Dress code in our office as per Bootrule

alicia

The winter is still hanging aorund the corner. Yesterday a new girl in our office worn a pair of Doc Martin to work. Well before we get into this argument perhaps we should indenfity dress boots and casual boots. Fist of all dress boots. As the name suggests these boots are worn to a nice restaurant, office and a business meeting. Anywhere where you want to look good ad professional. As a result they are usually elegant,professional looking with an extended heel. An example of a dress boot is knee high stiletto boots. Casual boots are footwear we would wear everyday. A good example is Doc Martins. Other examples of casual boots are constructional hiking style boots. So what do you prefer? Are you a casual person or a dress person? Perhaps you are both. Well there is no doubt that they give people a different style. Casual boots for example have a colorful history. They have been worn by the military, the police, skinheads and punks. More recently you see Goths wearing boots. They certainly have a rebellious quality and individualism that much footwear lack. When you wear casual boots, perhaps along with your clothes and haircut they tell people exactly what you are interested in. How many times have you seen a skinhead walking confidently down the road with a heavy pair of steel caps? Did you avoid his stare? Probably. A similar thing with cowboy and motorcycle boots. We see this footwear on people and automatically make presumptions about them. It is a natural thing to do and no doubt why people are wearing these boots in the first place. On the other hand dress boots are associated with confident, good looking people. Women who have good jobs and want to look good when they go out. Often we see models wearing knee high boots on the catwalk. But what do these say about you? Unlike casual boots, dress boots tend to give you a less edgy appearance, rather than being associating them with a sub-culture we tend to think high society. They give you a refined look and mark someone out as a respected person in society. A lot of people own both kinds of footwear. If they are going to the pub they wear Doc Martins. If they are going on a date they may wear there knee high boots. For myself, I own have few pair of casual boots that I bought years ago, I spend most of my time wear dress boots (knee boots, OTK boots mostly) due to my career, even on weekend when I put on my jeans, meeting people in the club. My life is already bonded with dress boots and I am proud of it. Once again, high heels boots are essentially ostentatious items; they can transmit different messages via body language depending on how you use them. The images that heels are best at reinforcing are those of femininity, sophistication, classy, confidence, authority, or sexiness. That is the good thing about today’s culture it seems like every fashion has been exhausted and we can feel free to wear what we like. When we like. Casual boots for example though linked in the past with skinheads are now worn by straightedge vegans. No longer do they have the negative connatations associated with them in the past. ALicia

Boot me up, Boot me down