, you'd be hard pressed to go thru an average mall (with say a Macy's or a Nine West store), and not be able to find 5" heels. To be honest (and not trying to be offensive), I'm sure going to a typical nightclub now a days, between high heels, short skirts, low cut/revealing top, and makeup, you could make a case that 'clubbing' women look a lot more hooker-ish than Ashley does.

She's wearing YSL Tribute Too pumps.

Hey, you might be right! I always thought they were peep-toes, but they really look more like those YSLs. She definitely made a lot of money with her story after it became public.

As far as the stereotype, I don't think it's as bad as it was. Nothing she had on was that revealing (skirt didn't seem too short), and no glam makeup (had that been excessive, I think that could have reinforced the 'hooker' image more).

20 years ago, the only women who wore 5" heels were probably hookers and strippers. Today, you'd be hard pressed to go thru an average mall (with say a Macy's or a Nine West store), and not be able to find 5" heels.

You are definitely correct that heels are higher now in general, which is great.

For example, the other day some companies had some marketing displays for their products on display somewhere. Two of them had guys sent, one a not very spectacular lady (sorry, don't want to offend anyone here), and one had a younger lady with 5.5" inch platform stilettos who apparently liked to wobble around with those quite a bit while standing and talking to potential customers. Guess where the most people went :w00t2:

From another perspective though ... here we know that Dupre is a callgirl, and now people see her wear those really high heels. I still wonder if some folks thought "ah, look at those hooker heels" ... and probably the same folks would have said "look, how sexy", if it were anyone else.

... I still wonder if some folks thought "ah, look at those hooker heels" ... and probably the same folks would have said "look, how sexy", if it were anyone else.

That got me thinking, I wonder what an average person sees: the heel height, or the foot angle? If the specs in my previous post are correct:

- a 5 3/4" heel is about as high as you'd see a woman on a regular tv show wear (hookers and models maybe being able to handle a full 6"+)

- subtracting the platform height from the heel height only gives a 4" rise, which isn't really that much now a days (as I said in my initial post, I think it's easy today to find shoes will a 4 1/2" - 5" heel and no platform).

Here shoes didn't seem out of place, and weren't excessible noticeable (ie. if they were red patent!).