Interesting Article for the Skirt Wearing Guys out there

sscotty727

This is about a kid wearing a kilt to his prom (wasn't initally allowed, but after protests they appologized).

Imagine if it was a skirt and not a kilt and he wasn't Scottish......

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060112/od_nm/kilt_dc

Kilt-wearing boy wins apology

KANSAS CITY, Missouri (Reuters) - A Missouri high school student who was barred from a school dance because he was wearing a Scottish kilt has received an apology from school officials after the action sparked outrage among Scottish heritage supporters.

In a letter dated January 9, Jackson School District Superintendent Ron Anderson apologized to Jackson High School senior Nathan Warmack and said the district would train staffers how to properly apply the school dress code.

The letter came after more than two months of debate and discussion about the actions of school officials when they asked Warmack, who is of Scottish descent, to change into trousers before entering the dance on November 5.

News of the event sparked an Internet petition, which was ultimately signed by more than 10,000 supporters and championed by the Clan Gunn Society of North America, which promotes Scottish heritage and traditions.

"Individual members felt like there had been an injustice to the young man," said society president Rich Gunn.

This is about a kid wearing a kilt to his prom (wasn't initally allowed, but after protests they appologized).

Imagine if it was a skirt and not a kilt and he wasn't Scottish......

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060112/od_nm/kilt_dc

Kilt-wearing boy wins apology

KANSAS CITY, Missouri (Reuters) - A Missouri high school student who was barred from a school dance because he was wearing a Scottish kilt has received an apology from school officials after the action sparked outrage among Scottish heritage supporters.

In a letter dated January 9, Jackson School District Superintendent Ron Anderson apologized to Jackson High School senior Nathan Warmack and said the district would train staffers how to properly apply the school dress code.

The letter came after more than two months of debate and discussion about the actions of school officials when they asked Warmack, who is of Scottish descent, to change into trousers before entering the dance on November 5.

News of the event sparked an Internet petition, which was ultimately signed by more than 10,000 supporters and championed by the Clan Gunn Society of North America, which promotes Scottish heritage and traditions.

"Individual members felt like there had been an injustice to the young man," said society president Rich Gunn.

Hi Scotty,

there must be something wrong with the democracy in the United States. Even a traditional scottish kilt forbidden for a guy? Completely unimaginable in every European country. Not only in Scotland but also in Greece soldiers are wearing skirts. And in Makedonia skirts for guys are also an old tradition. At least some officials apologized for this mistake.

The best fashion is your own fashion!

The "moral majority" unfortunately run alot of things in certain places within the country. Anything that is seem as "deviant" isn't tolerated and stopped. I am sure the person that barred him probably thought he was wearing a skirt. As I said, imagine if he did show up in a skirt or heels. Bet he would have gotten suspended.

well, I think that the over-all mentality of the so called "moral majority" is somewhat "lacking" in imaginative thinking-I use this term very loosely as it seems that our country is being RUN by a bunch of political & social morons that are setting very poor examples to the rest of the country (& the rest of the whole world for that matter) & all this over the fact that some jerk sends someone home from school because he cant even tell the difference between a skirt or a kilt (that alone is so STUPID, not to mention the fact he didnt even think to ASK why it was being worn or if in fact it WAS a skirt OR a kilt) with the kind of idiots running the country now it all kind of figures now doesnt it!!?? :D

men still look good with pants tucked into the right boots!

Hi guys, last year I stumbled by accident over the web page of an american high school. I don't remember their site anymore. It was a school in the midwest of the United States. Reading their dress code rules I became more and more furious. I always thought that we Germans are considered in the world as superprecise, law-abiding, overregulating and so on. What I read, was simply a giant collection of restrictive rules :wink: Piercings for boys were simply forbidden, even earrings. For girls they had an echelon. Earrings were allowed. Other piercings, like nose studs, forbidden too. Hipjeans were only allowed for girls over 16 in their free time at the weekend. Heels higher than 2'' generally forbidden. For the girls, no rule for the boys (*grin*). During the week the school uniform was obligatory for both. I sent them a protesting email, naturally I never received any response. Some conservatives here are discussing the introduction of school uniforms in Germany too. Up to now luckily with low resonance. Scotty, your example shows clearly, where such official regulations are leading to :D micha

The best fashion is your own fashion!

HI, Micha,

Yes, the restrictive rules of the Americans remind me of a quote from the late Peter Ustinov .....

In America there is freedom of choice, but, through pressure of conformity, nothing to choose from.

Xa (on Calv's computer)

Do your own thing. Don't be a victim of conformity.

Calv

Hi guys,

last year I stumbled by accident over the web page of an american high school. I don't remember their site anymore. It was a school in the midwest of the United States. Reading their dress code rules I became more and more furious. I always thought that we Germans are considered in the world as superprecise, law-abiding, overregulating and so on. What I read, was simply a giant collection of restrictive rules :wink:

Piercings for boys were simply forbidden, even earrings. For girls they had an echelon. Earrings were allowed. Other piercings, like nose studs, forbidden too. Hipjeans were only allowed for girls over 16 in their free time at the weekend. Heels higher than 2'' generally forbidden. For the girls, no rule for the boys (*grin*). During the week the school uniform was obligatory for both.

I sent them a protesting email, naturally I never received any response. Some conservatives here are discussing the introduction of school uniforms in Germany too. Up to now luckily with low resonance. Scotty, your example shows clearly, where such official regulations are leading to :D

micha

There have been some reports where the recommendation was to use school uniforms because it evened the playing field with respect to trendy clothes, gang attire, etc. The "cool" kids had parents that could afford the trendy stuff and the "not cool" kids didn't. It caused fights, cliques on the property, etc., etc. Don't know if it was even instituted anywhere or had any lasting, useful effect, but it was an interesting article.

It sounds like that school you came across was a private school. They seem to be able to put silly rules in place. And the midwest isn't known (up here anyway) as being the most liberal, open-minded place (in general).