The Goddess Field Report - December 2003

Laurieheels

So with a day off from work, and having spent a Monday morning searching out a few pressies for this holiday season, I thought that it might be time for a bit of writing. And the long awaited return of a posting for the Goddess Field Report. But what could I have to discuss? Well, Friday night, my mother had me attend her company Christmas party with her. It was a nice evening, nothing overly glitzy, just a few hundred people enjoying dinner and trying to win prizes. Of course, it was a party, requiring some sort of semi-formal attire. And I do own this very nice burgandy dress, very much a christmas colour of burgandy. It's sleeveless, and falls above the knee by a few inches. And it has a very nice accompanying jacket of the same material and colour that is as long as the bottom of the dress. Matched with black stockings (held up by garters and worn under jeans at work during the day) the dress looks great, but what was I to wear on my feet? It's winter, and this year, it's actually being winter here in Calgary at Christmas time. There is ice and snow all around. And I haven't really worked on my new pair of boots, which I feel look best with pants. So, once again, I turned to my ankle boots. Yes, the well worn and somewhat broken black lace up ankle boots with the four inch stack stiletto heel. The right heel is broken, a crack in the layers that make the stack means the heel wobbles, and I think the metal shaft inside is now a bit bent. I keep telling myself "Just once more, and then I'll retire them" but once more keeps becoming once again, and then again. They're amazing boots, after all, and even if they cannot be repaired, as far as I can figure, I keep wearing them. One day, that heel is going to bend or snap or something... Of course, I did have my black velvet pumps along, hidden away just in case that sort of thing did occur. As for what others were wearing, well, I was impressed with a few ladies, who also had thin or even stiletto heels that were just as high as mine. Naturally, I did overhear some women who were worried about their shoes hurting their feet, and they were wearing low heels, usually blade styled, and sandals. I said nothing, of course, sitting or standing with a quiet pride that is best held inside with a smirk and a turn of the head. Amateurs.... But for those few who dared aspire to the lower levels of goddess heights for this party, I was impressed, for they must have been used to wearing such heels for parties. The pair that stood out the most happened to be red sandals with a nice four inch stiletto heel. The woman wearing this pair had an oriental influenced sleevless gown of a brighter red that was ankle length. And there was another pair worn by a woman that had about a four inch heel, although she was wearing pants so it was difficult to make sure they were that high. Closed toe black ankle straps, open in the back, and certainly very stylish. I could get glimpses of the shoes as he walked and her pant legs swished about. And there were some three inch heeled shoes as well, stiletto and thin and blade and rapier styles, pumps and sandals alike, all black, and all worn by women who seemed to wear them well enough. My mother wore her black suede pumps with the three inch heel, showing that even though her back has had problems (not heel related, mind you) she could still put on a nice pair of heels and do her thing. And matched with a short black shimmery dress and short black velvet jacket, I think she was one of the best dressed women there. I was very careful when we left the party, making the quick walk across the ciy parking lot to the car. Boots are certainly the thing to wear in this weather. And I was very careful driving so that I did not make the boot heel any worse. Of course, on Saturday, I put on my Reeboks to run a quick errand, and I ended up falling on a patch of ice on my way to the car. I was a bit sore for that evening, but I am well enough. It is just proof that being careful is important, because that is what keeps one from falling. No matter what is on your feet, you can still fall if you're preoccupied and not aware of where you're going or what you're walking on. This morning while I was out and about, I happened to be at Wal-mart, searching for some special Christmas cards and a few essentials for home. I did take a moment to look at the boots and shoes. And I have to say, the trends for thin heels must be popular, since the winter boots section featured a few pairs, some looking to be three inches high, or even higher. We all remember the Jennifer Lopez work bootie with the high heel, and they had a pair in size 10. So I gave them a try. They fit well enough, which surprised me. With the right pair of socks, or even stockings, they'd be great. And with a heel that looked to be above three inches, they would be wonderful with a pair of jeans. Sadly, this was not a day for personal shopping, as my money has to be saved for giving to others, this Christmas. So the boots were bid farewell, even though they were lowered by $10 for a clearance price of just under $40. At least the signs are good, for if Wal-mart can have thin, stiletto looking heels of a good height on boots, then what will the spring and summer fashions bring, even in the low end shoes of such a store? We can all hope it turns out well for fashion, as women wear heels more and more, and I find myself less and less alone in my choice of footwear. :D