Inner material/lining loose

alba2000

Hey there! Hope someone can help out, before I go and jump straight in and make a mess! :w00t2: I just got a great pair of black patent leather courts in a sale (last pair in my size). However after wearing most them most of the day yesterday in stockings I couldn't resist one more quick walk around in them with my bare feet... when I slipped them off the leather inner sole/lining had stuck to my big toe and came loose from the base. :lmao: I can't take them back as it was the last pair and I love them! Any suggestions for fixing it back down other than superglue? Anything I should avoid? Thanks!

I would think some adhesive such as superglue would be best, but just be careful with it. There may be other alternatives that cobbler-types might suggest, but I don't know what else might work. I too had the same problem with the inner lining sliding/scrunching/lifting, and might do it to those to see how well it works.

SQ.....still busting societal molds with a smile...and a 50-ton sledge!

Anything I should avoid?

Thanks!

AVOID SUPERGLUE!

The reason is, that super glue dries rock hard, like a hard plastic it has no flexibility so after a couple of wears it will crumble & no longer bond.

If the innersoles had a foam on the back of the innersock then they may not have been glued in the first place, this will be a latex foam & after a few wears creates its own bond to the base of the shoe. if this is the case put them back in & wear them a few more times to allow this to take effect.

If you do need to bond them, I would suggest either your repairer or an upholstery type glue. most shops will pay for a repairers repair if you prearrange this & give them the receipt.

Lee

Repair Reuse Recycle. Cobbler it.

Negative on the superglue! Superglue is intended to be used on non-porus materials like ceramic or some metals. The kind of glue (cement) you need is contact cement or any one of a number of adhesives that are intended to be used on porus materials. Also, do not use white glue, as this is intended for wood and paper and generally isn't very durable. Any reliable hardware store will have the kind of cement you need. If possible avoid cans and bottles, as the glue will almost certainly dry out or congeal before you use it all. I would suggest the smallest tube available, which should last you for quite some time if you keep it properly capped. :w00t2:

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

Any particular brands or types that anyone would recommend, so we know what to look for when shopping?

DuPont has about a dozen or more adhesives that will do the job, but any kind of contact cement will do. For big jobs, like cementing two strips of leather together to make a heavy belt, I have a quart can in my basement thats several years old, but for small jobs I run down to the local dollar store and buy a tube or 2 off the shelf. In the worst case one could even use rubber cement, but that would be only for emergencies.

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

I apologise for this post before I make it, as its banging the drum for the shoe repairer again. But I would like to explain that its all I know! I Know no different than what I see!:lmao:

You local repairer will do tubes of glue, for DIY repairs. You want the one called neoprene adhesive. It will cost about the same as anywhere else & will be the right stuff for the job.:w00t2:

Guys N. Heels recommended a small tube & I would agree with this & the DIY glue from cobblers is usually in a tube.

Win win.

Lee

a small tube will be a definite to get down to the toe area. Will look into this further when I get a chance. The problem hasn't gotten any worse since the weekend. I can see me wearing these shoes lots as they are really comfy and look the biz! :lmao: Good luck with your shopping ShockQueen! :w00t2: Thanks again for all the excellent advice!

Something else I thought off a little after my last post was this....... If you buy a contact adhesive as suggested by Guy N. Heels or Neoprene (again a contact adhesive) by myself both instructions will say something along the lines off. "Brush on the two surfaces & allow to go tacky before pressing the layers together" ignore this in the case of innersocks! you are better to liberally apply the glue to the inside of the shoe with a brush, so the surface "looks" wet. then slide the innersole down into the shoe, because it is wet it will allow the insole to move about to the correct position. If you allow both surfaces to go "tacky" you'll never get them in the right place, believe me! The glue will dry just the same, with less heart ache! Lee

Something else I thought off a little after my last post was this.......

If you buy a contact adhesive as suggested by Guy N. Heels or Neoprene (again a contact adhesive) by myself both instructions will say something along the lines off.

"Brush on the two surfaces & allow to go tacky before pressing the layers together"

ignore this in the case of innersocks! you are better to liberally apply the glue to the inside of the shoe with a brush, so the surface "looks" wet. then slide the innersole down into the shoe, because it is wet it will allow the insole to move about to the correct position.

If you allow both surfaces to go "tacky" you'll never get them in the right place, believe me!

The glue will dry just the same, with less heart ache!

Lee

In addition, once the innersole is properly in position to your satisfaction, don't forget to clamp the work. I would suggest some small boards on either side of the work and a "C" clamp or two. By all means, avoid clamping the upper to the inner sole. One small scrap of wood goes inside the shoe with one on the bottom sole. I usually allow about 6 to 12 hours (longer if possible) for the work to set-up.

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

good advice on a shoe sole, but for an innersock its not needed, here is why you glue the shoe & replace the innersock, the glue then begins to go off & you smooth the lining with your hand, the glue then fully dries & you start wearing them. Now with every step you are pressing the lining between your foot , the sole & the ground. And because you have let the glue go off in the first place, it won't move about whilst this is happening, No wood clamps required. Even Professionally, I don't press innersoles into shoes, its over complicating a simple task. its also very easy to put a ridge on the surface of the linning from the edge of what ever you are using to press them with & feet are very sensitive get a line in the wrong place & they become uncomfortable. Lee