Zathrus Streetheeling Again

zathrus69

Opportunity knocked big time this week. A night away from home in a city-centre hotel. Meeting finished early so I had a chance to go heeling in a busy place (unlike the "is there anybody here?" out of town retail place I went to in my last post). Popped on a pair of 4" block-heeled boots under some long combats and, with virtually zero heel showing, off I went.

Two seconds away from the hotel and I passed a young woman coming the other way. Her eyes shifted down to my shoes as soon as I got close to her. Why? Because only I could buy a pair of thick block heels that are noiser than a set of 6" metal-heeled stilletto's! Instead of "click, click" I'm walking with a loud "knock, knock" that patently gives them away as women's shoes. Men's shoes just don't make a sound do they. Anyway, "sod it" I thought and I pressed onwards.

Next problem - hills. This place had some very steep hills and going down them in 4" heels was unexpectedly difficult. There were a lot of cobbled areas as well, which made me glad I wasn't wearing spikes.

I had about 1.5 hours of heeling up and down the main strip but the shops closed about 30 mins into my walk. The place was very busy with workers going home and late shoppers and, for the most part, no-one seemed to take any notice - despite the noise my shoes were making! Three or four young ladies did "the glance" but no comments were made, which is a shame, as I'd been practicing a few witty retorts to the question "Are those women's shoes?".

On the way back to the hotel I popped into a pub. I found a table in the corner and hid my boots as best I could. Nestling a warm pint of traditional ale I pondered what I'd just been doing. "Why do I put myself through this?", I thought. "Why can't society and, more pertinently, my wife, accept the fact that some men like to wear heels?", I questioned. More importantly though, "Why the hell did I have to buy a pair of boots noiser than a Dutch Glog Dancing troupe performing Riverdance?". :-)

Thanks for listening,

Zathrus

That's the one thing I hate about women's heels, as well - the noise. Or as the Grinch would say, "the noise, noise, Noise, NOISE, NOISE!"

By far the quietest pair of boots I own are my rubber-heeled 3-3/4 block heels I bought at Payless. Even across concrete or a wooden floor, they sound no lounder than a pair of sneakers or running shoes.

The next quietest pair are a pair of leather round-toe boots with stacked-leather heels (real stacked leather layers, not fakes). They were modified block, with full block at the top, and tapered sideways and front to back, but only about half-way, at the bottom (about 1-1/2" x 1-1/2"). They had a bit of a tap, but no more than any men's dress shoe (and probably a bit less).

Both were quiet and extremely comfortable shoes!