Shopping in heels

Van

Hi everybody, I haven't been very active on the forum lately, too much work, too little time. But I have been "heeling" quite a bit this summer, walking and shoppping in and out of Benelux & North of France wearing e.g. a pair of trumpet denim jeans and high heel strappy sandals, with painted toe nails. Went to shops, banks, took public transport ... traveled by train from Brussels to Amsterdam wearing pumps. No reaction, some people did glance when they noticed the heels but, really, nobody cared and I didn't hear any negative comment. I notice also that I've become much bolder and more self-confident. This forum and the old one have certainly helped me building up my self-confidence. I don't look shy or weird, just behave normally and it works. I've been visiting old friends, wearing chunky heels boots (no pumps ... yet), they didn't care. Sometimes ladies enquire about them but find them OK. The usual reaction is "Since it is size 43, it has to be men's boots". Remember, we all wore platform boots in the 70's ... I write this to encourage those newcomers who may still have apprehension. I reckon it takes balls to start but then it gets easier and easier as confidence builds up. Talking about shopping, i bought everything but shoes, couldn't find anything of interest larger than 42 and I'm EU 43 ... much less choice than a couple of years ago :lol: . It's a blessing in disguise as I also decided to wear out the shoes i have before buying extra pairs. Ain't that a good and practical resolution :lol: ! Cheers, Vanessa

An excellent posting Vanessa! Bravo! Although maybe it's only what good old Firefox has been telling everyone for years, it's nice to hear it from someone else like yourself. And, of course, many of us veteran street-heeling guys like myself would entirely concur. This message cannot be said too often and by too many people in order to get the new-boys (and even the not so new shy-guys) stepping out and enjoying the whole experience and the buzz. It's so sad to think of any of them (and there seem to be quite a lot) trembling away inside their front doors, scared sh**less to emerge, when it's so EASY and so much fun! Again, an excellent posting Vanessa! Oh, and can you just tell us what sort of heels you had on those sandals? Cheerfully yours, Heelfan

Onwards and upwards!

Thanks for the compliment, Heelfan, I had bought the sandals at Barratts sales last year, when in London, black strappy sandals. Size 9. Heel : about 3.5" , nor spike nor blade, forgot how to call it: Louis XIV ??? (or is that for vintage furniture?), you know , the heel is fairly narrow but the bottom part gets a bit broader which ensure excellent stabilty. Cheers, Vanessa

Good to hear from you Vanessa. I definitely want to do the painted toenails with sandals at some point. But I am so bad at painting them myself, and I haven't found a salon yet where I can have them done. I live in such a conservative area. It is strange. I have no problem trying on shoes in a store, but I have not had the courage to walk into a nail place to have my feet done.

I think that's understandable; it's a much more intimate thing having your nails done unlike trying shoes on where you are still slightly distanced from people (unless it's an old fashioned/high class shoe shop where they fetch your size from the back, and put the shoe on for you!)

Emma

Oh, I have tried on shoes in many of these "old fashioned" shops where they ahve to go and get your size in the back. Usually they stop short of putting it on my foot. Though I know what you are talking about. I have seen in often in Europe that they actually put on the shoe for people.