Flying in heels

Van

HI, it's a long time I haven't contributed. I don't know if the topic has already been discussed but has any of you already traveled by air while wearing heels. I flew from continental Europe to Heathrow, then Heathrow to Hong Kong and Sydney wearing a pair of 3.5" pumps. I had on a pair of sequined/embroidered ladies jeans, lady loose turtle neck (with wooden necklace) and blazer. No problem at all, although I caught quite a few stares.. It was a bit of a thrill to have to remove my shoes, put them in a tray to pass them thru' the scanner (metalic heels ...). Last year I traveled in skirt but with flat shoes (denim skirt, opaque black pantyhose, loafers). I noticed that very few women wear a skirt to travel these days. I think that - as a guy - wearing skirt and heels would be a bit too much, unless fully "en femme" so I decided on a pair of sequined jeans. It's the first time I enjoyed this exhausting trip from Europe to Australia. What a little heel can do !! Morality: live your life, don't be paranoid, nobody's gonna jail you for wearing heels. Vanessa

Came back from Florida last year. As it happened with the last minute packing I had a pair of brown 4" narrow wedge heeled, knee high boots that were in hand luggage. Went through security fine. About 20 minutes before boarding I asked the wife if she minded me wearing them for the flight home. (I think it is important to respect her limits). Not a problem. Went of to the toilets, put on my heels and travelled home. The heels made the control of an obstinate baggage trolley at Gatwick more difficult. And then there was a two hour wait for the baggage to tuen up. Nobody noticed, not from the family or other travellers! Great experience - will be doing it again.

I recently flew out of town and had my wife not been with me, I would definately have worn either knee or calf high boots, either blade or stiletto heel, through the US TSA, etc. I'm sure I will have that opportunity down the road.

It's all about the heel!

I mentioned in another thread that I've not yet had the guts to wear heels thru security; hiking up the pants leg to unzip knee high boots in front of everyone still freaks me out a little. I have changed after security to a pair from my carry-on, however. Last time (a couple weeks ago) was into a pair of Skechers 4" block heeled platform boots. Made the flight, gathered my checked bag afterwards, rode the bus to the rental car facility, dinner, hotel, etc. Flying out this Sunday evening, which may be a good opportunity to just go for it thru security, since I'm sure there will be few people in the lines.

"It's just a flesh wound"

My advice on wearing heels through security is to make sure that whatever you wear it doesn't take forever to take off. People in security lines are most interested in things going swiftly, and nobody likes slow people in front of them. Otherwise, I don't think it matters what you wear. I have often worn heels in airports. It is a great place since everyone is rushing around. I change out of them before I get on the airplane for two reasons. On the plane you are literally stuck. If you were to get somebody really disapproving next to you, it could be an unpleasant flight. One could argue that I shouldn't care. But the main reason is that there is already not enough legroom. Having your knees come up higher with the high heel, makes it even more uncomfortable.

if were Me on a flight with THAT kind of person, I'd just as soon tell him to shut his mouth (hint: I didnt ask you if you like them or not) IF he started (& please parden the "street" phrase this is) "talking shit" you know what I mean here- mouthing off in a most negitive manner towards my choice of footwear!!:santa_hat:

I was all set to wear my boots thru security last night, then had a pause: man wearing chunky heeled platform boots onto an airplane, what's he smuggling in there? Hmmm, I don't need the cavity search, so I reconsidered and changed into them after security.

I mentioned in another thread that I've not yet had the guts to wear heels thru security; hiking up the pants leg to unzip knee high boots in front of everyone still freaks me out a little. I have changed after security to a pair from my carry-on, however. Last time (a couple weeks ago) was into a pair of Skechers 4" block heeled platform boots. Made the flight, gathered my checked bag afterwards, rode the bus to the rental car facility, dinner, hotel, etc.

Flying out this Sunday evening, which may be a good opportunity to just go for it thru security, since I'm sure there will be few people in the lines.

I had no problem with my Skechers laced boots (chunky 3" heels) that look definitely unisex (like caterpillar or redskins men booties but with a heel). I even had to put them away because they made the security gate ring. Absolutely no remark from anyone.

I've often seriously considered wearing some heels when flying. My issues is that when I'm travelling for fun, my SO is with me and I don't think we wants the extra attention (she knows, btw). When I'm travelling alone, it's for work and I'm afraid that it will be the one time that the airline loses my luggage and I'll be stuck with what I'm wearing. Since I typically have to go in for whatever work stuff early in the morning and I typically fly late at night the night before, that doesn't leave much time for emergency shoe shopping. Of course I could carry an extra pair in carry on luggage, but shoes take a lot of room.

I've often seriously considered wearing some heels when flying. My issues is that when I'm travelling for fun, my SO is with me and I don't think we wants the extra attention (she knows, btw). When I'm travelling alone, it's for work and I'm afraid that it will be the one time that the airline loses my luggage and I'll be stuck with what I'm wearing. Since I typically have to go in for whatever work stuff early in the morning and I typically fly late at night the night before, that doesn't leave much time for emergency shoe shopping. Of course I could carry an extra pair in carry on luggage, but shoes take a lot of room.

Haha, yeah, I've had that fear, too. Of course, lost bags would be a bigger problem than just what shoes I'm wearing. Or the other fear, that one day while I'm out driving someplace in heels that I'll have car problems and end up walking along the highway!