Disability, needing help

lauren0225

Ok when I was 19 I was hit by a car and it sherded the nerve in my right leg beyond repair. I am 31 now and over the years I have learned how to walk. With a brace no one can tell about my leg and with out I have a slight limp. With this nerve damage I have no mussel control below my knee. I am able to were heels as long as they are chunky heels (2" wide). But I am looking for something a lil more slander (attractive) but I will have to have better ankle support. Then the traditional high heel shoe offers. A lot of stuff is harder for me now then before and I am willing to spend the time to learn how to were what ever. So any styles or advice is fully welcome. So is there any suggestions.

Since stiletto heels are not an option, you might consider blade style heels which were popular in the late 90's. They had a wide base but had a thin profile. Or you could find shoes/boots with a thin chunky heel. How high can you go, heel wise? There are shoes/boots out there with a slim chunky heel which aren't very high but are still attractive. Remember also that a big factor in making heels attractive is the sound that they make while walking. It's funny observing a bunch of guys starting to scan the area in search of the origin of the clicking noise of heels.

Ok when I was 19 I was hit by a car and it sherded the nerve in my right leg beyond repair. I am 31 now and over the years I have learned how to walk. With a brace no one can tell about my leg and with out I have a slight limp. With this nerve damage I have no mussel control below my knee. I am able to were heels as long as they are chunky heels (2" wide). But I am looking for something a lil more slander (attractive) but I will have to have better ankle support. Then the traditional high heel shoe offers. A lot of stuff is harder for me now then before and I am willing to spend the time to learn how to were what ever. So any styles or advice is fully welcome. So is there any suggestions.

'Lauren'...you have my total sympathy. I have a chronic lower back problem (ruptured lumbar disc), which has permanently damaged my left sciatic nerve. The result is some muscle wasting in my left calf...and a dropped left foot. So like you, I often have trouble with very high heels.

I wear heel styles like 'clog' style mules and strappy sandals with good ankle straps. Clog mules have more slender heels than your 2" wide ones, but they are still thick enough for stability...and they also have broader soles too which is a great help. With strappy sandals, I wear the styles that have ankle straps, or straps that go up my legs, which give my ankles more support and make it easier to walk.

Boots are far easier as they give me complete support all the way to my knee....and higher if they are thigh length of course.

It took me about 2 years to get used to walking in high heels again after my injury...but with a lot of patience and practice I got there in the end. I don't wear heels any higher than 3" or 3.5" for regular everyday wear now....I can sometimes go up to 5" for walking but I'm forever taking 'rest breaks' as my left foot and leg get so tired!

Generally, for everyday use now, I try and stick to heels that have 'thicker' stilettos and broader soles. Thinner spike heels, and fetish heels over 5" are reserved for 'special' occasions, modelling....and the bedroom!

"Good Girls keep diaries....Bad Girls just don't have the time...!:icon_twisted:"

PiB, you need to be commended for our courage and dedication. Many women with much less severe conditions just give up ALL heels including the indoor variety. Some might say you are vain and others even less kind but I am happy to see your attitude and corresponding actions. You are a bright spot in my life.

Yes the sciatic nerve was completely severed (mid thigh). so I have absolutely no control over my calf or ankle. So no tip toes for me. Lol. I am 5' 11" so I would never were extremely high heels. 2" is high enough. My father is 6'7" and mother is 6’ on the dot so I guess I am lucky I am not taller. Lol. I like boots but nothing over the knee. I just am needing something tight so it will support my ankle. I guess my main goal is to find a good brand with support and that will open a huge selection of widths for me. Lauren

Hang in there Lauren, and know that we are all pulling for you. There's some great advice here already, and from folks probably more knowledgable than I, but let me reitterate what PIB said about boots. They really give great support, espcially if they are real leather and lace up good and tight. I've had 2 surguries on my R Knee for ACL and meniscal tears, and I recently tore my Left ACL. Boots work wonders. One other thing you might think about would be the hour-glass shaped heels, I think they are called Cuban Heels. The ones that start out wide, get skinny in the middle and flare out at the bottom. I have a pair of these and find them to be really stable. Best of luck, and keep us up on your progress.

Hang in there Lauren, and know that we are all pulling for you. There's some great advice here already, and from folks probably more knowledgable than I, but let me reitterate what PIB said about boots. They really give great support, espcially if they are real leather and lace up good and tight. I've had 2 surguries on my R Knee for ACL and meniscal tears, and I recently tore my Left ACL. Boots work wonders.

One other thing you might think about would be the hour-glass shaped heels, I think they are called Cuban Heels. The ones that start out wide, get skinny in the middle and flare out at the bottom. I have a pair of these and find them to be really stable.

Best of luck, and keep us up on your progress.

Do you mean a Louis Heel The attached pictues are of a 4" heel and are easy to walk in and are very stable.

post-11426-13352291383_thumb.jpg

post-11426-133522913836_thumb.jpg