Identity Theft

PJ

Identity theft is where someone, without your authorization, uses your personal information to commit fraud for economic gain. As of 1998, it became a federal crime in the USA. http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/getdoc.cgi?dbname=105_cong_public_laws&docid=publ318.105

Identity theft is the fastest growing crime in the USA. There are nearly 1,000,000 victims every year. Unfortunately, most of us do not realize just how serious this is until we become a victim. I want to educate you all now instead of having you learn about it the hard way. I'm sorry but I don't know how this applies to our friends who live outside of the USA.

Most of the time we don't hear about this crime until a victim comes forward and publicizes it. That happened in the case of a lawyer who is now spreading the word over the internet. His email follows:

===============================================

Subject: Fw: AN ATTORNEY'S ADVICE ON IDENTITY THEFT

The next time you order checks have only your initials (instead of first name) and last name put on them. If someone takes your check book they will not know if you sign your checks with just your initials or your first name but your bank will know how you sign your checks.

When you are writing checks to pay on your credit card accounts, DO NOT put the complete account number on the "For" line. Instead, just put the last four numbers. The credit card company knows the rest of the number and anyone who might be handling your check as it passes through all the check processing

channels won't have access to it.

Put your work phone # on your checks instead of your home phone. If you have a PO Box use that instead of your home address. If you do not have a PO Box use your work address.

Never have your SS# printed on your checks (DUH!) you can add it if it is necessary. But if you have it printed, anyone can get it.

Place the contents of your wallet on a photocopy machine or scanner, do both sides of each license, credit card, etc. You will know what you had in your wallet and all of the account numbers and phone numbers to call and cancel.

Keep the photocopy in a safe place. I also carry a photocopy of my passport when I travel either here or abroad.

We've all heard horror stories about fraud that's committed on us in stealing a name, address, Social Security number, credit cards, etc. Unfortunately I, an attorney, have firsthand knowledge because my wallet was stolen last month. Within a week, the thieve(s) ordered an expensive monthly cell phone

package, applied for a VISA credit card, had a credit line approved to buy a Gateway computer, received a PIN number from DMV to change my driving record information online, and more.

But here's some critical information to limit the damage in case this happens to you or someone you know. We have been told we should cancel our credit cards immediately. But the key is having the toll free numbers and your card numbers handy so you know whom to call. Keep those where you can find them

easily.

File a police report immediately in the jurisdiction where it was stolen, this proves to credit providers you were diligent, and is a first step toward an investigation (if there ever is one).

But here's what is perhaps most important: (I never even thought to do this).

Call the three national credit reporting organizations immediately to place a fraud alert on your name and Social Security number. I had never heard of doing that until advised by a bank that called to tell me an application for credit was made over the Internet in my name. The alert means any company that

checks your credit knows your information was stolen and they have to contact you by phone to authorize new credit.

By the time I was advised to do this, almost two weeks after the theft, all the damage had been done. There are records of all the credit checks initiated by the thieves' purchases, none of which I knew about before placing the alert. Since then, no additional damage has been done, and the thieves threw my wallet away this weekend.(someone turned it in). It seems to have stopped them in their tracks.

The numbers are:

Equifax: 1-800-525-6285

Experian (formerly TRW): 1-888-397-3742

Trans Union: 1-800-680-7289

Social Security Administration (fraud line): 1-800-269-0271

We pass along jokes on the Internet; we pass along just about everything. Pass this information along. It could really help someone you care about.

===============================================

For more information, please visit:

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/credit/idtheft.htm

http://www.usdoj.gov/criminal/fraud/idtheft.html

http://www.idtheftcenter.org/index.shtml

http://www.consumer.gov/idtheft/

click .... click .... click .... The sensual sound of stiletto heels on a hard surface.

Not to make light of the situation, but the letter you posted mentions Trans Union. Be cautious with this company, they hyave a habit of adding things to a record, but never removing them despite many requests. If you must notify them about anything, make sure you have a means to clear it all up once any possible identity theft is over. Even when Trans Union places something on your account in error, as has happened to me, it can take years of calling to have it removed. Credit Bureaus are tricky, since they are trained not to give in t0o people whining and giving sob stories about why their bad credit should not be reported. So when there is an error, they treat it the same way. Ladies, remember to cross strap your purse, meaining, over the left shoulder, hangs on your right. Cross body. Keep it in front of your hip as well, so you can glance down and see it. Keeping it cross body means it is tighter around your body, which helps you notice if someone touches it a lot more than if it is hanging on one side. As well, it protects you from snatch and run attempts. Cross body means it cannot slip off of your shoulder. The thief has to stop and pull on the purse to break the strap, meaning he has to stop. If he stops, you get to see him, and so does everyone else. Just a few ways to protect your vital pieces of ID from the thiefs who would steal identities. Or just people who would steal anything. Petty theft, bleh, more trouble than it is worth!

To Laurieheels, thank you for your input and tips. And to WarrenB, that was a great article that sent chills up and down my spine. It also made me mad.

click .... click .... click .... The sensual sound of stiletto heels on a hard surface.

• 11 months later...

Here is something that none of you suggested to prevent idenity theft. Purchase a paper shreader that will cross-shread everything so that none of it can later be pieced together again. Their cost is reasonable and you should shread anything that comes into your household that has your name and address on. Think about it---this could be a cheap way to help prevent identiy theft. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

DawnHH; That is a very good suggestion about paper shredders. Here is something I learned about handling classified documents when I was in the military. Whenever I want to discard any document that has personal information about me (my social security number, bank account numbers, credit applications, old checks, etc.), I would crumple each page separately and place them in a paper grocery bag. When the bag gets full, I burn them either in my chimney or in a large metal can outdoors. When the fire goes out, I stir up the ashes and look to verify if everything burned. When performing this method, I make sure I crumple each page separately. If I don't, only the top and bottom pages and the edges of the stack will burn. Oxygen cannot reach the inside pages in the stack so they won't burn. A fire requires three elements: heat, fuel and oxygen. If you remove any one or more, you won't be able to create or sustain a fire. If you choose to use the method I describe above, you do so at your own risk. What I described above is for entertainment purposes.

Excellent resources, all! It happened to me a while back, and no kidding took two years to clear up - and I'd caught it within two days of it happening. It didn't take a lot of man-hours (although more than 100), but it still took two years for the various companies to give in to all the police reports, letters from my bank, stores, etc. And I had to do the legwork! One more thing that I don't think was mentioned: Keep your receipts. I'm not talking about things like when you bought a load of groceries for cash. But if you paid by check, be sure to keep the receipt until you see the cancelled check. If you paid via credit card, keep the receipt for at least one year. By doing so it may be easier for you to spot when your identity has been stolen, but the real benefit is that you have a strong case - "I keep every receipt for everything I've ever purchased. Whaddya mean I bought a TV in St. Louis? I've never been to St. Louis! See, here are all my receipts, plane tickets, hotel bills, etc. for the last year. Where in here does it say I went to St. Louis?" Shredder. Get one. Cross-cut if you can afford it (about twice the price of the cheapies). Use it for everything, unless you enjoy nice roaring fires in the winter! Sigh... Can't do that here in Vegas like we could back in Colorado...

Genebujold:-) All of the ideas presented are great and I'm glad that you re-visited my suggestion of getting a shredder. We have one and use it daily and we try not to let any numbers or addresses get out of here without being shredded. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!